Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    CS applicant here, I feel like I completely screwed this one up :/ I did way better with the past tests, especially the MC questions. I knew only around 4, semi-guessed 3 and totally guessed 3. I did all of the questions 5,6,7 so hopefully my solutions were correct. And question 2 ? I skipped it at first and you know what ? I forgot about it . I'm embarrassed. Realized it with 5 minutes left. I guess I wouldn't have known how to do it anyways...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ainsley94)
    From what I've gathered from other past poles and comments this test was at least 2 standard deviations in average less then the past papers. Im not sure why this one was so rigorous. As to the comment about the cut off being 70, this cannot be true.
    No offence intended, but I've been around long enough to see these MAT threads for the past four years (including the one I took in 2010) and everyone who takes the paper always thinks it's harder and unlike any other past paper each year, yet the average amongst successful applicants has consistently stayed around 70 marks - which is no coincidence. The mere nature of using the past papers for practice, being able to do it at your own pace in your own home and the fact that the MAT is incredibly straight forward once you know the little tricks needed for the individual questions means that they always end up seeming a lot easier than the new paper you've had to do under rushed conditions.

ReputationRep:
    This is weird, I thought the MC were easier than normal (in general, obviously that floor function one was ridiculous), though the long answers (2 and the one about kf(t) were harder).

Maybe, just maybe my estimated score of 55-60 will get me an interview!

Still wouldn't be surprised with a swift rejection though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    No offence intended, but I've been around long enough to see these MAT threads for the past four years (including the one I took in 2010) and everyone who takes the paper always thinks it's harder and unlike any other past paper each year, yet the average amongst successful applicants has consistently stayed around 70 marks - which is no coincidence. The mere nature of using the past papers for practice, being able to do it at your own pace in your own home and the fact that the MAT is incredibly straight forward once you know the little tricks needed for the individual questions means that they always end up seeming a lot easier than the new paper you've had to do under rushed conditions.
    I still think that the average will go down by a few marks. Having got over the shock, I still think that Q1 was comparatively harder than previous years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Someone from Oxford (user gavinlowe) said that Q1 was harder on this paper than in previous years a few pages back. That being said, I felt like Q3-5 were easier than in past years, so who knows?

ReputationRep:
    For the floor function question, you first need to understand that the graph looks like a staircase. Then stick some numbers on the axes at each step and calculate the integral as the sum of a bunch of rectanges (hence the factorials). If it's any consolation, I only worked this out just after I finished the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Integrator)
    how many a*s u get
    Just thought I'd drop in to say that your username is fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President Snow)
    For the floor function question, you first need to understand that the graph looks like a staircase. Then stick some numbers on the axes at each step and calculate the integral as the sum of a bunch of rectanges (hence the factorials). If it's any consolation, I only worked this out just after I finished the exam
    I knew that the graph looked like a suitcase but the factorials just confused me. I even sketched the damn thing!

ReputationRep:
    What did people get for the last part of question 5? I got 40095 but both my friends got around 50,000

ReputationRep:
    the trick with floor function was to just try some values .. Like if u try n=1 ... u can immediately eliminate A and C ... then after further trying I think I got B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omar333)
    What did people get for the last part of question 5? I got 40095 but both my friends got around 50,000
    I tackled it like this: Every digit from 0 to 9 appears 100 times as a first digit, 100 times as a second digit and 100 times as a third digit of a number. Therefore the sum of all digit-sums from 000-999 is equal to 3*100*(1+2+...+8+9)=3*100*45=135 00.

ReputationRep:
    I thought q2 was time consuming ... but doable .... however not sure about q5 .. cause u never know whether u missed any numbers. The remainder one was tricky but i think I got n/2 at the end. Also for the d^2/y question ... I worked out the coefficent of x^7 and thought it was 0.. so thought it was a trick question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsforlife)
    the trick with floor function was to just try some values .. Like if u try n=1 ... u can immediately eliminate A and C ... then after further trying I think I got B.
    Oh god... why o why did I not try this... What was B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dutchmaths)
    Oh god... why o why did I not try this... What was B?
    I think it looked like n2^n - some log stuff

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one find this paper much harder than the past papers.
    I got all over 70 in the past papers ( I marked it myself, so a bit bias)
    Anyway, before taking the test, I was quite confident to get over 60.
    But then, I am so depressed right now.

Q.1 Hopefully get at least 8 (the integral of [2^x] dont really now what's going on. Anyone know the answer?)
    Q.2 Max.5( this just f__ked me up.)
    Q.3 9-10 i guess (dont get the last part)
    Q.4 12-15 (quite straight forward, may have made some silly mistake)
    Q.5 10-12 (dont have enough time to do it)

I really hope i would get over 70. But it's quite impossible for me now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigcrazysix)
    Am I the only one find this paper much harder than the past papers.
    I don't think so. If you look at this thread some people found it easier and others harder. Personally I think that the first 6 questions of the multi-choice were easier than normal, and the final 4 were harder than normal.

The remainder of the paper was easier than normal, apart from Q6 which was slightly harder than normal and in line with 2012. Still quite an easy question, just harder than in some past years (excluding 2012 which was similar IMO). I know you didn't do this question, but it was designed so you actually had to use a bit of thought rather than just drawing up a table and trialling every possible solution in turn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsforlife)
    I thought q2 was time consuming ... but doable .... however not sure about q5 .. cause u never know whether u missed any numbers. The remainder one was tricky but i think I got n/2 at the end. Also for the d^2/y question ... I worked out the coefficent of x^7 and thought it was 0.. so thought it was a trick question.
    No freaking way. I put B) 7 for the coefficient question. But why would they do that? Surely you can't be expected to do the whole binomial expansion and differentiate for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkanm)
    suit case? hmmm... im pretty sure its staircase (As in steps, because it's a discrete function (only takes integral values, as opposed to continuous)
    Lol, woops, I meant staircase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    No freaking way. I put B) 7 for the coefficient question. But why would they do that? Surely you can't be expected to do the whole binomial expansion and differentiate for that?
    u didnt have to do that ... only luk at coefficient of x^7 .. ignore rest.

ReputationRep:
    Does your MAT score have to be better for Maths & CS? As Question 6 is usually much easier than the rest of the paper each year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.