Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Current Year 13 Thread (2013/14) - Mark I Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frazer151)
    Well, compared to many my grades suck. But ahh well. And yea, but I plan on moving to Japan after University, so I wan't to have about 3/4 years of Japanese by the time of get there. I plan on doing Computer Science.
    Not as bad as some though lets think that . Ah awesome - I'm definitely going to visit Japan either after or during the university years. and again great choice I personally plan on studying maths at degree level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilGem)
    I applied last year and will be going to university this year (I posted regularly on here last year )

I did anatomy and physiology workshops- involved dissections, tutored in biology, did some work experience in clinical settings and the oceanography center, CSLA, organised a fundraising event and played lacrosse for the regional team that's off the top of my head
    Ahhh right! Which university are you going to? I'm assuming you're doing Biology!

(Original post by Epic Flawless)
    I feel like I don't have much room to put ECs in my personal statement but I've mentioned my volunteering, my entry into an essay competition where I was shortlisted, LSE open lectures that I attended, reading that I've done, work experience at JPMorgan, participation at a debating competition, sports (in the chess and rugby team). I actually have a DofE silver but it isn't spectular/relevant enough to be mentioned? How about you?
    Oooh, mine is mainly based around my sport so far (Modern Pentathlon), which I have represented Great Britain at twice! Aside from that, I've got Captain of my swim club, Level 1 Swim Teaching certificate, Young Enterprise and Duke of Edinburgh Silver (which I have included )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    Fair enough although from my experience, mums know nothing about suits

I take it you're planning on applying there as well

I detect a hint of sarcasm here
    my mum is pretty good as she has to deal with my dad who works for a bank so he has to wear one everyday :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone suggest some EC things relating to Geography? Here are some ideas I've got so far:

- Join RGS or other societies
    - Read a load of complicated books
    - HELP???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Ok, so for the time being we have a free health service... better than nothing
    Haha nice Plans for next 2 weeks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwkwardLemur)
    Ahhh right! Which university are you going to? I'm assuming you're doing Biology!
    I am indeed

Going to UEA, but also received offers from Exeter, Sheffield, Oxford Brookes and withdrew from QUB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Not as bad as some though lets think that . Ah awesome - I'm definitely going to visit Japan either after or during the university years. and again great choice I personally plan on studying maths at degree level
    Problem with maths for me is that I enjoy applying things I learnt to practical purposes, for instance programming a game. So learning pure maths would bore me to death. What is it about maths that you enjoy? Though I would imagine it becomes way more applied at University level.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone suggest some EC things relating to Geography? Here are some ideas I've got so far:

- HELP???
    EPQ?

ReputationRep:
    What course you're going to apply for: American Studies and English
    Your AS subjects (and grades if you like): English Literature, Media and Geography
    Your A2 subjects (and predicted/actual grades if you want to): English Literature, Media and Geography
    What universities you're thinking of applying to and their decisions (when it comes to that): Nottingham, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Derby and Swansea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    my mum is pretty good as she has to deal with my dad who works for a bank so he has to wear one everyday :lol:
    Makes more sense I guess my mum has no input tbh, she's just there to pay for it :lol:

ReputationRep:
    EPQ?
    Our school doesn't offer EPQ at all is there another way of doing it somehow?

ReputationRep:
    Problem with maths for me is that I enjoy applying things I learnt to practical purposes, for instance programming a game. So learning pure maths would bore me to death. What is it about maths that you enjoy? Though I would imagine it becomes way more applied at University level.
    You can apply pure maths (especially vectors and matrices in general to programming a game). Most of pure maths is quite useful when it is applied, e.g. integration, differentiation and Prime numbers are actually quite useful in various different fields.
    All of it honestly - the proof aspect, the satisfaction of reaching a solution, that its genuinely fun, logical and important in society. Yeah I don't have an idea yet but I still see many of the a-level basics completely explored in depth and new concepts such as groups and sets as well so its a different playing field basically.

ReputationRep:
    Our school doesn't offer EPQ at all is there another way of doing it somehow?
    Maybe you could try the Google Science fair thing? Not sure.

https://www.googlesciencefair.com/en/2013/

ReputationRep:

- HELP???
    Create an Eco committee at your school/college. It kinda depends on whether youre interested in physical or human, and pretty much anything can relate to human anyway , find out about local geographical talks and listen to them

ReputationRep:
    Makes more sense I guess my mum has no input tbh, she's just there to pay for it :lol:
    my dad is very indecisive with clothes :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    my dad is very indecisive with clothes :lol:

How so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    You can apply pure maths (especially vectors and matrices in general to programming a game). Most of pure maths is quite useful when it is applied, e.g. integration, differentiation and Prime numbers are actually quite useful in various different fields.
    All of it honestly - the proof aspect, the satisfaction of reaching a solution, that its genuinely fun, logical and important in society. Yeah I don't have an idea yet but I still see many of the a-level basics completely explored in depth and new concepts such as groups and sets as well so its a different playing field basically.
    Well, whatever you enjoy is what you enjoy. Though yes, I've noticed many of my math topics being used in my programming I do for a hobby. Though in honesty, only really my mechanics, which I did in both physics and maths, so I didn't really needed to have done maths. But no, I was planning on doing physics, partially for the same reasons as you, but decided against it when I realized how dull a career in it felt to me.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough although from my experience, mums know nothing about suits

I take it you're planning on applying there as well

I detect a hint of sarcasm here

Edit: Endless, you're a bit weird eccentric aren't you? :evilbanana:
    No, I think Nottingham is an awesome university. I doubt I'll apply there though because the Law faculty is notoriously stingy for degree classifications (5% 1st; 50% 2.1 only) and getting at least a 2.1 is essential in Law if you want a job afterwards. The campus though :love:

And I have no idea what you're talking about :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    How so?
    should I have x with y ? mum yeah that's nice .... gets to till, about to pay dad goes WAIT .. shall I have y with z

then that continues for about half an hour until mum decides she's had enough and then she picks usually :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I intend to study economics at uni and am looking at top unis like LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc.

Just wanted some advice regarding choosing my A2's - is doing economics and business as two separate A levels highly jeapordising my chances at such unis? as i have noticed some mentions stating that such a combination is looked down at by unis due to some overlapping circular?

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.