Turn on thread page Beta

The Football League thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Bye Barnsley :wavey:

ReputationRep:
    Bah a loss to Bolton today, alas at least we're safe. Got some valuable game time for the next of our apparent prospects (Jack Stobbs) at least.

(Original post by Silver Arrows)
    Bye Barnsley :wavey:
    I can't decided if i'm happy about this or not. For years they've been punching above their weight and avoiding relegation but then again they're an easy 6 points and apparently a 'local derby' :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Fully deserved win for Derby and could quite easily have been 7 or 8. Disappointed to concede when they only had 10 men though as Watford were generally very poor.

Shout out to the Watford team as well for some excellent play-acting/time-wasting/being dicks. Never seen so much rolling around on the floor and chasing the ref around in my life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott129)
    Fully deserved win for Derby and could quite easily have been 7 or 8. Disappointed to concede when they only had 10 men though as Watford were generally very poor.

Shout out to the Watford team as well for some excellent play-acting/time-wasting/being dicks. Never seen so much rolling around on the floor and chasing the ref around in my life!
    Watford were absolutely dreadful, especially in the first half. Although Hendrick's second goal was brilliant, Watford had no right to equalise in the first place.

I also wouldn't call out on the play-acting. Ekstrand and McGugan both went off injured after rolling around, and the only real time running at the ref was prevalent was when they thought they should have had a penalty.

Clearly Watford were taking the game as if the season had already ended - which it has now - which isn't great to see from a fan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billybo_h)
    Watford were absolutely dreadful, especially in the first half. Although Hendrick's second goal was brilliant, Watford had no right to equalise in the first place.

I also wouldn't call out on the play-acting. Ekstrand and McGugan both went off injured after rolling around, and the only real time running at the ref was prevalent was when they thought they should have had a penalty.

Clearly Watford were taking the game as if the season had already ended - which it has now - which isn't great to see from a fan.
    Oh please, your numbers 28 and 15 (sorry, I don't know Italian football that well) spent the majority of the first half in the ref's ear, after clashing with Martin and Forsyth respectively. And, just for the record, what "penalty" would that have been?

As for the play-acting, fair enough you had two players actually go off. But there was still a hell of a lot of rolling around (Pudil especially, I noticed - that guy seemed to have an aversion to aerial battles) and it only seemed to be when you were level. Funny how that works out.

Credit to you for actually trying to play football though. Most teams come and just shut up shop for 90 minutes.

What did you think to Forsyth as well, out of interest? Not bad for 150K!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    May the worst team win! Good luck sir.
    Very surprised that the game was so close in the end, and seemingly very generous of you to give us an equaliser after our best efforts to mess it up
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Oh, could it be possible? Blackpool v Fleetwood in League One next year. And yet, just three years ago Blackpool were Premier League while Fleetwood were non-League.
    No chance. That win today has saved them, it'll be Donny or Birmingham.

Have to feel a bit sorry for Brum. If they go down they won't be coming back for a good few years.

(Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    I can't decided if i'm happy about this or not. For years they've been punching above their weight and avoiding relegation but then again they're an easy 6 points and apparently a 'local derby' :lol:
    Oakwell has a top notch away end too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigWM)
    Playoffs are so last year, mid table safety is where the real money's at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You have a lot to learn-playing 35 miles from your home town is what all the cool kids are looking at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    I'm not particularly looking forward to the matches against them and their fans... but I am lookng forward to the guaranteed 6 points We seem to have a bit of a curse over Luton.
    Not that any of that'll matter, as we'll be in League 1 anyway... (A man can dream, no?!)

Would be good to see Halifax in League 2 be nice to have another slightly more local club to face!
    You might not have to dream, you're in the play-offs!

All over in the Conference Leagues.

Can't quite believe what happened to Chester, even as a Wrexham fan I am genuinely gutted to see them relegated. I enjoy our derbies and even though they managed to take 4 points off us this season it's been nice to have them back in the league with us. What a crazy end though, just as Salisbury scored to make it 2-2, Hereford scored moments later to make them swap places, all in the 87th minute. As for Wrexham, i'm glad to see the season over. Only five of our players have contracts for next season, so I'm expecting to see a completely different Wrexham team on the pitch next season. A fresh start for Kevin Wilkin could be something we need. A season to forget. Halifax managed to keep that play-off place too! Halifax v Cambridge and Grimsby v Gateshead in the play-offs.

In the North Telford were promoted today, not a bad away trip so I don't mind seeing them return. Wouldn't mind seeing Hednesford Town promoted in the play-offs, a different ground not too far away.

Crazy end in the South too with Dover scoring a late penalty against Hayes and Yeading to get them into the playoffs and to relegate Hayes and Yeading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    Nigel Adkins' dedication to fitness really impresses me. That was a great result for Reading today and their ability to keep going for the full 90 minutes could be the difference for them this season.

I just wish I had waited till half time to place this!

Attachment 280312
    Who puts £175 on a football game?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Who puts £175 on a football game?
    It's how I make my living. £175 is tiny compared to some folk.

ReputationRep:
    Oh please, your numbers 28 and 15 (sorry, I don't know Italian football that well) spent the majority of the first half in the ref's ear, after clashing with Martin and Forsyth respectively. And, just for the record, what "penalty" would that have been?

As for the play-acting, fair enough you had two players actually go off. But there was still a hell of a lot of rolling around (Pudil especially, I noticed - that guy seemed to have an aversion to aerial battles) and it only seemed to be when you were level. Funny how that works out.

Credit to you for actually trying to play football though. Most teams come and just shut up shop for 90 minutes.

28 is (Hungarian) Daniel Toszer. Admittedly he was going down fairly easily, but I think that's more down to weakness than play acting. Number 15 is currently out on loan, but 13 is Ranegie - the massive striker next to Deeney who scored the second goal. Would hardly say he went down a lot, although he is quite arrogant to the ref - guess being Zlatan's international teammate has rubbed off on him.

Pudil was dreadful today, that clearance he attempted that led to your first goal was shockingly bad. Although he was nothing on the back three; that move that had all three follow the player with the ball, which he then laid off to the right of him was amateur. I know Angella was missing from the defence, but I didn't think he had that much impact upon the organisation.

I appreciate the sentiment about trying to play football, but Watford were terrible. The first half was an endless slog of misplaced passes characterised by a lack of effort. We had no right to score one goal, let alone two.

Forsyth is a weird one; looked like he had no football experience when we signed him. He failed to control the ball, had a terrible shot (a fact he disproved today) and all he offered was a lot of running. Most people were glad to see him leave, but he has blossomed with you.

Eustace has been the real loss; left as club captain, and, although he hardly played last year, his experience and reputation have not been replaced. Zola said that his leaving, and Zola's failure to replace him, was one of the reasons for the failure this season, with no one to hold the egos down and the squad in repute.

Pleased for you though; you play - in my opinion - the best football in the division, and the high intensity game is a delight to watch. Would very much like to see you go up through the play-offs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    It's how I make my living. £175 is tiny compared to some folk.
    Glad it's you and not me then!

ReputationRep:
    Glad it's you and not me then!
    Everything's relative. If you can afford to lose £175 then it's no different to betting £1 if you can afford to lose it.

ReputationRep:
    Really impressed with Reading, they won the u21 premier league cup, had a better injured 1st 11 than the team on the field for lots of the time, with an absent owner and no money, and still squeezing into the playoffs (hopefully).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)

Can't quite believe what happened to Chester, even as a Wrexham fan I am genuinely gutted to see them relegated. I enjoy our derbies and even though they managed to take 4 points off us this season it's been nice to have them back in the league with us. What a crazy end though, just as Salisbury scored to make it 2-2, Hereford scored moments later to make them swap places, all in the 87th minute.
    I was keeping up to date with this and it was very surprising. But Chester have rocketed through the leagues since going out of business so it must be difficult to keep improving at that rate.

On another note, did anyone see that AFC Fylde finished 3rd in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier with 93 points? Crazy.

ReputationRep:

I heard nothing about a penalty that supposedly should have been given... Toszer(28) only is in the refs ear because he wants to win more than most players at the club, which is stupid as he's on loan from Genoa...

They're European, they play football by rolling around. You should have seem Fabbrini.

Forsyth? McClaren should be given Manager of the year just for turning him into something that resembles a footballer, he was shocking for us.

Our seasons over now, the summer must bring the permenant signing of Toszer, keeping Deeney/Angella or signing immediate replacements, not Italian deadwood. Sign a few players with Championship experience, as well as a replacement for Vydra, or Vydra himself. Bring Fabbrini back, on his day, which so far have been few and far, he wrecks havoc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)

Can't quite believe what happened to Chester, even as a Wrexham fan I am genuinely gutted to see them relegated. I enjoy our derbies and even though they managed to take 4 points off us this season it's been nice to have them back in the league with us. What a crazy end though, just as Salisbury scored to make it 2-2, Hereford scored moments later to make them swap places, all in the 87th minute. As for Wrexham, i'm glad to see the season over. Only five of our players have contracts for next season, so I'm expecting to see a completely different Wrexham team on the pitch next season. A fresh start for Kevin Wilkin could be something we need. A season to forget. Halifax managed to keep that play-off place too! Halifax v Cambridge and Grimsby v Gateshead in the play-offs.

In the North Telford were promoted today, not a bad away trip so I don't mind seeing them return. Wouldn't mind seeing Hednesford Town promoted in the play-offs, a different ground not too far away.

Crazy end in the South too with Dover scoring a late penalty against Hayes and Yeading to get them into the playoffs and to relegate Hayes and Yeading.
    Are we really?! It still hasn't sunk in that I'm not actually dreaming all this!
    Our form in 2014 has been nothing short of phenomenal. 48pts from 66, only 8 goals conceded. 2nd best in Lg 2 is Burton over this time, with a whopping 17 goals conceded! And if you go from Feb, rather than Jan, ours goes to just 3 conceded!

I was sad to see about Chester - thought they might just do it when they won last week, but alas, not to be.

Sounds like you'll be having a big changeover of players! Any in particular you've got your eyes on?

I'd quite like any of those in the play offs to go up. Cambridge, because they've suffered the conf long enough, Gateshead cos of Gary Mills, Grimsby because of all the former York players who are there, and Halifax, as it's a local away trip!

ReputationRep:
    Very surprised that the game was so close in the end, and seemingly very generous of you to give us an equaliser after our best efforts to mess it up
    Knew it'd be close, we don't beat you that well. Actually from memory you're the only team this season we haven't managed to beat - have a trophy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    Knew it'd be close, we don't beat you that well. Actually from memory you're the only team this season we haven't managed to beat - have a trophy
    If we were run with any modicum of common sense you'd have been on the end of a spanking

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.