Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neji123)
    You never know it could count as 2 separate points if you were able to write at length about both of them. But if it's considered as 2 relevant points and you wrote about them well and evaluated effectively you could still get about 15 marks
    Okay great, thanks that given me a lot of peace of mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHenri)
    hey i think for the unit labour costs both things are pretty valid, Inflation sounds good, didnt think of that.

I guess immigration policy for the 15 marker could still be accepted as it has to do with labour, but not sure. Do you think it will be accepted for unit labour cost question?
    i guess it depends on how you explained it, do you remember what you wrote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexovic)
    Used the data to show that potential GDP was falling below current GDP. Did an AD and PPF diagram. I struggled to think what else to put so I just explained two factors that have caused the predicted GDP to be lower.
    I think I said something about greece and their crisis they are on. I think I may of accidentally put the projected GDP as if it was the real figures so like GDP was ... Will I be penalised?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by combes)
    Yes but arguably they did also move it back down from 50 to 45 which is more important, and yes thats right I don't not what I was thinking, I was just naming all the ways of decreasing a budget deficit basically!
    If it was in the period stated that they increase it then that will be relevant I'm sure you will get the marks I just wrote about VAT increasing, the UK recovering from the recession, and decreased expenditure such as the benefit cap. Not too sure about the recovering from the recession bit though but we did start to grow in the time period sooo...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did a similar structure. Did two/three points on how development was determined by economic growth and then evaluated how development was also influenced by aid, micro finance and for some reason I did debt cancellation.
    this question was a setup i swear. i was confused for 5 minutes. it said 'analyse the view that economics development is dependent on economic growth' so it is saying in order to develop you need to grow first (which is so stupid as it should be the other way. )
    it should have said economics growth is dependent on economic development. i argued the latter so hopefully we're not capped

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you had to do a point on savings gap and three other points of constraining economic growth. Then obviously evaluate each factor.

There's probably many different ways of structuring the essay.
    hope so, or i am screwed as section b was a mess

ReputationRep:
    For the data respone can you get the application marks for just stating 2 pieces of data? Someone said you needed to link it to to the question but I was always taught you get 2 marks by just giving 2 pieces of data. I've already lost enough marks as it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farringtonn)
    For the data respone can you get the application marks for just stating 2 pieces of data? Someone said you needed to link it to to the question but I was always taught you get 2 marks by just giving 2 pieces of data. I've already lost enough marks as it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have always been taught it was only 1 figure or compare/contrast 2.

ReputationRep:
    I have always been taught it was only 1 figure or compare/contrast 2.
    Yeah, but can you just state them or do you need to use them to explain the answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So is the general consensus that 3b was answered by saying why the savings gap might be a constraint and then other points to suggest otherwise?

I can't see how it could be answered any other way, there is certainly not 4 points available to talk about the savings gap. It is a very small proportion of the syllabus and is usually tied into other constraints placed on developing economies.

I think if they wanted another structure they are going to need to ask some questions on the ambiguity of the wording and also explain how on earth they expected us to answer the question any differently.

Hard paper, very tricky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swaany)
    i guess it depends on how you explained it, do you remember what you wrote?
    I wrote that stricter immigration policy reduced the ability of firms to get cheap labour from abroad and had to hire native workers, which demanded higher wages, hence higher unit labour costs.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote that stricter immigration policy reduced the ability of firms to get cheap labour from abroad and had to hire native workers, which demanded higher wages, hence higher unit labour costs.
    Wasn't it just factors that influenced unit labour costs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you had to use 4 factors, one being savings gap, the rest being other factors such as primary product dependancy, debt, lack of infrastructure for example. And then evaluate each, also saying which ws most significant.
    If i only wrote about the savings gap as a constraint and then three other constraints that counts only as analysis right? How many marks can you got for this?

ReputationRep:
    direct and indirect taxes both are relevant.. i think so! but you could have talked about fiscal austerity measures undertaken by all spain, greece, and italy. so under that measure both income and indirect taxes are taken into count. but for evaluation its better if u had argued about the side effects of increasing income tax.. what do you think guys? because under a recession period increasing taxes could make them even more vulnerable right?. and guys can we talk about the bailout packages given by IMF and German economy to greece. so national debt would fall and debt servicing could be reduced so fiscal deficit could have fallen? can we right?

ReputationRep:
    cant we talked about the bail out packages given?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedDevil014)
    If i only wrote about the savings gap as a constraint and then three other constraints that counts only as analysis right? How many marks can you got for this?
    If you did not evaluate at all you are capped at 21/30

ReputationRep:
    yeah that sounds about right hope they accept it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teacher2014)
    aminkaram

The easiest essay question to score highly on was number 1, followed by number 3. There was no significant difference between the demands of these essays from previous "standard" years. On the essay section, 35/50 would be very possible for an A grade student.

However, the data response section was very tricky in places, in particular under the stresses of an examination environment. I would guess that around 30/50 would be a reasonable approximation of where an A grade student should be.

So, overall, I would hazard an approximation of around 65/100 raw marks would correlate to an A grade, to reflect the difficulty of this paper. However, whether you actually get rewarded what you deserve may well be out of your control and contingent upon the quality of the examiners that Edexcel has managed to recruit this year. If they have failed to recruit experienced examiners who are able to reward decent points of explanation and evaluation which are not on the mark scheme (and who instead mark robotically and with a lack of confidence from the mark scheme), then many students may be extremely disappointed with their outcomes. I hope that the board has resolved last year's recruitment difficulties.

Any chance you can give us the kind of things they would award marks for on question 1 and 5?

What do you think would be the grade boundary for an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neji123)
    For my evaluation on the EMU I said that some countries may decide to leave so that they can change their fiscal policy according to their own macroeconomic interests, I forgot to mention that the criteria has been loosened but I think that the other point I mentioned should still be valid. What did you for 1b?
    That sounds good to me

I put
    disincentives to work - i commented on how it was only for the high income earners so it is more like to stop them seeking overtime or promotion rather than staying on benefits
    tax avoidance tax evasion - gave example of Phillip Green in the uk who avoids paying his taxes commented on how media attention and pressure group may cause them to pay anyway
    tax revenues increase - evaluation luffa curve
    capital flight (move out the country) - likely as europe have free movement of labour and countries like the UK only have max 40% tax
    disincentives for entrepreneurial activity - can't get their profits if they start their own business - but confidence is low anyway so not sure if this is currently likely to happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessyVis)
    wasn't the 1a question on why the budget deficit decreased in european countries?
    Yeah between 2009-2013 but initial cost of olympics wouldve been before 2009

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.