Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I did Maths, FM, Phys and Chemistry and was given an offer of A*AA with either A* in FM, A in Phys and Maths or A*A in Phys and Maths with A in either FM or Chemistry and I think this is pretty normal?
    Probably but I'm not so sure with my subjects (french...) and can't find an e-mail for the admissions tutor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick2810)
    Probably but I'm not so sure with my subjects (french...) and can't find an e-mail for the admissions tutor.
    I would guess the easiest email to use is probably [email protected]?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I would guess the easiest email to use is probably [email protected]?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    How come the entry requirements for Law are AAA whereas places like Nottingham, kcl, ucl, lse etc all want A*AA? Surely Oxford should be higher because it's so much better? I'm not complaining as it is a more realistic requirement but does that mean it would be easier to get in as opposed to Cambridge and the others who want A*AA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velvetgh0st)
    How come the entry requirements for Law are AAA whereas places like Nottingham, kcl, ucl, lse etc all want A*AA? Surely Oxford should be higher because it's so much better? I'm not complaining as it is a more realistic requirement but does that mean it would be easier to get in as opposed to Cambridge and the others who want A*AA?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Probably because they are confident that with the interviews and admissions test they have enough information to choose the best candidates, and they don't want to unnecessarily discourage potential applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velvetgh0st)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Most universities can only differentiate between candidates due to grades. However, the intensity of Oxford's application tests and interviews mean they have greater information from which to select the best candidates. Increasing entry requirements wouldn't really change the candidate pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: 2A*s 5As 4Bs 1C
    A-Levels: Expecting AAAB at AS, A* A* A A at A2
    Course: PPE
    College: Exeter

ReputationRep:
    Open day was amazing, a real eye opener.

I don't want to spill any beans but my first choice has now fallen by the wayside and one I was not even considering is now my top choice.

This just illustrates what everyone says - you gotta go and see the colleges for yourself.

Everyone at Oxford did a superb job in welcoming and guiding and encouraging and answering a million questions. Thank you all!

G'zzar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliverdobbs)
    GCSE grades: 2A*s 5As 4Bs 1C
    A-Levels: Expecting AAAB at AS, A* A* A A at A2
    Course: PPE
    College: Exeter
    I will be applying for PPE tooWhich uni did you consider?

Does anyone know the success rate (as in % getting offers) for Biochemistry last year?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by enaayrah)
      Does anyone know the success rate (as in % getting offers) for Biochemistry last year?
      26% ( http://university.which.co.uk/univer...ears-9000-c700 )

Oh, thanks! Really appreciate it
        • TSR Support Team
        • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Patrick2810)
        Is anyone familiar with the physics selection process? I understand they "may" specify which subject to get the third A in if one does 4 subjects. Is it common to give a student an open A*AA offer if they do 4 A2s, i.e can get the final A in either one of there other 2 subjs. ? e.g Maths, FM, Phys, French.
        thanks
        There is a good chance that they'd exclude French from the offer (e.g. asking for A*AA in Maths, Further Maths and Physics).

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Gerald DGrilla)

I don't want to spill any beans but my first choice has now fallen by the wayside and one I was not even considering is now my top choice.

This just illustrates what everyone says - you gotta go and see the colleges for yourself.

Everyone at Oxford did a superb job in welcoming and guiding and encouraging and answering a million questions. Thank you all!

G'zzar.
        That is great, although I would just add that how you feel on an open day is not necessarily reflective of how you will feel there, so if anyone ends up with an offer from a college they weren't particularly keen on at open day you will still probably end up loving it! (This is what happened to one of my best friends - she really didn't like our college on open day but now loves it (as the majority of people do)).

Just out of interest, what is your top choice now?

ReputationRep:
        G'zzar.
        This! I had Jesus already chosen in my UCAS form, but changed it when I got home! Open day was very helpful, thanks to all the students who helped

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by pak1994)
        That is great, although I would just add that how you feel on an open day is not necessarily reflective of how you will feel there, so if anyone ends up with an offer from a college they weren't particularly keen on at open day you will still probably end up loving it! (This is what happened to one of my best friends - she really didn't like our college on open day but now loves it (as the majority of people do)).

Just out of interest, what is your top choice now?
        I agree. I am sure that if I am lucky enough to get any offer that I will be thrilled and will throw myself into my college life to the max.

However, I firmly believe that you should try to find somewhere where you feel comfortable, and then apply there regardless of all the noise.

I also believe that lots of prior research is a good thing, but you must go and take the tour and talk to lots of people and ask all the questions that are important to you.

It was a long day and I went to quite a few colleges, but I am sure that I have found the one that suits me, which as I said, was not on my list before I went.

I don't want to say which college, but I urge future applicants to go out there and find out what works for them.

Very best, G

ReputationRep:
        I agree. I am sure that if I am lucky enough to get any offer that I will be thrilled and will throw myself into my college life to the max.

However, I firmly believe that you should try to find somewhere where you feel comfortable, and then apply there regardless of all the noise.

I also believe that lots of prior research is a good thing, but you must go and take the tour and talk to lots of people and ask all the questions that are important to you.

It was a long day and I went to quite a few colleges, but I am sure that I have found the one that suits me, which as I said, was not on my list before I went.

I don't want to say which college, but I urge future applicants to go out there and find out what works for them.

Very best, G

I agree with this, and I found the open day really helpful. I would frankly spend three years in a prison cell if that was part of the offer, but it is definitely worthwhile looking round and choosing a college that feels right.

I was bowled over by the open day.
        Which is kind of what I was worried about happening!

ReputationRep:
        If you guys have questions relating to Oxford at any point, please use #OxTweet on Twitter! We're a group of students who tweet about our lives at Oxford and answer any questions from that hashtag

ReputationRep:
        Hey, I'm from France and I'm planning to apply for History and Economics at oxford.
        I have my first bac results in the "Epreuves anticipées" which if I understand are our AS levels. In French written I got 13/20 (=a B), French oral 20/20 (=A*), sciences 17/20 (A-A*) and the TPE which is a sort of presentation and thesis paper that you work on for moths I got 19/20 (A*).
        I sit my main exams next year. I do the OIB so I sit A level history and English lit. I am in ES so my other main subjects are economy/sociology and Maths. My estimated bac grades in thes subjects are :
        17/20 in history (A-A*)
        16,5/20 in english lit (A)
        16/20 in maths (A- ?)
        15/20 in economics/sociology (A-)
        Oh and in my brevet (like GCSEs) I got 18,7/20 average which would be mostly As and A*
        How does this compare to the usual grades of oxford candidates ?

ReputationRep:
        I am sad to say that I would no longer be applying to Oxford thus putting an end to a 10 year old dream.
        As it turns out, apart from the extremely competitive Reach Scholarship, I would have no way to pay for the over 120,000 pound international tuition- it's not worth preparing for a difficult entrance test and self-studying further maths. Heading to the US or Canada in its stead.

Good luck to those who would be applying this year. I would miss this thread.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.