Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    FSAC on 4 December for GES. Still can't believe I passed the etray! For anyone interested: did mine on Friday, heard back this afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, has anyone who applied to the Communications scheme heard back about e-tray results or FSAC yet?

I completed mine on Friday and am anxiously waiting!

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Got my rejection through today... Guess I'll see some of you again next year and good luck to those who get onto it!

ReputationRep:
    The main thing that worries me is the group exercise. I have heard you can still vet good points even if you end up with your departments least favourite choice as long as you do it the right way, but I'm not sure what this means?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savdahn)
    The main thing that worries me is the group exercise. I have heard you can still vet good points even if you end up with your departments least favourite choice as long as you do it the right way, but I'm not sure what this means?
    There are six options and each person has a favourite option and least favourite option. As there are usually six people in the group one person will prefer option 1, one person option 2 etc. If as a group you decide that option 5 is the best option collectively and this happens to be your least favourite option then it does not count against you as long as you have put forward your argument against the option. Whereas, if you stand in the way of the group making a decision then this will have a negative impact on your result. So basically make sure you put your points across but in the final discussion don't refuse to accept the option the majority are agreeing to just because it is the option that is your least favourite. Hope that made some sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newtonfs)
    FSAC on the 15th Jan for the NI scheme. Seems to be very competitive, how do we best prepare for the day.

I have begun thinking about the interview but is there anymore literature about the other activities etc
    Congrats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyJane)
    There are six options and each person has a favourite option and least favourite option. As there are usually six people in the group one person will prefer option 1, one person option 2 etc. If as a group you decide that option 5 is the best option collectively and this happens to be your least favourite option then it does not count against you as long as you have put forward your argument against the option. Whereas, if you stand in the way of the group making a decision then this will have a negative impact on your result. So basically make sure you put your points across but in the final discussion don't refuse to accept the option the majority are agreeing to just because it is the option that is your least favourite. Hope that made some sense!
    It did! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    Got my rejection through today... Guess I'll see some of you again next year and good luck to those who get onto it!
    Sorry to hear that tilly, lots of people get through on their 2nd or 3rd (or sometimes more!) attempt, if you do reapply later down the line you will be better developed, and also if you've had more experience of graduate applications in general it gets easier. Best of luck with everything else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParetoOptimum)
    That is a very depressing thought

You seem to know a lot about the Civil Service structure. Would you be able to outline the main differences between the Fast Stream and entering the civil service at the same pay/seniority level, but outside the Fast Stream?

I understand the Fast Stream allows a number of different placements over the four years, with lots of support/training/networking and the expectation of future leadership. But does it offer a noticeable advantage in terms of advancing up the ranks compared to a non-Fast Streamer at the same initial seniority level? For example, entering the Civil Service as an Assistant Economist outside of the Fast Stream, rather than entering the Civil Service as a Fast Stream Assistant Economist?
    The only route in to be an economist is through the fast stream. You can get a temporary appointment as an assistant economist outside the fast stream but you can only get made permanent through getting on the economist fast stream. There are 'experienced hires' that come in from outside the civil service but those come in at higher levels, at least Grade 7.

However outside of the economist profession if the question is how much advantage is there for a graduate to come in as a fast streamer rather than getting an HEO (fast stream equivalent) or an EO post (one grade below) outside of the fast stream I don't think the difference is as marked as it was. In the old days it was very much seen that fast streamers were prioritised in terms of training and being 'made for rapid promotion' but maybe back then all the good graduates that came in were fast streamers, in recent years with a tighter job market for graduates generally there have been more good graduates coming in on EO jobs and to be honest for a directorate if you get someone that's bright they soon get given responsibility above their grade especially if they are looking for it. I suppose this depends on the department of course. I've known a couple of graduates in the last year or so come in on temporary contracts at EO and get promoted to HEO quite quickly, one went for an SEO job very quickly after and nearly got it and got good feedback back, I think if you are good it shouldn't be a great barrier.

A lot of the things the fast streamers get you can replicate anyway by being proactive, if you want a Grade 7 mentor just ask around after you've been in post for a while and start to figure things out, and you will be able to get one. You are supposed to take your learning and development seriously whether you are a fast streamer or not and directors are generally pressurised to show evidence that they are helping their staff develop their careers. Yes fast streamers go on various compulsory courses but tbh I don't think thats the real avenue where you learn. When departments are stretched for resources, like they always are, managers need people at lower grades that can step up and lead things and once you start showing you're good they will use you more and more as someone that can deliver things and that's how you build your competencies.

Also socially you tend to find that the youngish graduates that are not on the fast stream soon meet people their own age that are fast streamers and start get invited over to the same fast stream socials and stuff so its a good way of meeting people and the likes.

And there are stories of people that later decide to go for the fast stream whilst they are in post and probably its easier to get in because you will have dealt with situations like you get in e-tray and the assessment centre so are more familiar with how to make decisions.

So I do encourage people that want to get in the fast stream and don't get in, to try and find a way in to the civil service through normal routes before waiting for next year. It won't be that different in terms of the day to day work experience you will get.

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to be sifted out at the application form stage before the E-tray?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eljl)
    Is it possible to be sifted out at the application form stage before the E-tray?
    I don't think so. Sifts only seem to happen specifically at the online tests, e-tray, FSAC and selection board stages, and nowhere else (unless you simply aren't eligible because of e.g. citizenship requirements).

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody,
    I've been lurking up until now but thought I would finally introduce myself. This thread has been so helpful!
    I am applying for the HR fast stream - this is my first application to the civil service and I am a mature candidate (graduated 6yrs ago).

In case anybody is interested, I completed my e-tray last night and my application status had changed to 'successful' by 10am this morning - they seem to have a very quick turnaround! Just waiting for my FSAC invite now...

I had a nightmare with the e-tray as my computer froze at the very end and wouldn't submit!! Thankfully, Cubix was able to retrieve my answers but I could have done without the additional stress... Cubix advised that the issue was probably due to the fact I was using Google Chrome - hope this helps somebody who is yet to take the e-tray!

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting on my selection test results

ReputationRep:
    So I sat my e-tray on Sunday afternoon for Digital stream. My application status showed on Monday as successful and I'm now awaiting FSAC invitation. Does that mean I was in the immediately successful for the e-tray with finding out the next day?

Also, does anyone know how long it'll be before I get an FSAC invitation?!

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, longtime lurker but have only just registered an account!

I got my results back for the (generalist) online selection tests yesterday, and I was unsuccesful. I'm absolutely gutted as I failed at this stage last year as well. I asked for my percentiles and I did well on the numerical and verbal tests but I made a real mess of the competencies - the test just seemed so arbitrary? The worst thing is I know I could do the job and I really really want it. Does anyone know if answering 'modestly' - i.e. lots of 2s and 3s -would have hurt my application? Do parity ever let people retake the competency or will I have to wait until next year?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thrwowy)

I got my results back for the (generalist) online selection tests yesterday, and I was unsuccesful. I'm absolutely gutted as I failed at this stage last year as well. I asked for my percentiles and I did well on the numerical and verbal tests but I made a real mess of the competencies - the test just seemed so arbitrary? The worst thing is I know I could do the job and I really really want it. Does anyone know if answering 'modestly' - i.e. lots of 2s and 3s -would have hurt my application? Do parity ever let people retake the competency or will I have to wait until next year?
    I fear the 2s and 3s are probably what did it. I don't see any point in answering the test 'honestly'; it's purely an exercise in cutting down the numbers. If it is a positive attribute it's a 4, if it's ambiguous it's something less than that; if it's bad it's a 1. They also probably check for contradictions.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Also nervously awaiting the results of the online selection tests. The suspense is killing me! I seemed to do really well in verbal and bad in numerical the first practice, and then it swapped around for the second, so who know what I'll get!

I found the competency part a little frustrating, as qualities obviously depend on what circumstances you have to prove them in! But, we'll see, they best let us know by the 18th as i read somewhere, this wait's getting me blood pressure right up!

Does anyone know when you nominate which stream you want if it's in the generalist part, or have a just managed to miss that point earlier in the show? I wanted to go for the parliament one, and central depts second.

ReputationRep:
    I think you choose that when you fill out the full application form (after passing the selection tests).

I've sent a message to Parity asking if there's any chance of a retake on my competency test but I imagine it'll be a no. As I was writing it I felt like one of the Apprentice contestants when they're begging not to be fired.

Edit: They replied and it's a no. Maybe next year.

ReputationRep:
    I think you choose that when you fill out the full application form (after passing the selection tests).

I've sent a message to Parity asking if there's any chance of a retake on my competency test but I imagine it'll be a no. As I was writing it I felt like one of the Apprentice contestants when they're begging not to be fired.

Edit: They replied and it's a no. Maybe next year.
    Aha, thanks!

Oh no, it was worth a shot I suppose! It's definitely a tricky one I think.

ReputationRep:

Yeah, do not be modest. If it's a good trait you're a 4, if it's bad you're a 1. For ranking the most and least like you, especially on pages with lots of positives, think about the competency framework and which traits they're looking for. Those are the ones that are most like you.

You'll have your chance to prove you really are like that when you get to the assessment centre.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.