Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,.

For those of you who are confused/worried/frustrated about how random and lengthy the process is, i'm going to attempt to explain the decision-making process (at least, how it works in the Sheffield department, and I assume several other uni's work this way too).

pre-application
    Uni's know how many spaces they have, how many applications they expect to recieve, how they want to filter appliations (interviews, questionnaires, including how many can get to this filter) and how many offers they can give out. Some uni's will decide on a tactic where they wait for all the applications to be in before they make any filtering attempts.

application period starts
    applications start rolling in. For uni's who are reading applications as they come, excellent candidates will be filtered through, and applicants who based on previous cohorts are unlikely to get an offer are rejected. That leaves the middle applicants who make up the bulk of applications. A lot of these applicants won't recieve decisions straight away - the uni's will wait until they have a good amount to compare and then they can start filtering the top half and rejecting the bottom half. Of course, some uni's will give it some time before they start filtering at all, even excellent candidates. Similarly, they might not reject anybody until the end, just in case (or just to **** with you, depending on how you look at it)

filtering
    Interview, questionnaire, written interview, whatever it is - some start early, some start late. Some uni's will happily interview almost any half-acceptable applicant, whereas others are quite picky. It usually depends on how many offers they want to give out and how equipped they are to interview huge amounts of people.

offers
    so naturally people who are excellent at the filtering level will be given offers faster than those who did just fine at interview - again, uni's will be waiting for more people to get through this stage to compare the good applicants to each other. So this explains why some people are interviewed quickly and then still have to wait ages for decisions, and some people wait ages for interviews get decisions quickly. Quite a few places base their decisions on interview only, so if your application gets through filtering you can forget about it!

Bear in mind, the application deadline hasn't even passed yet. No uni in their right mind is going to start giving out all their offers when they don't have all the information to look at! It does take a long time to weigh up all the different parts of peoples applications and try to compare them to each other. A lot of your applications will be really similar. There is only a limited amount you can say in your personal statement, your references are likely to be generic, and it's difficult to have anything really, really outstanding (of course, some people do!)

I'm a third year at Sheffield if anyone has any questions. I applied straight from school.

ReputationRep:
    Turns out MMU rejected me because of my GCSEs - just goes to show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanC55)
    Turns out MMU rejected me because of my GCSEs - just goes to show.
    Did you have an interview with them? I got rejected last year before my interview based on my gcses

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that juliewho, helps to make sense of this process!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shropshirelass51)
    I received an email from BCU today asking me to send copies of all my qualification and saying they wanted an additional reference and then they will make me an offer. I am a mature student and have degree certificates, PGCE, etc, but don't have my GCSE's and didn't take A levels. It's so long ago I don't think my school which is about to close, will have the details. Any one got any suggestions?

BCU must be about to make offers, I would guess.
    Congratulations on your imminent offer! Bet you feel relieved you finally heard something back from them! Now if only I could get an interview...!!

ReputationRep:
    has anybody got any suggestions on any articles, publications or journals to read about speech and language therapy or around that subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nesca89)
    Did you have an interview with them? I got rejected last year before my interview based on my gcses
    No I didn't get an interview, so they accepted you this year haha?

ReputationRep:
    No I didn't get an interview, so they accepted you this year haha?
    Oh I see. Yeah they did because they changed the requirements from a B to a C this year haha. Man Met are picky about gcses, Uni of Manchester aren't

ReputationRep:
    c
    I received an email from BCU today asking me to send copies of all my qualification and saying they wanted an additional reference and then they will make me an offer. I am a mature student and have degree certificates, PGCE, etc, but don't have my GCSE's and didn't take A levels. It's so long ago I don't think my school which is about to close, will have the details. Any one got any suggestions?

BCU must be about to make offers, I would guess.

It may be an idea for you to get in touch with the examination board that you did your GCSEs with and ask if they are able to supply you with copies.

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview with both BCU and Uni of Manchester in December Still waiting to hear from Cardiff MET though. Was really hoping to hear back from BCU before Christmas as I'm becoming more and more nervous everyday! I came out of the interview pretty pleased with myself but as time goes on I'm getting more anxious. Really hope we hear soon

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Got an interview from Newcastle later this month and was wondering if anyone has experience with this/ knows what they look for? New to this! That was the first I heard back from any of my choices. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Growingold)
    c

It may be an idea for you to get in touch with the examination board that you did your GCSEs with and ask if they are able to supply you with copies.
    Problem is as it was so long ago I have no idea which boards they were. Fingers crossed the school keeps records from decades ago!

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see. Yeah they did because they changed the requirements from a B to a C this year haha. Man Met are picky about gcses, Uni of Manchester aren't
    Ahh, fair enough! Just a bit of a bummer really that something I did 5 years ago affects me now! I'm a completely different person with different interests and a decent work ethic which my grades (now) prove so it's a bit. :-/

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, fair enough! Just a bit of a bummer really that something I did 5 years ago affects me now! I'm a completely different person with different interests and a decent work ethic which my grades (now) prove so it's a bit. :-/
    That's exactly how I feel. My gcses were about 8 years ago and make no difference to my life right now and my ability to learn!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone who's got an interview in DMU on the 21st of this month heard anything back/had any more details from them since you accepted the interview slot?

ReputationRep:
    Problem is as it was so long ago I have no idea which boards they were. Fingers crossed the school keeps records from decades ago!
    I wold contact the school asap but would also email BCU and explain the situation. They may have some suggestions as to what you could do.

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly how I feel. My gcses were about 8 years ago and make no difference to my life right now and my ability to learn!
    That's what I don't understand, it's like Strathclyde took my degree into account and despite my a levels not matching the requirements gave me an offer, which in my opinion a-levels are more significant.

I'm buzzing to have an offer but I would prefer a English uni just for the NHS bursary.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I don't understand, it's like Strathclyde took my degree into account and despite my a levels not matching the requirements gave me an offer, which in my opinion a-levels are more significant.

I'm buzzing to have an offer but I would prefer a English uni just for the NHS bursary.
    Yeah they definitely are more relevant and significant in my opinion too. I forgot that the NHS funding was different in Scotland. It was a pain for me when I was in Glasgow at college trying to get funding haha. Hopefully you'll get an offer from an English uni soon then!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they definitely are more relevant and significant in my opinion too. I forgot that the NHS funding was different in Scotland. It was a pain for me when I was in Glasgow at college trying to get funding haha. Hopefully you'll get an offer from an English uni soon then!
    Are you from Scotland?

Yeah hopefully DMU or Leeds are feeling generous and give me an interview

ReputationRep:
    Are you from Scotland?

Yeah hopefully DMU or Leeds are feeling generous and give me an interview
    No I'm from England but I moved to Scotland when I was 16 and came back home when I was about 20 I'm sure they will! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.