UCL offer holders 2015 thread Watch

Millyshyn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tommy1996)
That's good, I feel lucky to have gotten AAA from ucl for natsci. I was just curious as to whether it would be worth it as I'm from a low income background and would be relying almost entirely on loans and a bursary. It's all a bit daunting 😕
You will get more than enough from those. Not sure what you mean by ''worth it''.
LynnQ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Any architecture student (girls) who got offer from UCL and eager to share a room with me for the twin room accommodation, plz contact me ASAP!
tekitw
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aljabra)
Anyone applied for accommodation yet?
Yup! Applied 2 days ago
physicsandbeer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Only Uni I haven't received an offer from :/

Also, hi there!
COV
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by physicshelper)
just got my computer science offer :P
A in further maths and A in physics
When did you apply? And what were your predicted grades?
upendatom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone going to the History of Art Offer Holder day on Wednesday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
shamrockiii
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
whos going to the offer holder day on wednesday?
Tommy1996
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ThatGuyRik)
What do you mean by worth it?
Oh by worth it I just meant in terms of whether living in London would be any good if I don't have much spare cash to go out and stuff. People have told me I'll have nothing left because of the living costs, especially regarding accommodation. I don't know if that's the case but people make it out like I should firm somewhere else cheaper like Leeds or Nottingham because otherwise I won't have a proper kind of student experience. On my visit day to UCL last Wednesday one of the students said that often it's a choice between going out one night and eating lunch the next day. I don't want to staarrvvee! Ahah
Tommy1996
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Millyshyn)
You will get more than enough from those. Not sure what you mean by ''worth it''.
By worth it I just meant in terms of whether living in London would be any good if I don't have much spare cash to go out and stuff. People have told me I'll have nothing left because of the living costs, especially regarding accommodation. I don't know if that's the case but people make it out like I should firm somewhere else cheaper like Leeds or Nottingham because otherwise I won't have a proper kind of student experience. On my visit day to UCL last Wednesday one of the students said that often it's a choice between going out one night and eating lunch the next day. I don't want to staarrvvee! Ahah
Tommy1996
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Millyshyn)
Also do you really think that I will be covered by an additional maintenance loan and a bursary? I feel like I'm being priced out of going to UCL which suckss 😞
abccba120
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, I just wanted to ask does an invitation to open day mean I am going to get an offer? If so how long does the offer come after you attend the open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
jchap9776
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by abccba120)
Hey, I just wanted to ask does an invitation to open day mean I am going to get an offer? If so how long does the offer come after you attend the open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you attend the open day you get the offer yes, and it comes about a week after
jchap9776
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
By worth it I just meant in terms of whether living in London would be any good if I don't have much spare cash to go out and stuff. People have told me I'll have nothing left because of the living costs, especially regarding accommodation. I don't know if that's the case but people make it out like I should firm somewhere else cheaper like Leeds or Nottingham because otherwise I won't have a proper kind of student experience. On my visit day to UCL last Wednesday one of the students said that often it's a choice between going out one night and eating lunch the next day. I don't want to staarrvvee! Ahah
I'd happily skip lunch the next day for a night out on the Bev haha, I mean in all seriousness, the cost of London can be managed - you're gonna have to budget well, probably plan meals for the week and stuff but I reckon it will be achievable if you're planned. I think maintenance loan/grant does cover accommodation cost and that's the most expensive thing, you always have the option to try and get a job in retail or do some paid stuff for the SU
User1686961
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh by worth it I just meant in terms of whether living in London would be any good if I don't have much spare cash to go out and stuff. People have told me I'll have nothing left because of the living costs, especially regarding accommodation. I don't know if that's the case but people make it out like I should firm somewhere else cheaper like Leeds or Nottingham because otherwise I won't have a proper kind of student experience. On my visit day to UCL last Wednesday one of the students said that often it's a choice between going out one night and eating lunch the next day. I don't want to staarrvvee! Ahah
London is really expensive, everything does add up and it will cost alot of money accommodation/food etc. London life is also very different to other places. Nottingham is a brilliant university too and has a great student experience.

ps. Living in London all my life. Going to choose either ucl or Nottingham myself haven't decided yet.
Tommy1996
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jchap9776)
I'd happily skip lunch the next day for a night out on the Bev haha, I mean in all seriousness, the cost of London can be managed - you're gonna have to budget well, probably plan meals for the week and stuff but I reckon it will be achievable if you're planned. I think maintenance loan/grant does cover accommodation cost and that's the most expensive thing, you always have the option to try and get a job in retail or do some paid stuff for the SU
Haha same! I suppose meal planning is going to be important wherever you go but yeah thanks for the advice. They did mention getting a job in the union for like £9.30 an hour or something which seems alright. Again thanks for the reassurance!
Tommy1996
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ThatGuyRik)
London is really expensive, everything does add up and it will cost alot of money accommodation/food etc. London life is also very different to other places. Nottingham is a brilliant university too and has a great student experience.

ps. Living in London all my life. Going to choose either ucl or Nottingham myself haven't decided yet.
So I've heard haha but it's nice to know from someone who actually lives in London so thanks for the response! What do you mean when you say London life is very different to other places? I'm only from a small town in Cheshire aha so I have no idea about city living. London or Nottingham then ey? That's good I'm sure you'll make the right choice. I wasn't too keen on Nottingham when I visited in all honesty but I think that's mainly because the course there didn't appeal to me as much as the others. Natural sciences really is different between unis
abccba120
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jchap9776)
If you attend the open day you get the offer yes, and it comes about a week after
Ok thanks! 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
User1686961
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So I've heard haha but it's nice to know from someone who actually lives in London so thanks for the response! What do you mean when you say London life is very different to other places? I'm only from a small town in Cheshire aha so I have no idea about city living. London or Nottingham then ey? That's good I'm sure you'll make the right choice. I wasn't too keen on Nottingham when I visited in all honesty but I think that's mainly because the course there didn't appeal to me as much as the others. Natural sciences really is different between unis
When i said its very different i meant by general living, going out etc. Ie the nightlife is probably better than most places but really expensive. Everything is accessible by public transport. Its really busy all the time. I actually liked Nottingham its really nice. The accommodation is much nicer. For the price you pay for in London you would get much more up there.
The.Joker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You mentioned earlier you're from a low income background so if you're entitled to most/maximum of the student loan and grant then that should be more than enough especially as UCL have their own bursary scheme where if you are from a low income family they give up to £3000 per year of study! I suggest (if you haven't already) look at UCL's accommodation prices and see how much it costs for the year so you know how much money you'll have left to live off.

I'm sure as long as you plan your meals and manage your money wisely you'll be fine in all honesty. Plus nights out don't need to be overly expensive, there's plenty of things to see and do in London for free/cheap. Maybe you can get a job after exams in the summer? That way you can save up some extra money for uni, I'm sure you can get a part time job during uni too, to help out with costs.
luna.lovegood
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone going to the Biological Sciences offer holders visit day next week?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads