Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We should all be taught a second language from the age of 5 onwards, is ridiculous the lack of language skills us British people have compared to those around the continent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickierose21)
    Abortion should be illegal.

Farmers should not farm commercially and it should have a lot more restrictions. More people should be encouraged to hunt and domestic animals encouraged to be integrated with wild life.

Do I need to go on further on about this?
    Then how are we to eat? Hunt what? Pigeons and Sparrows?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Child benefit should be scrapped. If you can't afford them; don't have them.

If you have them when you can't afford to support them then you are committing a form of child abuse and authorities should intervene.
    You realise that would be like 70% of the population? We'd turn into Japan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    But on the flip side, a lot of people only have one or two children because that's all they can afford. Meanwhile, there are people who have children after children because they know the state will pay for them. And then whinge when they have to find work.:rolleyes:
    Do you also write for the Daily Mail? This is exactly the sort of thing I expect to see on the front of their dreadful paper each day.

ReputationRep:
    We shouldn't be sending everyone to university. Not everyone is cut out for it, not everyone is smart enough, and not everyone will get much out of it. We still need people to fix leaky pipes and roofs, to mow the lawn, to drive your kids to school on the bus. If you want to go to a trade school to be an auto mechanic, and that's your thing, more power to you. Do what you love and do it well. If you want to get a job straight away instead of continuing your education, you should be able to do that, without scorn or unsolicited "advice" encouraging you to go study somewhere you don't want to go, taking on debt you may not be able to repay. The push to send everyone to university no matter what is ridiculous. I believe everyone should have an equal opportunity to go to university, but they definitely shouldn't be failures if they can't or don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    Sharia law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColonelJafar)
    Sharia law

What about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Cat)
    The review of all new 3,600 EU laws introduced since 2010 which hamper the UK and the unnecessary demands by the EU e.g debts

Removal of bedroom tax
    Employment in favour of UK nationals over EU nationals and international workers.

Just name a few things.
    Pretty sure it does already, you've got a major advantage if you're seeking work in the UK over foreign nationals. But even if it wasn't there, we are in an age of globalisation, should it not matter more the ability of the person rather than their nationality? Unless we iz all well right wing an dat?..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattyR2895)
    Whether you're male or female, you can consent to sex no matter how drunk you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't agree with this as I believe you're in an altered state of mind, however, it is a difficult debate as if I say that then you might ask if I think murder under the influence (for instance) is an acquittable offence? Which I don't.

I think it's hard to draw the line between intent and general drunkenness, people can be very different whilst drunk.

ReputationRep:
    Homophobic people are disgusting rodents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    New controversial view of the day: I think the government should encourage people who have gotten pregnant to get an abortion IF they cannot look after the child after it has been born. It is a burden on society to expect the state to pay for your child and I think you should only have children if AT THE TIME you are socially and economically stable.
    The defence budget is a burden on society. Sell dem Nuclear Submarines £10bn each or something ridiculous like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    I don't agree with this as I believe you're in an altered state of mind, however, it is a difficult debate as if I say that then you might ask if I think murder under the influence (for instance) is an acquittable offence? Which I don't.

I think it's hard to draw the line between intent and general drunkenness, people can be very different whilst drunk.
    Why then can you be charged for drunk driving?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by HenryHiddler)
    We shouldn't be sending everyone to university. Not everyone is cut out for it, not everyone is smart enough, and not everyone will get much out of it. We still need people to fix leaky pipes and roofs, to mow the lawn, to drive your kids to school on the bus. If you want to go to a trade school to be an auto mechanic, and that's your thing, more power to you. Do what you love and do it well. If you want to get a job straight away instead of continuing your education, you should be able to do that, without scorn or unsolicited "advice" encouraging you to go study somewhere you don't want to go, taking on debt you may not be able to repay. The push to send everyone to university no matter what is ridiculous. I believe everyone should have an equal opportunity to go to university, but they definitely shouldn't be failures if they can't or don't want to.
    Agreed. When I was doing GCSEs / 6th form, it seemed like uni was the only option. We weren't told of any other option out there. I do think that we do need to inform students of the other options out there. Uni isn't for everyone and neither are A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reallydontknow)
    Why then can you be charged for drunk driving?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel to climb into the driver's seat should be an offence as there is intent to do something which could harm. What I'm saying is in my opinion there's a blurred line between your real intentions and the influence of alcohol in changing your decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desdemonata)
    Hang on now, does raising a child not cost money anymore? When did that happen... Last I checked raising a child is actually one of the most costly things a couple can decide to do. Google "average cost raising a child UK" and tell me the figures you see aren't staggering.

Please. Tell me how you plan to raise your child solely on "human compassion", on the streets in a cardboard box?
    I agree with that person, you can talk money but humans are living creatures with emotions, not machines.

It's not a case of just throwing money at them, it takes a very human skill to raise a human.

I also believe that being able to have a child is the most basic of human rights, who should dictate whether anyone else can or can't do that? Sounds highly draconian to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    I feel to climb into the driver's seat should be an offence as there is intent to do something which could harm. What I'm saying is in my opinion there's a blurred line between your real intentions and the influence of alcohol in changing your decisions.
    So, why then, can you not consent to sex when drunk, because you surely have intent to have sex, knowing you may regret it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reallydontknow)
    So, why then, can you not consent to sex when drunk, because you surely have intent to have sex, knowing you may regret it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because it would make rape easier to defend, if we all just assume that "of course he/she wanted it", "they'd had a few drinks". You're not in a state of mind to think about regret. It alters your state of mind.

People could also easily be coerced into sex by another influencing party, you're more persuadable when you've had a few, we all know that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    Because it would make rape easier to defend, if we all just assume that "of course he/she wanted it", "they'd had a few drinks". You're not in a state of mind to think about regret. It alters your state of mind.

People could also easily be coerced into sex by another influencing party, you're more persuadable when you've had a few, we all know that.
    Rape by the UKs legal definition anyway.

If you are drunk and you don't want it you can still say no. If it continues past that then it is rape (or sexual harassment if it's not actually penetrative sex yet)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That people are offended far too easily, and expect me to apologise for my opinions and thoughts if they are offended.

You dont like what I'm saying, ignore it or dont listen, you dont like the message in a song, dont listen to it. You dont like what a scientist is wearing, keep that opinion to yourself.

People are far too easily offended, and we've perpetuated a society that seems to give people who are offended a moral high ground as if being offended is worth something, its not. In the words of stephen fry, you're offended? So what.

Suck it up, deal with it and stop whining like an annoying little child. Im not going to apologise for my views because they differ to yours, and if you're offended by that, thats your issue, not mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)

We all know there is a different standard for men when it comes to drunk sex. If a man and a woman are equally drunk and have consensual sex, it is only the woman who can claim to be the victim if rape. Spare us the whole 'he/she' phraseology. We know it's just 'she'.

I think you missed the point by saying it would make rape easier to defend. I am saying that it wouldn't be rape at all, if she consented to the sex prior to and when it happened. I don't know what you're talking about when you say "of course she wanted it" as though that's wrong. We are not arguing over whether this hypothetical woman wanted sex or not, because we know that at the time, she most certainly did if she gave her full consent. We are arguing whether that consent was true consent. I believe the consent is just as true as if it were a drunk man consenting to sex.

You said it yourself, one may not be in a state of mind, whilst drunk, to think about feelings regret after they sober up. Why then, should someone else take the blame, and potentially have their life ruined, for a mistake that you made, albeit whilst drunk. Feminists talk about displaying female strength. Where is strength being displayed by palming responsibility for your own mistakes on to someone else?
    Of course this is assuming that the woman does later regret it, which many don't. Many women love going out, getting drunk and sleeping with strangers, and don't regret a thing. They don't need people like you telling them that they're the victim of a heinous crime.
    As for them being more easily coerced, shouldn't that be the wrong doing? The fact that a man coerced a woman to have sex with him? That would be the case whether she was drunk or not. Remove alcohol from the equation and coercing someone to have sex with you it still wrong.
    It should not be a rule that a woman who is drunk is completely compromised, and has no decision making powers when it comes to sex. You make a mistake whilst drunk, accept it and move on. Don't blame someone else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.