St George's
    5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Do you guys think the average for this year will go up or down?

The prelim results showed a 644 average, but I swear they say that people who take the test earlier do better.
    I think the average is going to be around 640-650

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riyaaaaa)
    I think the average is going to be around 640-650
    Yeh it looks that way. I thought cause they took out DA it would bring the average up.

Btw does anyone know how many people apply for medicine each year?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh it looks that way. I thought cause they took out DA it would bring the average up.

10,000 ish I think lol idk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    I did 4 AS Levels (1 old spec, 3 linear), then dropped a linear subject and am now doing 3 full A Levels.
    I believe there's quite a few med schools asking for/expressing a preference for a 4th AS: https://www.themedicportal.com/medic...ls-2017-entry/
    Started Maths, Chemistry, Biology. Geography

In Lower sixth.

Only Maths is not linear and does not have AS at end of year 1.

Looking to drop Maths or Geography at end of year 1. However if dropped Geography, then I would not be able to do an AS in that.
    Only way I could get AS was if I dropped Maths, and continued with other 3.
    Alternatively do 4 next year, which I am thinking would be too much work.

Were you able to do a stand alone AS in the the linear subjects at the end of year 1. Is that possible.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think the average for this year will go up or down?

The prelim results showed a 644 average, but I swear they say that people who take the test earlier do better.
    It does say that
    On the official UKCAT PDF leaflet thing

I think it's 21000 applicants...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    It does say that
    On the official UKCAT PDF leaflet thing

Hopefully the average will drop to around 635 ish

I think it's 21000 applicants...
    And there's around 8000 places right?

ReputationRep:
    I just hope manchester's cut off is less than 667😭 I read someone's post on here saying averages don't reflect the cut offs that much? I hate how it's mostly a game of assumptions lol 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, if you guys had to choose 2 between Nottingham, Exeter, Sheffield and Birmingham....which 2 would you choose and why??

ReputationRep:
    And there's around 8000 places right?
    I think so!

I was going to say that, but then it sounded a bit high

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selgomez11)
    Hey!
    I'm quite unsure if the universities I want to apply to is the best for me.
    My GCSEs are 7 A*s and 5 As (eng lang and lit)
    AS Levels -4 As
    And My predicted grades are A*A*A* in Bio, chem and maths.
    My UKCAT however is 655 which is quite low.
    I am applying to University of Birmingham, University of Leicester, Manchester University, Keele University. Where do you guys recommend me to apply?
    Just throwing it out there but i think manchesters ukcat cut off was 662.5 last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spock2000)
    Started Maths, Chemistry, Biology. Geography

In Lower sixth.

Only Maths is not linear and does not have AS at end of year 1.

Looking to drop Maths or Geography at end of year 1. However if dropped Geography, then I would not be able to do an AS in that.
    Only way I could get AS was if I dropped Maths, and continued with other 3.
    Alternatively do 4 next year, which I am thinking would be too much work.

Were you able to do a stand alone AS in the the linear subjects at the end of year 1. Is that possible.
    I did stand alone AS in the linear subjects, but that was mainly because it was the first year and my school didn't know what to do. For the years after mine, people are doing 4 subjects in year 1, having already chosen the subject they will drop and sitting an AS in it, and then doing the exams for the other 3 at the end of 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    I did stand alone AS in the linear subjects, but that was mainly because it was the first year and my school didn't know what to do. For the years after mine, people are doing 4 subjects in year 1, having already chosen the subject they will drop and sitting an AS in it, and then doing the exams for the other 3 at the end of 2 years.
    Thanks for that.

But I guess doing a standalone AS at the end of the first year in a linear A level needs the college to teach in such a way that they cover the all AS requirements in the first year.

Some teachers prefer to chop and change when they do certain topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kantth1)
    Just throwing it out there but i think manchesters ukcat cut off was 662.5 last year
    Hey, I am eligible for the widening participation for Manchester, so hopefully the UKCAT will be lower. But I think I may take a gamble for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selgomez11)
    Hey, I am eligible for the widening participation for Manchester, so hopefully the UKCAT will be lower. But I think I may take a gamble for it.
    Are you WP or WP+ flag? I'm only WP so as you can see it doesn't help me out with my ukcat Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474653595.707624.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  150.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=michaela__;67722460]Are you WP or WP+ flag? I'm only WP so as you can see it doesn't help me out with my ukcat Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474653595.707624.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  150.0 KB
    Me too, I'm not sure as my avg is 655 and should I risk it... What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nihil_nimis)
    I got the exact same UKCAT score as you lol, where are you thinking of applying ?
    Imperial, Leeds, Birmingham and Southhampton

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kantth1)
    Birmingham and Leicester are good choices.
    Maybe Liverpool, Cardiff? UEA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikita Verma)
    Hey, if you guys had to choose 2 between Nottingham, Exeter, Sheffield and Birmingham....which 2 would you choose and why??
    Birmingham and Sheffield.

Birmingham has a more vibrant city than Nottingham. (superficial?) Sheffield and Exeter both have amazing research qualities but I just have a preference for Sheffield (maybe because Exeter only has about 130 spaces for med)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Bright_Gift;67725656]Birmingham and Leicester are good choices.
    Maybe Liverpool, Cardiff? UEA?
    Hey, are you referring to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nihil_nimis)
    I got the exact same UKCAT score as you lol, where are you thinking of applying ?
    What unis are you thinking of applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.