Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    If i have a boy id like to send him boarding at eton or harrow, does rely on me making at least £50k with the majority of that going to pay for his education though. Small price to pay, hell get contacts, a very good education, into a good university and will be the cuture home secretary for the conservatives or labour (I'll love him whether he is right or wrong, respectively )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can literally get all of that here at Cranbrook for £10k (and for free if you manage to live close enough for them to be a day student).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    You can literally get all of that here at Cranbrook for £10k (and for free if you manage to live close enough for them to be a day student).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't wanna go sending my kids to ****ing cranbrook though xD
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I reckon if 5 of us pool all our money together and sell of all of our assets we might be able to afford this property here, fancy going splits?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-58684832.html
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But Harrow through !!!

ReputationRep:
    If i have a boy id like to send him boarding at eton or harrow, does rely on me making at least £50k with the majority of that going to pay for his education though. Small price to pay, hell get contacts, a very good education, into a good university and will be the cuture home secretary for the conservatives or labour (I'll love him whether he is right or wrong, respectively )Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't wanna go sending my kids to ****ing cranbrook though xD
    Whatever happened to you in the past few months, you've definitely improved. Now let's take it a step further and agree that you'll make sure to conceive a male heir and disown him if he ever even speaks of supporting Labour, okay?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Ahh, when you put it like that....
    I knew you'd get there. The conclusion is simple: An increase in output (which FDI contributes to) leads to a larger numerator. Ergo the level of technology augmentation increases with greater FDI, which makes us more productive and consequently more internationally competitive. The loss in FDI from leaving the EU would therefore reduce the competitiveness of UK goods and make things more expensive to produce.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Whatever happened to you in the past few months, you've definitely improved. Now let's take it a step further and agree that you'll make sure to conceive a male heir and disown him if he ever even speaks of supporting Labour, okay?
    I'll do my best, though I worry that if he's anything like me then he'll rebel and join TUSC or the Greens or something.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Ah , that glorious day !!!!! i must admit it was rather cloudy morning but the sun was shining in the afternoon ..... If i remember correctly i got a detention that day for watching the coverage rather than paying attention to some lesson
    Haha fairs xD
    I bet my mum a tenner the tories would win, she still hasnt given it to me yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tell her to pay up
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I have'nt changed my stance on the EU but I've edited an avatar
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The facilities are not a patch on top schools, the school is not small enough, the national curriculum needs to be followed, and I will never send any children I have to a school where class sizes are over 15 for any subjects.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I have'nt changed my stance on the EU but I've edited an avatar
    Here, have a cookie:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Really depends on whether it's boarding or not for price... imo, boarding whilst giving some benefits, really isn't all what it's cracked up to be (that's what I was referring to earlier...). I didn't particularly enjoy boarding, and people can be especially nasty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    The facilities are not a patch on top schools, the school is not small enough, the national curriculum needs to be followed, and I will never send any children I have to a school where class sizes are over 15 for any subjects.
    I desperately hope you grow up poor.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Really depends on whether it's boarding or not for price... imo, boarding whilst giving some benefits, really isn't all what it's cracked up to be (that's what I was referring to earlier...). I didn't particularly enjoy boarding, and people can be especially nasty.
    My stance on private schools changed from being completely anti to being completely for when I learnt that my old politics teacher, instead of sending his child to state school, sends him to a private school, it takes up most of his wages and means that he shops for clothes in charity shops.

However, I also learnt that he took his son out of boarding because of the **** he got for not being "rich".

When people talk about private schools resulting in a lack of merit, if my teacher works his ass off to pay for his child to have a head start, then how is that not meritocratic?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    What he's said though isn't wrong. Who the hell would want to go to a state school if they were given the opportunity to go to a private school. Everything from class size to facilities are better! The only thing I'll agree on is that it can be still hit and miss whether the teacher really is that good or not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That is a cruel wish that hints at envy, state education needs to be improved to meet the standards where it provides an acceptable education for children, until state education reaches the level I will always push for any children I have to be educated at an independent school for money, or on a scholarship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    What he's said though isn't wrong. Who the hell would want to go to a state school if they were given the opportunity to go to a private school. Everything from class size to facilities are better! The only thing I'll agree on is that it can be still hit and miss whether the teacher really is that good or not.
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    That is a cruel wish that hints at envy, state education needs to be improved to meet the standards where it provides an acceptable education for children, until state education reaches the level I will always push for any children I have to be educated at an independent school for money, or on a scholarship.
    Of course, private schools are better (that's why more money needs investing into state schools incidentally), but the notion of 'I will never send a child to a non-elite school' (which was essentially implied) is just such a ludicrously sheltered outlook on the world.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Here, have a cookie:
    Cheers ......... Just what i wanted ........ ( It's kinda of meant to look badly edited .... that was the whole idea )
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    My stance on private schools changed from being completely anti to being completely for when I learnt that my old politics teacher, instead of sending his child to state school, sends him to a private school, it takes up most of his wages and means that he shops for clothes in charity shops.

However, I also learnt that he took his son out of boarding because of the **** he got for not being "rich".

When people talk about private schools resulting in a lack of merit, if my teacher works his ass off to pay for his child to have a head start, then how is that not meritocratic?
    Yeh, there are people at private schools who can be extremely harsh about it, and when you go somewhere especially like Harrow or Eton when a lot is about money, it's a big factor. Having said that, at mine, I knew a few people who were pretty poor and were there on bursaries, and it does stand out... Like, even going out to town for lunch and some people are happy to go out 2/3 times a week, and some of us couldn't... it was very obvious. It's definitely a contributing factor to whether you should go or not, but generally I'd say if you get the opportunity do it.

Alternatively, just never have kids and don't have these problems!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Of course, private schools are better (that's why more money needs investing into state schools incidentally), but the notion of 'I will never send a child to a non-elite school' (which was essentially implied) is just such a ludicrously sheltered outlook on the world.
    Not really... if I had the choice, I would never send my children to a state school... Although quite frankly, I find the thought of having children a massive commitment and drain, something that I never want.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.