The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    So Phillip Hammond is talking the talk on being tough on big businesses who treat their workers like cr*p.

I obviously welcome that, I just hope that it's more than lip service for a change.*

Hammond reminds me of John Major. Hard to hate. Someone you could have a reasonable disagreement with.
    There will always be those whom you would get on with on a personal level, say if they were your next door neighbour and with whom any disagreement would be political only. Then there are people such as Michael Gove.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    There will always be those whom you would get on with on a personal level, say if they were your next door neighbour and with whom any disagreement would be political only. Then there are people such as Michael Gove.
    Who you would probably get on with well if you dumped your prejudices at the door, however it sounds like you wouldn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There seemed to be this rather strange trail of thought that Michael Gove was very fastidious and a genius. All he bloody did was wear a pear of dark framed glasses.

ReputationRep:
    O+G junior doctor contracts front-loaded so as to be (or seem to be) cost neutral. Clever and sneaky.

Trusts threaten to withdraw training numbers of doctors who don't sign contract

NHS Providers CEO tells doctors they must sign contract or they won't be allowed to work in the NHS.

Sigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good to see that Hammond has abolished the help to buy scheme. While i do believe in a property owning democracy and all that, piling up unfunded liabilities and pushing up house prices was not the way to do it.

Let prices stall to allow affordability to increase over time.

ReputationRep:
    Diabolical end to the session for Europe at the Ryder Cup. Do Eurosceptics boycott the tourney?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Diabolical end to the session for Europe at the Ryder Cup. Do Eurosceptics boycott the tourney?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Additionally, surely those who supported Brexit should also boycott the Eurovision song contest and urge that we do not take part? Or if we have any pride in our creative industries regardless of our view on the EU?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting that Hunt unveils a £12.5mill fund for mental health services (after an "emotional" letter from a teenage girl, bluh) while mental health services for doctors has been cut.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Additionally, surely those who supported Brexit should also boycott the Eurovision song contest and urge that we do not take part? Or if we have any pride in our creative industries regardless of our view on the EU?
    Well, Australia and Israel are in the Eurovision song contest, so that's at least justifiable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It's a simple case of least worst reasonable option. The reasonable criteria immediately narrows it to Clinton - Trump as a non voter, least worse then brings it down to Trump, I'd rather have a **** Republican I broadly agree with as president than a **** Democrat I broadly disagree with.

In terms of Johnson, if I were a US citizen it would be a matter of with a vote in which state. A swing state would make it easy Trump, safe state and district would mean seriously considering secondary party candidates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would have thought you'd agree quite a lot with Clinton.

Neither candidate is any worth voting for. But when you think about policy Clinton's the only option, the only fault for her is that she's quite frankly a dreadful person, though that's not to say that Trump is any less dreadful, he just doesn't have any decent policies to justify voting for him in spite of him being a dreadful person.

The democrats aren't exactly left wing, they're just less nuts than the majority of the Republican party.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    I would have thought you'd agree quite a lot with Clinton.

Neither candidate is any worth voting for. But when you think about policy Clinton's the only option, the only fault for her is that she's quite frankly a dreadful person, though that's not to say that Trump is any less dreadful, he just doesn't have any decent policies to justify voting for him in spite of him being a dreadful person.

The democrats aren't exactly left wing, they're just less nuts than the majority of the Republican party.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Care to flip the perspective almost entirely, then the "less nuts" alternative is the more nuts. I am loving all you people thinking that you're better experts on US politics than the people who are actually paid to look at US politics, I would trust those who have done that over the, at a push, armchair "experts."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Good to see that Hammond has abolished the help to buy scheme. While i do believe in a property owning democracy and all that, piling up unfunded liabilities and pushing up house prices was not the way to do it.

Let prices stall to allow affordability to increase over time.
    I welcome the shift towards affordable rent rather than ownership.

Forcing housing associations, which are private companies, to sell off their stock is frankly quite a Stalinist policy. *

The one to one scheme is completely unrealistic too.

ReputationRep:
    Care to flip the perspective almost entirely, then the "less nuts" alternative is the more nuts. I am loving all you people thinking that you're better experts on US politics than the people who are actually paid to look at US politics, I would trust those who have done that over the, at a push, armchair "experts."
    Care to find me one "expert" on US politics who actually endorses Trump?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Interesting that Hunt unveils a £12.5mill fund for mental health services (after an "emotional" letter from a teenage girl, bluh) while mental health services for doctors has been cut.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Given his record of not really caring for the medical profession, this is not a surprise.

ReputationRep:
    Care to find me one "expert" on US politics who actually endorses Trump?
    Ummm, since when did agreeing with somebody's policies require others to endorse them, some people just haven't learnt from the referendum.

In other news, looks like the Tory vote share has just shot up some more.

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, since when did agreeing with somebody's policies require others to endorse them, some people just haven't learnt from the referendum.

In other news, looks like the Tory vote share has just shot up some more.
    No but it helps if you have an expert who can say that your tax plans are viable and sensible, that your immigration policy is helpful, if not, at least possible. By agreeing with him you only show yourself to be as batty as he is, and whilst we already know this to be the case I'd have assumed that you'd at least make an attempt at denial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone listened to the latest album by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds? I think that 'Rings of Saturn' might be my favourite song of his yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No but it helps if you have an expert who can say that your tax plans are viable and sensible, that your immigration policy is helpful, if not, at least possible. By agreeing with him you only show yourself to be as batty as he is, and whilst we already know this to be the case I'd have assumed that you'd at least make an attempt at denial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So, Mr I-know-Trump's-policy-inside-out, what exactly are his policies?

ReputationRep:
    Boris' speech seemed somewhat poor to me

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah, we've had enough of experts in this country.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.