University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ValerieKR)
    My sister (going into yr12 now) is a nightmare - she keeps going on about how she's smarter than me because when she takes her BMAT she'll get 'full marks' and 'the BMAT is harder than STEP'
    Well if many people get full marks then clearly it isn't haha.

Though in fairness STEP, whilst it was significantly harder than A Level it was never impossible. But my relatives could never accept that STEP was never even close to guaranteed to go well.

'He got into Cambridge, which is the best place in the world for maths'
    'wait wait wait, those rankings dont mean ****'
    'dont be so humble m8'
    'well it isn't like he's the best in the world, people did better than him at STEP'
    'b**** pleeease, if I was the bestest in the world I wouldn't be hanging out with you lot'

ReputationRep:
    My personal favourite has been
    'F*ck you, why are you so smart?'
    weirdly refreshing from the usual
    at least you have been able to explain what step is, I dont think any of my relatives realise i had to sit extra exams to get in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsIP2016)
    "omg you must be so clever"
    how do you actually respond to these things?! You sound like an absolute ass if you agree or disagree
    Awkward conversation : Parents Version

"Congratulation! You must be really proud!"

........even more awkward when it's coming from a parent who's kid was rejected..............

I just bought a dressing gown and now my wardrobe is pretty much complete.

If you ever see a long, pink, hooded figure running across Newnham's gardens at 2am it's probably me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    I just bought a dressing gown and now my wardrobe is pretty much complete.

If you ever see a long, pink, hooded figure running across Newnham's gardens at 2am it's probably me
    Gona go buy my suit tday lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by physicsmaths)
    Gona go buy my suit tday lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At least with guys you can just have that one suit...

I feel like I need to buy 55 dresses
    Smh I should have bought those ones I saw on sale before results day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    At least with guys you can just have that one suit...

I feel like I need to buy 55 dresses
    Smh I should have bought those ones I saw on sale before results day
    Haha lol.
    I might be getting measured up for a decent one.
    We just keep the one suit and switch shirts and ties.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How much is the total accommodation costs at everyone's colleges, including overhead, computer network connection and medical taxi scheme?? my letter says that the total for 3 terms is £5391.90. Sounds like a lot...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12284)
    How much is the total accommodation costs at everyone's colleges, including overhead, computer network connection and medical taxi scheme?? my letter says that the total for 3 terms is £5391.90. Sounds like a lot...
    Hm that is alot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12284)
    Which college? Is your room ensuite?

And, medical taxi scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12284)
    Mine is about £3.8k for ensuite, £2.9k for shared bathroom I think. That includes all utilities and gigabit internet, deposit is £300 I think but that's for all 3 years.

What's a medical taxi scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12284)
    Does it include Kitchen Fixed Charge? Mine is £3594, including everything and £190 of meal credit. I think food is fairly expensive though (Homerton).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Mine is about £3.8k for ensuite, £2.9k for shared bathroom I think. That includes all utilities and gigabit internet, deposit is £300 I think but that's for all 3 years.

Long live homerton.
    Such great costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Does it include Kitchen Fixed Charge? Mine is £3594.
    Mate wheree y getting exact costs?
    I aint got nothing about accomodation yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Long live homerton.
    Such great costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And that includes £600 a year to spend on food at college.

The internet is stupid fast too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    And that includes £600 a year to spend on food at college.

The internet is stupid fast too.
    Brilliant!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Which college? Is your room ensuite?

And, medical taxi scheme?
    (Original post by alow)

(Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Does it include Kitchen Fixed Charge? Mine is £3594, including everything and £190 of meal credit. I think food is fairly expensive though (Homerton).
    My college is Murray Edwards. On the letter it says that the medical taxi scheme is a termly contribution for transport to help students who are temporarily unable to travel to lectures, but it's only £3.30 per term. There's nothing in the letter about a Fixed Kitchen Charge so I don't know. This is quite a lot of money per year, most of my maintenence living loan is gone...

ReputationRep:
    Mate wheree y getting exact costs?
    I aint got nothing about accomodation yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    £3706, with £190 a term for food included. I'm pretty sure all ensuite rooms at college are the same so yours should be the same as mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12284)
    (Original post by 12284)
    My college is Murray Edwards. On the letter it says that the medical taxi scheme is a termly contribution for transport to help students who are temporarily unable to travel to lectures, but it's only £3.30 per term. There's nothing in the letter about a Fixed Kitchen Charge so I don't know. This is quite a lot of money per year, most of my maintenence living loan is gone...
    Maybe MECAccess has some ideas on the costs?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.