The Current Year 12 thread 2016-2017

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    Yep, Jkyl + Hyde is still my favourite
    I really like Picture Me personally, but yeah Jkyl + Hyde is a great song as well

ReputationRep:
    - Introduce yourself
    Hi, i'm Erin and I'm a 17 year old girl who has just started year 12 at my school's sixth form and I am hoping to get into Cambridge!
    My GCSE grades are as follows:
    English Language (CIE) - A
    English Literature (WJEC) - A
    Maths (Edexcel) - A*
    Further maths (AQA) - A^
    Biology (AQA) - A*
    Chemistry (AQA) - A*
    Physics (AQA) - A*
    History (AQA) - A*
    French (Edexcel) - A
    Media (AQA) - A
    RE (Edexcel ) - A*

- What are your hobbies and interests?
    I am quite creative. I enjoy drawing , singing and playing guitar occasionally. I love music and have such a varied music taste. I also really enjoy fashion and beauty; such as doing makeup. I'm very girly and my favourite colour is pink. I also like playing some games and going out with my friends. I sometimes enjoy a good book, but i'm very picky! I like memes and cats.
    - What subjects are you planning to take?
    I take Maths (Edexcel), Chemistry(AQA) , Biology(AQA) and Sociology(AQA)

- Your favourite subject(s)?
    My favourite subject is maths without a doubt.

- Your ideal future occupation?
    I have no idea lol, but i want to go to university definitely!

ReputationRep:
    Wow this thread went quiet, everyone into their studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hiya everyone, im joining a little late to the party. right now im really kicking myself because im really unorganised when i get home, can someone share their work routine with me to get me a bit more inspired?? im doing biology, chemistry, maths and art and my self discipline is awful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jp14utd)
    I was interested in applying for Oxford medicine but I read a book talking about the sorts of questions they ask you in the interview and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a chance!
    Those books are not especially accurate. Besides, its not like you're supposed to know the answers to the questions they ask - they deliberately give you something you won't know then you work with their prompts and clues to figure out the answer.

Don't let that of all things put you off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XLittleSparrowX)
    Wow this thread went quiet, everyone into their studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol pretty much. I'll probably only pop up during some weekends and free periods in college, of which I have 2 of 25 hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asphyxiax)
    hiya everyone, im joining a little late to the party. right now im really kicking myself because im really unorganised when i get home, can someone share their work routine with me to get me a bit more inspired?? im doing biology, chemistry, maths and art and my self discipline is awful
    Mines basically all the below reminding me and nagging me or I'll get bad grades. Not exactly a routine because I'm bad with routines but definitely a way to get your past-self to annoy or guilt you into doing it

What I do is have all my work next to my computer or whatever I'm doing so while I'm gaming/doing stuff I see it, I do let myself have some leisure time or I'd die. I also put my phone on top of it so when I grab my phone I'll be reminded. Oh and also a post-it note that simply says what'll happen if I don't do it, mine says "DDD? I thought you were going to prove yourself?" and then I feel real guilty and do it 99% of the time. Also phone alarms every 5-10 minutes reminding you if you go over your leisure time. They get annoying and also persuade you to do it.

I've also seen on the Internet study goals. Put a small sweet (Jelly beans, milk bottles etc) every few paragraphs and when you reach it you can eat it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Politics. I am really struggling to focus and not get distracted but I'm finding it so difficult to concentrate. I have plenty of work to get on with and I'm so motivated to do well but for some reason I'm struggling to concentrate. Anyone have any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Those books are not especially accurate. Besides, its not like you're supposed to know the answers to the questions they ask - they deliberately give you something you won't know then you work with their prompts and clues to figure out the answer.

Don't let that of all things put you off!
    Tbh it's not just that, I just don't see myself as fitting in well in the university. But who knows? I'll think about it more and see how good my AS results are

ReputationRep:
    I should be able to help with this as i also do chemistry , biology and maths!!
    Well firstly, i have a lever arch file for each of my subjects and i have the specification for each of my subjects printed off and glued to file dividers and put into my files.
    During each lesson (mainly chemistry&biology) i will make rough notes in my paper pad and highlight the title for each part of the spec when we begin to learn it (to track what i'm learning)
    Then throughout the lesson i'll tick off the parts of the spec we have covered and always ask for help straight away if i don't understand something.
    When i get home i sort out my files ( i do this everyday). I will copy up my rough notes in neat and make sure i cover each point from the spec and everything i've learned in lesson. Doing this helps me to retain the information i've learned. I will then make sure to complete every single piece of homework i've been given and make sure to ask my teachers about anything i don't understand.
    At the end of each week i make flashcards for my sciences and make them on everything ive learned in that week. I use flashcards to revise so if i stick to this routine by exam time i will have flashcards on everything i've learned.
    If i have a test coming up i'll get people to test me on my flashcards and at the end of each half term i plan to review all my flashcards and make sure i know them off by heart before i go back to school for the next half term (to decrease revision stress)
    The website i use for my flashcards is called
    Cram , if you're interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ErinMei)
    I should be able to help with this as i also do chemistry , biology and maths!!
    Well firstly, i have a lever arch file for each of my subjects and i have the specification for each of my subjects printed off and glued to file dividers and put into my files.
    During each lesson (mainly chemistry&biology) i will make rough notes in my paper pad and highlight the title for each part of the spec when we begin to learn it (to track what i'm learning)
    Then throughout the lesson i'll tick off the parts of the spec we have covered and always ask for help straight away if i don't understand something.
    When i get home i sort out my files ( i do this everyday). I will copy up my rough notes in neat and make sure i cover each point from the spec and everything i've learned in lesson. Doing this helps me to retain the information i've learned. I will then make sure to complete every single piece of homework i've been given and make sure to ask my teachers about anything i don't understand.
    At the end of each week i make flashcards for my sciences and make them on everything ive learned in that week. I use flashcards to revise so if i stick to this routine by exam time i will have flashcards on everything i've learned.
    If i have a test coming up i'll get people to test me on my flashcards and at the end of each half term i plan to review all my flashcards and make sure i know them off by heart before i go back to school for the next half term (to decrease revision stress)
    The website i use for my flashcards is called
    Cram , if you're interested.
    wow thanks! this seems like a really good method and i think im gonna follow this from now on. i was never organised at gcse and i want to make a change now

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing biology and chemistry!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you want to join me in trying to complete our homework on the night that it is set? It would cut so much stress out of our lives!

So far I've been okay but sometime soon all of this built-up homework is going to explode and it'll be a catastrophe!

Banana
    :banana::banana2::banana::banana2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana00)
    Do any of you want to join me in trying to complete our homework on the night that it is set? It would cut so much stress out of our lives!

So far I've been okay but sometime soon all of this built-up homework is going to explode and it'll be a catastrophe!

Banana
    I tried and failed

ReputationRep:

Banana
    I could, but the issue is that as the homework load increases, I forget what homework was set in the first place, so I'd end up panicking over not doing a homework that I did ages ago because my memory is horrible.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait, just found out today I'm going to a theatre production on Thursday for Drama! :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah!! Me haha only thing is, someone said to do it a day before the lesson its due because you know what's going on... BUT a bad example of what u said is: about 2 weeks ago I got maths homework did it quickly thinking it was due last week.. Didn't understand and didn't do all of it. He says its due this week so I chill and now its overdue omds so I need to just finish ALL the homework that is set in one go, making it a priority if I decide to do it straight away especially maths assignments!

ReputationRep:

Banana
    Me🙋🏼*♂️ i like your motivation! It's similar to mine, I want to start a new beginning with schoolwork at a levels, I'm not sure the night it's set is always realistic but I see the idea😝

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am falling behind so quickly!
    School finishes at 3.15, I get home at half 4 after picking up my brother and sister, I then volunteer for an hour as I am required to do so, then have dinner and by the time I can start my work it is 8pm! And we get set so much work too so I don't have the physical or mental capacity at midnight to continue working so I just have to wait until the next day, and honestly, its having a really bad impact on me.

ANyone else feel the same?

ReputationRep:
    I would appreciate some opinions on my situation
    Im looking to study computer science at university.I was unable to do A level maths because i didnt make the grade.Im doing computer science,Politcs but cant decide whether to do Economics or Business BTEC should move to btec or stay on economics ?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.