Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodles!)
    Thanks Yeah I really do hope they can help me somehow because I love teaching and would hate to have to give it up now.

Speaking to my sister has just cheered me up- she's in Y8 and has a few student teachers in different departments. And she said that her history one did a starter today and she a) couldn't spell slavery and b) had to ask the class teacher what the second thing in the starter was. Made me feel slightly better about the fact that I can do whole lessons! Also she said her science ones did confuse the class a fair bit, which I'm guilty of. But she said they wrote a lot of stuff on their hands because they couldn't remember/spell the words. On the other hand, her Geography one is "really strict", by which she says she means "he makes us shut up and do the work"! So there's a mix of PGCE students right there!
    I had to get help from my training provider around November-February in my training year. What they did was set up different types of observations (took me to see other students who agreed to it, obviously!) and some very clear targets for me to aim for. It helped massively because it showed me that I wasn't doing much different to the other trainees in terms of planning and teaching, I just had some classroom management issues to sort out. It also showed me that I was always getting waaaaaaay too stressed out about keeping the class quiet all the time (not entirely my own fault, I have to say). Unfortunately this quiet-stress thing still lingers deep inside me. I am trying to eliminate it because you need to have very different expectations when working in primary!

ReputationRep:
    I am about to withdraw from my secondary PGCE. I simply cannot handle the stress and it is making me ill (over the last eight weeks I have reguarly been sick after eating and am struggling to sleep). I cannot go on like this.

I am going to see if I can withdraw temporarily and get some professional help to deal with stress but I doubt it will fly so I am resigned to leaving the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tennyson1984)
    I am about to withdraw from my secondary PGCE. I simply cannot handle the stress and it is making me ill (over the last eight weeks I have reguarly been sick after eating and am struggling to sleep). I cannot go on like this.

I am going to see if I can withdraw temporarily and get some professional help to deal with stress but I doubt it will fly so I am resigned to leaving the course.
    which areas of the course are stressing you out? Anything that we can offer advice/support with? You've come so far..just the final hurdle to get over now.

ReputationRep:

I've just come across your post on the TES forum... hugs x

ReputationRep:

So sorry to hear you're so stressed

I've been thinking about withdrawing myself but I know I'd regret it so I'm just trying to get through it now.

With your course provider, remember that they are there to help you pass. If your direct course leader won't help, go above their heads to the person in charge of ITT at your institution. If you are stressed and anxious, it is their jobs to do everything they can to support you, not to just let you leave.

I really hope you some help to feel less stressed. Hugs xx

ReputationRep:
    WOW the workload is creaping up now!! .... I know you are meant to plan lesson by lesson, but i am trying to plan a few weeks in advance and well it is working really well!!!

Im off to an outdoor education centre with the school next week which should be fun!

Quick question, Does the PGCE work in republic and northern ireland?

And where are teaching/ PE jobs advertised for ireland?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Somehow I've managed to acquire a 5 lesson day tomorrow... eek. One of them is teaching y7 how to use a dictionary though, so I'll enjoy that even if they don't :ahee:

Mostly worried about teaching year 10 for the first time, and with a teacher I haven't yet taught with... I have taught some of her KS3 classes, but only with a cover supervisor when she wasn't there! After all, I've been there since Christmas, so if I'm completely useless she's going to be wondering what the hell I've been doing for the past two months!

ReputationRep:
    I am meeting my new class today, with whom I shall be with until mid-June.

A little nervous. Desperate to make the right sort of impression. I think I went in 'too soft' at my last school, so I want to get that balance right today. :/

Still not 100% happy with where the placement is. I'm in a 2/3 class, but it is meant to be my KS1 placement. I really wanted a 1/2 or [even better] a year 1 class. I have tried talking about it with my STCC [about how I was in 2/3/4 last time, so it is a bit 'close' in my opinion] but he stands by his decision. Will keep my fingers crossed that it all goes well...

And, good luck with your five lesson day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penkwolf)
    WOW the workload is creaping up now!! .... I know you are meant to plan lesson by lesson, but i am trying to plan a few weeks in advance and well it is working really well!!!

Im off to an outdoor education centre with the school next week which should be fun!

Quick question, Does the PGCE work in republic and northern ireland?

And where are teaching/ PE jobs advertised for ireland?

Thanks
    I think... and don't quote me on this. It doesn't as the curriculum is different (like scotland) so you would need to do a conversion course. I have many friends who study from Northern Ireland and if they want to teach there they will have to do a course to get them up to date teaching Irish curriculum.

ReputationRep:
    I was rather nervous about teaching year 10 today for the first time. This was worsened by the fact that they'd seen me in their room once two weeks ago but I wasn't introduced, and today the teacher saw fit to just send me into the room while she finished a couple of oral exams! I'd said that was fine, as I generally don't mind as long as I know where the teacher is (and I prefer being alone with a class)- but I presumed she would introduce me at least!

I managed OK though overall- they were a bit more difficult to keep quiet than I'd anticipated. But they did what I asked. I must have looked nervous though as the teacher did pop in about 5 minutes after I'd done the whole "hello, you don't know me but I'm teaching you today" business, and she gave me a reassuring pat on the shoulder before she went back out! Didn't think I did, but must have. And thinking about it, the students could clearly tell.

Weird thing is, as I said in my last post, I've never actually taught with her in the room, and she only caught the tail-end of the lesson so technically still haven't! So I'm getting increasingly more nervous about teaching with her there. Weird.

ReputationRep:
    Today, I had my final 'alternative focus' visit. They were five visits to different schools, to observe and work with the children, in order to complete a task booklet for each.

Today, I went to a SEBD school for 11-16 year olds. It was a residental school in the middle of nowhere - literally - and I still don't really know what to make of it. I can see some of the positives and the teachers are doing their best to turn the pupils' lives around. But, I don't think I could teach somewhere like that. Whilst we were there, one of the pupils kicked off [before we reached the classroom, so I don't think our presence triggered it]. The head ended up backing up and asking us to wait in a different room whilst he went to deal with it. It's scary. There were only 6 girls in the school [which I don't think I would have liked, as a teenager]; the rest were lads, some of whom were 6 foot + and well built. I think it would take me a long time to feel at ease working in that sort of environment... :/

It is certainly a visit that will stay in my mind and maybe it will make me appreciate my class even more.

ReputationRep:
    How's the old job hunt coming along guys? I've applied to one so far (I was unsuccsessful and not shortlisted-lovely phone call with the head as where to improve next time though!) and I've got a quite a few more to apply for in the next couple of weeks. I'm pretty anxious over how to stand out though, it's so daunting to go against so many people for one job. I've also got my last 2 assignments in soon and final placement after Easter, it's all go, go, go!

ReputationRep:
    My lovely KS1 final placement in a small village primary (15 minutes away from my house!) has fallen through due to staff illness, boohoo.

Hopefully the placement team will find me something soon even if it is the 11th hour. My visit days were supposed to be next Monday and Thursday with a view to start the first Monday after Easter. This is so disheartening but can't be helped. Fingers crossed for me guys!

ReputationRep:
    My KS1 placement in a year 2/3 class [don't ask] really is not a KS1 placement. Basically, I am to teach at the year 3 level because the year 2 pupils are high achievers. This afternoon, due to an injured owl, I ended up covering in reception - it was so good! I've always thought EYFS/KS1 is for me and each time I get to spend time there, that thought grows stronger.

My teacher so charmingly said she would like to see all my medium term plans for the 8 weeks after Easter... tomorrow! Until this afternoon, I didn't even have a class novel [something of a problem, as they believe in a class novel based approach to topics etc]. I sense a long night ahead, to be honest. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balloon_parade)
    My lovely KS1 final placement in a small village primary (15 minutes away from my house!) has fallen through due to staff illness, boohoo.

Hopefully the placement team will find me something soon even if it is the 11th hour. My visit days were supposed to be next Monday and Thursday with a view to start the first Monday after Easter. This is so disheartening but can't be helped. Fingers crossed for me guys!
    That's a real shame. I hope they sort something out for you soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balloon_parade)

I actually have everything crossed for you xx

ReputationRep:
    Being filmed teaching today for "help" purposes. Fortunately it's my favourite class.

But I'm largely concerned about how long it's going to take to get the lesson started as they're year 7s and will probably get into a state either about the stranger in the room with the camera and/or their hair. I have 4 students I HAVE to put in a corner for permission reasons, so they'll be in a flap about not being able to sit with their mates and.... aaaaaarrrrgggghhh

I thought I'd be most nervous about being on camera myself but actually I don't really care, it's all the other stuff, like providing a decent lesson for them as it's revision :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodles!)
    Being filmed teaching today for "help" purposes. Fortunately it's my favourite class.

But I'm largely concerned about how long it's going to take to get the lesson started as they're year 7s and will probably get into a state either about the stranger in the room with the camera and/or their hair. I have 4 students I HAVE to put in a corner for permission reasons, so they'll be in a flap about not being able to sit with their mates and.... aaaaaarrrrgggghhh

I thought I'd be most nervous about being on camera myself but actually I don't really care, it's all the other stuff, like providing a decent lesson for them as it's revision :/
    If it's possible, get them lined up outside the room and give them a briefing about what's going to happen. Tell the 4 students that they will be sitting somewhere else before they go in. It doesn't matter that they don't get to sit with their mates. You're in charge so you decide who sits where, so tell them gently but firmly and if they whine just tell them that you decide and it's no use them moaning about it.

I was filmed a couple of times and I found it really helpful to see my own body language. With a class I found hard I was very closed and tense from the beginning of the lesson, whereas with my favourite class I was relaxed...that really set the tone for the lessons!!

ReputationRep:
    Got a "good" for my lesson observation! From the course manager, who's a harsh marker

Watching the video clips of myself when I got home was the hard part! I'm now incredibly conscious of my accent

ReputationRep:
    Found a note in the back of one of my students' books (the class I had my observation with)- context is that I had my observation with them period 2 and then a second lesson in period 5, which was a complete disaster in comparison!

The note says precisely this: "This has nothing to do with revision or anything that we are learning. Completily irrelivent".

Comments I would like to add to this:
    1) Don't leave comments about teachers/lessons where your teacher will see them.
    2) If you do, spell them properly!

I'm now wondering which lesson this was written in- if it was my observed lesson then that would make me feel awful as I thought (and was told) it was good!

If it was during the second lesson, fair enough as it was a bit of a disaster- but largely relevant. I started them off with some tongue twisters though- just for a bit of fun as they did such a good job in the morning, so the optimist in me thinks it may have been written while they were doing that... didn't think I had to explain the relevance (relivunce!) of everything I do!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.