Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Digby is by far the best for accommodation, but you missed a couple of things out;
    Even though it's all been refurbished every light, door handle and oven glass door is liable to break just by sneezing near them.
    Some of the cleaners take liberties with being ''Assisted cleaners'' and do bugger all except take your traffic cones and tell housekeeping when you put a few tiny holes in the floor is smash the oven door.
    Flat 2 may be the best sized kitchen (I'm a flat 2 resident) but beware random people from all over will use Digby as a shortcut for ASDA, so wear clothes when in the kitchen... especially awkward when people have parents over... or even small children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattCSidd)
    Digby is by far the best for accommodation, but you missed a couple of things out;
    Even though it's all been refurbished every light, door handle and oven glass door is liable to break just by sneezing near them.
    Some of the cleaners take liberties with being ''Assisted cleaners'' and do bugger all except take your traffic cones and tell housekeeping when you put a few tiny holes in the floor is smash the oven door.
    Flat 2 may be the best sized kitchen (I'm a flat 2 resident) but beware random people from all over will use Digby as a shortcut for ASDA, so wear clothes when in the kitchen... especially awkward when people have parents over... or even small children.
    Bit biased seen as you live in digby......?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0xygen)
    Accommodation is pretty expensive though. 4.5K for an en-suit room {Self Catered} with no extras e.g. Bus pass etc...

Thanks for the information though, helped me a lot and I will defo try my best to get into Leicester... Started studying hard one week ago.
    Don't waste your money on the bus pass.

Studying hard eh? I might give that a shot one day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    Don't waste your money on the bus pass.

Studying hard eh? I might give that a shot one day.
    You're lucky, some people are born with an intellectual mind and get top marks without even trying that hard. Others have to work REALLY hard and end up scraping a B

ReputationRep:
    You're lucky, some people are born with an intellectual mind and get top marks without even trying that hard. Others have to work REALLY hard and end up scraping a B
    No, I don't get top marks. I just have a lot of better things to do than study...

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't get top marks. I just have a lot of better things to do than study...
    Ah, alright.

P.S. If you manage to find any information on how respected or how the teaching is for "Computer Science" PLEASE let me know as I am so confused right now... Can barely find any reviews on the subject at Leicester

ReputationRep:
    Ah, alright.

P.S. If you manage to find any information on how respected or how the teaching is for "Computer Science" PLEASE let me know as I am so confused right now... Can barely find any reviews on the subject at Leicester
    OK, but here's some advice, students work way too much there days. All work and no play...

ReputationRep:
    OK, but here's some advice, students work way too much there days. All work and no play...
    You mean students at Leicester are always studying nowadays?

ReputationRep:
    You mean students at Leicester are always studying nowadays?
    Everywhere. Students used to just work before the exams and do nothing in the year but attend lectures and take notes/do any continuous assessment. Now everybody is "busy" all the time. Jovial.

ReputationRep:
    Everywhere. Students used to just work before the exams and do nothing in the year but attend lectures and take notes/do any continuous assessment. Now everybody is "busy" all the time. Jovial.
    That's bad and good at the same time, bad as in you wouldn't have fun but good as in your chances of graduating with a 1st will increase!!

Btw are you doing your PHD at Leicester?

ReputationRep:
    That's bad and good at the same time, bad as in you wouldn't have fun but good as in your chances of graduating with a 1st will increase!!
    Sod the 1st, I'd take three years of sex, drugs (booze and **** of course) and rock 'n' roll over that any day.

EDIT: Probably PhD there, yes. It wasn't my original plan but if they want me, how could I say no?

ReputationRep:
    Sod the 1st, I'd take three years of sex, drugs (booze and **** of course) and rock 'n' roll over that any day.

EDIT: Probably PhD there, yes. It wasn't my original plan but if they want me, how could I say no?
    Why were people telling me that the Leicester freshers don't study? I think the people that are constantly studying are 2nd years+ especially MSc students and PhD

ReputationRep:
    Why were people telling me that the Leicester freshers don't study? I think the people that are constantly studying are 2nd years+ especially MSc students and PhD
    I think freshers in most universities don't do a lot of study. They then regret it and spend the rest of their degrees trying to make up for it. Silly really.

ReputationRep:
    I think freshers in most universities don't do a lot of study. They then regret it and spend the rest of their degrees trying to make up for it. Silly really.
    Yeah, I dunno I think it depends on the course really.. Some are way easier than others hence require less effort and dedication.

At the end of the day everyone who goes to university has an end goal, a perception of the future, and they want to make it there by any means...

BUT some universities aka Leicester only vaguely explain their course and don't give you enough information on graduate prospects (seems as if they are trying to hide it, as if people don't get into top jobs)

ReputationRep:
    BUT some universities aka Leicester only vaguely explain their course and don't give you enough information on graduate prospects (seems as if they are trying to hide it, as if people don't get into top jobs)
    They don't want to give false hope. it would be a serious miss-sell if a university were to promise a life of luxury after completing a degree with them. Go to open days/send e-mails if you want more detailed information.

ReputationRep:
    They don't want to give false hope. it would be a serious miss-sell if a university were to promise a life of luxury after completing a degree with them. Go to open days/send e-mails if you want more detailed information.
    That could be the reason why Leicester isn't in the top 10.

1 - It doesn't teach advanced modules but teaches necessary modules.

2 - It is very vague, they never explain anything properly e.g. Show you a list of the modules you can take in the third year, but instead tend to say:

There are a wide variety of modules you can choose, including:

A,b,c,d

Then the user {applicant} is sitting their like "what about the rest of the modules? do I have to attend an open day to find out what they are?"

3 - They barely provide you with information on graduate prospects but tend to say: 90% of students are working and 10% unemployed.

The applicant will then be like:

"What are they working", "Who could they work for", "What businesses does the university have close links with"

4 - It seems like student satisfaction is what's getting Leicester's ranking up, the students are finding the area + fellow students friendly.

I dunno, it seems like it has pretty good ratings but is still in need of many changes for it to be a top 10 university.

ReputationRep:

2 - It is very vague, they never explain anything properly e.g. Show you a list of the modules you can take in the third year, but instead tend to say:

A,b,c,d

Then the user {applicant} is sitting their like "what about the rest of the modules? do I have to attend an open day to find out what they are?"

3 - They barely provide you with information on graduate prospects but tend to say: 90% of students are working and 10% unemployed.

"What are they working", "Who could they work for", "What businesses does the university have close links with"

4 - It seems like student satisfaction is what's getting Leicester's ranking up, the students are finding the area + fellow students friendly.

I dunno, it seems like it has pretty good ratings but is still in need of many changes for it to be a top 10 university.
    Most university prospectuses are like this, I think their job is to get you interested, make you think of questions you could potentially ask on open/ucas visit days to find out more before you make your firm/insurance choice. So you could say that they have worked on you.

You can't say that leicester does not teach advanced modules. Tell the department that on open days and see what type of response you would get haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hart1995)
    Most university prospectuses are like this, I think their job is to get you interested, make you think of questions you could potentially ask on open/ucas visit days to find out more before you make your firm/insurance choice. So you could say that they have worked on you.

You can't say that leicester does not teach advanced modules. Tell the department that on open days and see what type of response you would get haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ofcourse I'm not going to say that to their face...

I'm basing most of my knowledge on the CompSci course, they are ranked 16th (I think) to 23rd but their CS course doesn't include advanced modules.

ReputationRep:

A,b,c,d

You're deriving a lot from the website/prospectus. you should already know what jobs you can get with your degree. Student satisfaction is course quality and teaching, nothing to do with the area.

ReputationRep:
    You're deriving a lot from the website/prospectus. you should already know what jobs you can get with your degree. Student satisfaction is course quality and teaching, nothing to do with the area.
    Yeah, I dunno, maybe I'm not familiar with how universities work yet.

Btw in your mind and from your experience would you say that Leicester uni is better than queen mary London and nottingham ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.