Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
ConorWilson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Lib. Conor is a very open minded 17 year old whos looked at the economics abd has made his mind up as hes not driven by nationalistic dogma. hes also a member of the SNP youth wing and is therefore a party activist. As such I can assume.
1) he's been brainwashed as he doesn't question.
2) we'll probably see more if this in the future. Cut and paste spam with no debate hoping that if the lie is told often enough it'll become truth. Just look at the comments pages on the newspapers fir that one.
Well after a seris of patronising messages, I find it comical that you resort to claming I'm "brainwashed". This is nothing short of pathetic . Really, thanks for such a charming comment. ​
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ConorWilson)
We currently don't have any influence in Britain.
Well, I'll give you an opportunity to show your independent thinking by asking you why you think the Scots have no influence in Britain? Surely their own parliament, over-representation in the UK parliament, their own local authorities and their own legal system leave them in a far more influential position that that of, for instance, the people of Yorkshire, or those in Manchester. Three of the last nine prime ministers have been Scottish, and so too have a far greater proportion of senior ministers.

If you think that a small minority cannot be truly represented by the whole then I would ask further what you believe should happen to the Shetlanders if they vote to remain in the UK or want independence of their own? They have just as much historical precedent to be apart from Scotland as Scotland does with the rest of the UK.

Then I would ask if, in currency matters, insufficient account is taken of Scottish needs why you think it would be better to have a system whereby no account is taken of them?

Please show me your real understanding of the situation by answering these questions.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well after a seris of patronising messages, I find it comical that you resort to claming I'm "brainwashed". This is nothing short of pathetic . Really, thanks for such a charming comment. ​
To be fair most of what you've said I'd expect to find verbatim on the SNP website.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

17 year old political activist.

I'm open minded. I've looked at the economics.

Youre cutting and pasting sound bites. You making claims and never backing them up.

and yes. I will say brain washed as your not questioning what you're being told.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
So for the first time in 5 years of living in Scotland I'll see the locals supporting England against a fellow Anglophobic nation? Hmmm.
Depends on what pub you go too also you haven't stated anything about Andy Murray , I am guessing I was right
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Megan1234567)
I am guessing I was right
Are you intending to answer the question I asked you in post 1045 of this thread?
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends on what pub you go too also you haven't stated anything about Andy Murray , I am guessing I was right
I did several pages ago. If you know of a single Scottish pub where the regulars support England then please tell me. Heck even if it's in Thurso I'd go.

Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
I did several pages ago. If you know of a single Scottish pub where the regulars support England then please tell me. Heck even if it's in Thurso I'd go.

Okay that's really interesting can we go back to the topic now or is this about pubs? Also not answered about Andrew Murray ?
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Are you intending to answer the question I asked you in post 1045 of this thread?
Sorry eh... Good bloke that I didn't answer your important question what was it again aha?
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Please don't try and claim ownership of an individual. The SNP don't own him. And as far as I am aware he seems to have the same outlook as Chris Hoy.

He gets refered to as Scottish and British. Very much like other athletes. British and Yorkshire, British and West Country.

Please stop making out that there is a media conspiracy to undermine your cause.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How do you know there's not where is your proof?
There always is and you know it mature student ! We all do - that's what the media does ahah!
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How do you know there's not where is your proof?
There always is and you know it mature student ! We all do - that's what the media does ahah!
Where's your proof there is a media conspiracy?

I think it would actually be quite interesting to do a proper study on it. It wouldn't be that difficult to do for someone with the right resources (like a university or something). Just search back through the news looking for references to Andy Murray, categorise them into positive and negative, and record whether they referred to him as Scottish or British or neither.

People think that the news says he's British when he wins, Scottish when he loses (although I'm sure some people claim the opposite too), but until I see some actual numbers I won't believe it. Anecdotal evidence is useless because it's coloured by the views people already have.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
Where's your proof there is a media conspiracy?

I think it would actually be quite interesting to do a proper study on it. It wouldn't be that difficult to do for someone with the right resources (like a university or something). Just search back through the news looking for references to Andy Murray, categorise them into positive and negative, and record whether they referred to him as Scottish or British or neither.

People think that the news says he's British when he wins, Scottish when he loses (although I'm sure some people claim the opposite too), but until I see some actual numbers I won't believe it. Anecdotal evidence is useless because it's coloured by the views people already have.
I'll give you proof watch the TV
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do. I'm just not as narrow minded as you
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Did you actually take in anything I said? You might notice it on the TV, but that could easily be because you only take notice when it happens, and not when the opposite happens.

That is not in anyway proof, it's not even evidence. Humans do not naturally understand statistics, we have to put numbers to it. The fact that you believe it does not make it true.

I'm not even saying it's not true. It easily could be. But at the moment I have no evidence that it actually is.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
Did you actually take in anything I said? You might notice it on the TV, but that could easily be because you only take notice when it happens, and not when the opposite happens.

That is not in anyway proof, it's not even evidence. Humans do not naturally understand statistics, we have to put numbers to it. The fact that you believe it does not make it true.

I'm not even saying it's not true. It easily could be. But at the moment I have no evidence that it actually is.

You do have evidence. An obvious SNP party activist has told you so. And as such should never be questioned.

just as they should never be questioned as to how post seperation we will simultaneously increase public spending whilst cutting it. Lower taxes whilst simultaneously raising them. Maintain public pensions whilst giving lower pensions. And a whole host of pie in the sky.

for more contradictory claims, please visit yes scotland or newsnetscotland where truths will never get in the way of fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
[QUOTE=MatureStudent36;41798338]You do have evidence. An obvious SNP party activist has told you so. And as such should never be questioned.

Awww thank you
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)

Look I am sorry my last reply was infact rude and seemed as if I hadn't payed any attention to the defiant detail you put into that essay so I am sorry. But you know what I am stating is fact everything that is should be classed Scottish that is a success is classed British and vice versa .... I really hope I don't seem rude in this reply.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
[QUOTE=Megan1234567;41798394]
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
You do have evidence. An obvious SNP party activist has told you so. And as such should never be questioned.

Awww thank you

You see. The problem is. You claimed to be undecided and then started with the emotional stuff wrapped up in 'we'.

You're next mistake was cutting and pasting from SNP press releases verbatim pretending it was your own.

Ask your coordinator about buzz marketing. But that's what you've signed up to do.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Look I am sorry my last reply was infact rude and seemed as if I hadn't payed any attention to the defiant detail you put into that essay so I am sorry. But you know what I am stating is fact everything that is should be classed Scottish that is a success is classed British and vice versa .... I really hope I don't seem rude in this reply.
YOuve stated it as fact. It isn't. There's enough of us on here that support Andy, shout abuse at the English during the rugby and like to wear kilts. It's passed us by. It's passed most people by.

the only people who state this as fact are people suffering from the cringe. The cringe isn't going to take us into the future either way. It'll just hold us back.

if it were fact then the SNP would've supported it with empirical evidence. Come to think of it. Even as its not fact I'm suprised that they haven't just made the numbers up as they normally do.

you know there's a word for people who are convinced the outside world is against them. It's called paranoia.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads