Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
    I'm not saying that we couldn't bring in three or more players, nor am I questioning Wenger's ability in the transfer market. I'm simply suggesting that two signings is the most likely outcome. If we accept, for argument's sake, that we sell none of our current first team players (that means we disregard the likes of Arshavin, $quid, Chamakh, Park and Bendtner, because none of them actually play) and sign the optimum number of players you offered, sevchenko, four, we'd literally have no room for everyone. We'd find ourselves in exactly the same position that we're in now: players on substantial wages not even making the matchday squad. Take our most recent league fixture, against Utd, as an example: our bench for that game was as competitive as any, and that was without the likes of Diaby and Fabianski. So unless we move some players on, four is a long shot.
    Or we sign better players so that some of our current first team players become squad players.

That's called progress. (I know that's a strange notion to us but I remain hopeful)

ReputationRep:
    In the last 19 games we've won 12, drawn 4 (to Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd and Southampton) and lost 3 (to Chelsea, Man City and Spurs) - 40 points.

I don't actually think we're in desperate need of 4 players to challenge next season, we've been underrated so much this season. We just need to reach a point where we can actually beat the other title challengers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
    I'm not saying that we couldn't bring in three or more players, nor am I questioning Wenger's ability in the transfer market. I'm simply suggesting that two signings is the most likely outcome. If we accept, for argument's sake, that we sell none of our current first team players (that means we disregard the likes of Arshavin, $quid, Chamakh, Park and Bendtner, because none of them actually play) and sign the optimum number of players you offered, sevchenko, four, we'd literally have no room for everyone. We'd find ourselves in exactly the same position that we're in now: players on substantial wages not even making the matchday squad. Take our most recent league fixture, against Utd, as an example: our bench for that game was as competitive as any, and that was without the likes of Diaby and Fabianski. So unless we move some players on, four is a long shot.
    Nail on the head mate. Unless Wenger has a sudden ruthless urge and flogs the average players in our first team, we're only going to make at most 2 signings. If so then I'd prefer we just went big on a class player like Cavani rather than messing around.

Bottom line is that we're all gullible mugs. I read an article from 2008 today which used exactly the same language as we're hearing now about a mythical war-chest that never actually appears.

(Original post by rhw)
    In the last 19 games we've won 12, drawn 4 (to Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd and Southampton) and lost 3 (to Chelsea, Man City and Spurs) - 40 points.

I don't actually think we're in desperate need of 4 players to challenge next season, we've been underrated so much this season. We just need to reach a point where we can actually beat the other title challengers.
    We're flat track bullies, simple as that. We just dont have genuinely class players like Aguero, Mata, RVP, Bale or Surez. Wilshere will be in that bracket but he cant do it on his own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    You must be kidding

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For a big team we are. Every year we talk players and those we end up buying are not world beaters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    For a big team we are. Every year we talk players and those we end up buying are not world beaters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly its interesting. Disappointing but interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)

the season isin't 19 games long...Arsenal haven't beaten any top english side this whole season.. If you cant beat the best teams in england why should you complete with the best teams in Europe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    He played most of his career in that position it was only after a few seasons at everton that he played as an attacking midfielder so hes not alien to it. Fair enough keep the the guy but dont buy a defensive mid which is probably better than him but because of his age and lack of experience leave him on the bench and let arteta play in the first team for another season.
    Er what? Was that meant to be sarcastic?

No, buy a proper defensive midfielder to play in Arteta's role and keep Arteta as an experienced CM who we can use from the bench.

ReputationRep:
    Had Michu not singed a new contract with Swansea, would have loved to have copped him for around 16mil

Also a while back someone mentioned the possibility of making Vermaelan a DM. I don't think this would be a bad idea, especially since Arteta's role is becoming more questionable. Not a long term thing, but just a kind of trial, when you think about it he has the qualities to play in that position, he's decent technically and loves to go forward and definitely more physical than Arteta. He's also not afraid to shoot and will be another physical presence in the box, he'll get the armband back and more freedom to his play. If Wenger was trying to convert Vertoghen to DM, then surely Verm can be done too as he's our most versatile defender, I dunno maybe I'm loosing my mind. There's an article on this somewhere...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)

Of course man. This panned out exactly like how last year panned out. An absolute carbon copy and you're telling me that you're not in desperate need of players. Get real man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birdman1234567)
    Had Michu not singed a new contract with Swansea, would have loved to have copped him for around 16mil
    Nah we need a world beater up front. Someone who's gonna deliver throughout the season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)

We're a long way off winning the title. Do you really think we can stay with UTD for the whole season? They win relentlessly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    Er what? Was that meant to be sarcastic?

No, buy a proper defensive midfielder to play in Arteta's role and keep Arteta as an experienced CM who we can use from the bench.
    he started his career out as a holding midfield whats so sarcastic about that

ReputationRep:
    Our entire fandom have turned into backseat managers ha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Our best summer signing this year would be Benitez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArsene)
    Oh Good Lord! I hope you're smoking something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArsene)
    You woke up too early!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sufistic)
    Oh Good Lord! I hope you're smoking something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He's on the verge of winning something so now I think we should sign him. Last week it was Ferguson.

I agree with Zurich and DW, I can't see Wenger signing more than two players in the summer (unless we sell someone): there's just an abundance of players Wenger seems to rate. At most, I would think we'll get someone like Jovetic (:crossedf:) and a midfielder. I just hope that if we do get a midfielder, it's someone to supplant Arteta/Ramsey rather than do the double-pivot with them - I'm really not a big fan of playing Cazorla on the left.

ReputationRep:
    Jovetic is a risk, we need a proven no.9 like Cavani or Lewandowski. I wouldn't even mind Benteke tbh, he can do everything, he'll probably score 20 goals this season at a relegation threatened team. At Arsenal he'll be doing that every season and could possibly get more because he'll be receiving better service.

ReputationRep:
    David Villa will likely leave Barcelona this summer - wasn't Wengy quite interested in him in the winter? Wouldn't be surprised if he tried to sign him.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.