Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PGCE 2014 Applications (NOT FOR SPECIFIC INTERVIEW TASK DISCUSSIONS) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    I've chosen to say two separate things about work experience in my personal statement;

a) example of what a teacher did, followed by how i noticed it was useful, linked to skills i have learned through my degree that would help me do similar stuff

b) example of something i did, what happened afterwards, and how my actions helped the situation

I hope that's not too unclear... I can explain it better if you like.

I'm having similar problems with room too, as my degree is a bit unusual. It's Educational Studies, which has clear links to teaching, but I could do with extra room to convince them I'm capable in the National Curriculum subjects too. It's frustrating not having enough lines to say everything!
    Nah, that helps a lot! I've redone it and I think it looks a bit better now. However...I've finished it with 61 lines!! And I don't know how to narrow it down, so I've sent it to my careers service for advice. :/
    I guess with your degree, you'll do a lot of essay writing? So you could link in with English seeing as you probs need a good standard to do a lot of writing, etc. I don't actually know what the degree entails enough to link it in more.

(Original post by cutebat)
    Yea I just basically listed my transcript from the three years- I don't know if it will change this year but the last two times I applied there was loads of spaces and you just list titles of modules and then the credits and I think you might have to put the percentage obtained but I don't remember that bit just remember the credits because I had to make sure I put the .00 after each one or it wouldn't recognise it. I know I thought it would be easier for me this year using my old statement but I'm changing it completely and now I have another role to add I'm struggling to fit it all in too. Still we will be glad we did it now so it is ready to go when the application opens. Just saw your applying for RE and have a politics degree- thats interesting. Have you looked at the subject enhancement courses for RE? x
    Right, cool, thanks! Saves time faffing about on the day when I get all confused! I have looked at the SKE courses, in fact I did one in the summer. It was really useful but I don't know if it's enough for them, but I'm totally willing to do more if they want. I wanted to do open uni modules but they were so expensive! I just can't afford it so if they tell me I'll need to do that, I don't think I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Nah, that helps a lot! I've redone it and I think it looks a bit better now. However...I've finished it with 61 lines!! And I don't know how to narrow it down, so I've sent it to my careers service for advice. :/
    I guess with your degree, you'll do a lot of essay writing? So you could link in with English seeing as you probs need a good standard to do a lot of writing, etc. I don't actually know what the degree entails enough to link it in more.
    Ah, that's good. I'm sure your careers service will be able to advise you further. At least you have a first draft to go off!

Yep, lots of essay writing. I did A Levels in Psychology, English Literature, and French (AS Maths too), which at least have relevance to the National Curriculum, but I don't have the room to explain this! I'm hoping they'll notice this themselves in my education information but I know we're meant to discuss it in the personal statement. It's frustrating how little room we have, isn't it! To think my undergraduate personal statement was only 2,000 characters...

ReputationRep:
    I'm really struggling with the paragraph in the PS about what I've gained from my work exp. Weird thing is, I've been reading loads of examples and none of them seem to say much about it - at most a sentence!

I'm struggling for room too, which I didn't envision! I thought I'd struggle for words but I'm on 47 lines now and there's a lot I haven't said :/ Because I'm doing a politics degree and applying for an R.E PGCE a lot of my room is me trying to convince them I'm capable and my degree is sort of related!
    I just thought about what I learnt in terms of what I observed e.g. The teachers role how she managed behaviour etc, and how the children learnt. And then stated what I actually did and what I gained from it or enhanced (skills) e.g. Patience and understanding skills. And stated what I enjoyed about the experience. I think although it is important you state how your degree is related to an RE PGCE, I think you need to have an equal balance to talk about your work experience. You could always just carry on writing and then cut it down later or get a careers advisor to read it through. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone putting anything about "current education issues" in their P.S? I have put it in, but as I'm over the limit I'm thinking to take it out...I'm sure they're going to ask about it in the interviews anyway? Or do you think we need to put it in to ensure we even get an interview?

Thanks in advance. X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Descartes93)
    Is anyone putting anything about "current education issues" in their P.S? I have put it in, but as I'm over the limit I'm thinking to take it out...I'm sure they're going to ask about it in the interviews anyway? Or do you think we need to put it in to ensure we even get an interview?

Thanks in advance. X
    Cut it out if you don't have space. I didn't put anything in mine about current issues, it's more an interview question.

ReputationRep:
    is it worth mentioning that i am doing my dissertation on education reform? Just thought it may show an active interest in education policy.
    I don't think it really matters the time spent on modules, my lecturer recommends talking about your favourite modules, as the percentage thing is if your doing joint honours or if your degree isn't directly the subject you wanna teach. You don't have to mention your dissertation I haven't this year but last year I mentioned it and I used it as the topic for my interview presentation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Descartes93)

Thanks in advance. X
    Nah you don't need to mention it in your statent. But keep an eye on these issues as they may ask you about them during your interview, either your opinion or to wrte something on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JosephineE)
    I don't think it really matters the time spent on modules, my lecturer recommends talking about your favourite modules, as the percentage thing is if your doing joint honours or if your degree isn't directly the subject you wanna teach. You don't have to mention your dissertation I haven't this year but last year I mentioned it and I used it as the topic for my interview presentation.
    I asked more because the guide I was reading made it out like we don't have a choice whether to put time spent on modules down.

I've ended up mentioning my dissertation, mainly to show interest, however I'm a bit worried because I know they will ask about it at interview, but I don't start proper research until February, up until then it's just plans and bibliography so I won't really have much to say!

ReputationRep:
    I asked more because the guide I was reading made it out like we don't have a choice whether to put time spent on modules down.

I've ended up mentioning my dissertation, mainly to show interest, however I'm a bit worried because I know they will ask about it at interview, but I don't start proper research until February, up until then it's just plans and bibliography so I won't really have much to say!
    Am I right in thinking you're doing the lit review first, then some research in January? That's how we have to do it... all I would do is talk about what your reading is telling you so far and what that has led you to investigate. Your interest in your dissertation topic will shine through and put you in a good light! I don't think you necessarily have to have it finished by then, I know I might not have even started my research til after interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Am I right in thinking you're doing the lit review first, then some research in January? That's how we have to do it... all I would do is talk about what your reading is telling you so far and what that has led you to investigate. Your interest in your dissertation topic will shine through and put you in a good light! I don't think you necessarily have to have it finished by then, I know I might not have even started my research til after interviews.
    Yeah pretty much. We don't have any taught modules next semester so it's just focused on doing the dissertation really. Yeah I'll just have to explain I've only done lit review and plan. The deadline is end of May so of course I;m not going to have it done :rolleyes: I know some people who's deadline was March, but I guess it would feel good to have it out of the way.

ReputationRep:
    is it worth mentioning that i am doing my dissertation on education reform? Just thought it may show an active interest in education policy.

i'm doing my disseration on the national curriculum and have mentioned it in mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swarfliam)
    i'm doing my disseration on the national curriculum and have mentioned it in mine
    Cool, thanks! I nearly did it on the national curriculum too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey,

I just wanted to ask what books you are using to revise for the skills test?

ReputationRep:
    HI,
    As a current PGCE student, I just wanted to quickly give you some advice and save you some unnecessary stress ( I am speaking from a Secondary English perspective)
    - Do not overload yourself with educational policies as in my interview they were not mentioned once!
    - Do not try to memorise national curriculum stuff - You just need to have a fair idea
    - Personal Statements are a big part but do not try to fit in educational policy for the sake of it. Make it about you and your experiences. Mention being a reflective person as it will be a key aspect of your PGCE!

Lastly, before you become obsessed about the PGCE and being accepted on to the course (LIke I did!) take some time to truly analyse your options; the course will be one of the most gruelling tasks of your life. I currently want to quit but I am determined to peservere as I worked so hard to get my place. Despite understanding that many people talked about their 'PGCE hell' I deluded myself to think I would cope with it ... Evidently I am not and I do not want anyone else to suffer and feel physically sick on account they didn't think about their realistic strengths.
    Good luck guys -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pg234)
    Lastly, before you become obsessed about the PGCE and being accepted on to the course (LIke I did!) take some time to truly analyse your options; the course will be one of the most gruelling tasks of your life. I currently want to quit but I am determined to peservere as I worked so hard to get my place. Despite understanding that many people talked about their 'PGCE hell' I deluded myself to think I would cope with it ... Evidently I am not and I do not want anyone else to suffer and feel physically sick on account they didn't think about their realistic strengths.
    Good luck guys -
    Thanks for the insider information! I have to say, I spent the final semester of my degree doing and handing in almost 90% of the work for the whole year. It was tough and incredibly stressful, but manageable and in the end it probably made me better at producing good work with short notice.

If the PGDE is similar then I think I'm going to need a really good routine to de-stress! I'd be applying to the primary education programme, but any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amcgrath)
    I am applying for a PGCE in 2014 (2nd time) in Drama, and was just wondering if anyone else is also applying to do a PGCE in Drama and also does anyone know if/when student finance are funding for the PGCE Drama course?

Thank you
    x
    Im applying for drama! Its also my second time. Where are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I really need some advice. I want to teach English at secondary level. I have a law degree, obtained in 2008. Since then I have been working in a number of various jobs. I have now decided that I would love to teach English. So far, i have started work experience in the English department, at a local school. I have the following A'levels, Law, Religious Studies and Government and Politics.

What chance do I have of getting onto a Pgce or a Schools Direct place?

I am from the Bradford area, so if anyone knows of any local providers or further info, please help.

Emma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma786123)
    Hi guys,

I really need some advice. I want to teach English at secondary level. I have a law degree, obtained in 2008. Since then I have been working in a number of various jobs. I have now decided that I would love to teach English. So far, i have started work experience in the English department, at a local school. I have the following A'levels, Law, Religious Studies and Government and Politics.

What chance do I have of getting onto a Pgce or a Schools Direct place?

I am from the Bradford area, so if anyone knows of any local providers or further info, please help.

Emma
    Hello

I'm going to be honest and say that your chances of getting on a secondary English PGCE aren't very high. English is one of the most competitive PGCEs, and it will generally be required that your degree is 50% in the subject you want to to teach. Not only this but you don't have an English A-Level either, so you can't use that to your advantage. You could e-mail some admissions departments at different unis and see what they say, but when they have so many English graduates, it will be hard to compete without a degree or A-Level. Like I said, I'd advise speaking to some admissions departments in your area. They will most likely tell you if it's not worth applying.

Other more successful options into teaching for yourself may be primary, FE (the PCET) or possibly citizenship or R.S.

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I was wondering if anybody could help me! Im thinking of applying for the PGCE COURSE FOR 2014 but I need to resit my English Language as I have a D at the moment. Any ideas about fee, places in the west midlands (Birmingham ideally).

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teachteachteach)
    Hey. I was wondering if anybody could help me! Im thinking of applying for the PGCE COURSE FOR 2014 but I need to resit my English Language as I have a D at the moment. Any ideas about fee, places in the west midlands (Birmingham ideally).

Thanks
    I think that you should contact the providers you want to apply to and ask them if you can apply before you get the qualification. I know some of them say that you should have the necessary GCSEs prior to application.
    I retook my GCSEs about 5 years ago and it cost me around £300 for the course and just short of £100 for the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.