Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How long did it take for anyone to hear back from Linklaters after taking the Watson glaser?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZaraW)
    How long did it take for anyone to hear back from Linklaters after taking the Watson glaser?

I have not even got a link to the Watson Glaser test. I applied on the 24th of November.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defragmentation)
    Should I not try to prepare preliminary answers to certain competency questions and generic questions they may ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't see that taking 3 days and there's a danger you over prepare/rehearse your answers.

Yes have a think about where/when you have really tested or developed those competencies, but if this results in your writing down scripts of what you are saying you are going OTT and trust me, it won't go well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yytan154)
    When did you apply if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering how long it is between applying and hearing back I just applied a while ago.
    Applied: 13th December
    Reference Request : 17th December
    Interview Invite : 5th January

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done the Hogan Lovells phone interview? If so, how did you find it? I'm a little nervous - first interview of any kind this cycle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pasdesdeux)
    Anyone done the Hogan Lovells phone interview? If so, how did you find it? I'm a little nervous - first interview of any kind this cycle!
    Yeah I have - it was fairly straightforward, if a little bit unsettling due to the interviewer's manner.

I got asked the standard questions (why commercial law?; why Hogan Lovells?) followed by some competency questions. I don't remember all the competencies I was asked about, but one was definitely "overcoming obstacles", which I found a bit tricky. Finally they tested commercial awareness with a question about current affairs - mine was regarding the Ukraine crisis.

All the best and let me know if you have any further questions - I'll do my best to help

ReputationRep:
    Macfarlanes only offered me one available assessment day slot and I can't do that day. Will have to call them tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Interview invite from Shearman & Sterling for anyone tracking application updates

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieRosePicknel)
    Interview invite from Shearman & Sterling for anyone tracking application updates

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyWoccy)
    When did you apply?
    2nd Jan

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieRosePicknel)
    2nd Jan

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm really taking their time to get back to me

ReputationRep:
    Macfarlanes only offered me one available assessment day slot and I can't do that day. Will have to call them tomorrow.
    Wow, smashing it with the interviews at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    Well done on the assessment day can I ask when you applied and when you heard? I haven't applied yet because waiting for an event I'm attending there but have my application ready to send after speaking to HR at the event.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidioteque)
    Wow, smashing it with the interviews at the moment!
    Thanks! I'm really pleased, one rejection and five interviews, although have realised I will be spending a lot of time in London and not doing work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrainingChopeful)
    Well done on the assessment day can I ask when you applied and when you heard? I haven't applied yet because waiting for an event I'm attending there but have my application ready to send after speaking to HR at the event.
    Applied 22nd Dec, heard today

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'm really pleased, one rejection and five interviews, although have realised I will be spending a lot of time in London and not doing work
    That is quite some record, how many have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    Applied 22nd Dec, heard today
    Thank you! Best of luck! Let me know how you find it

ReputationRep:
    I've completed a vacation scheme with CC and had a TC AC. I'm more than happy to talk about my experiences if anybody wants to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    Well done on the interview invite!

Quick question chaps, I am working on the Bird & Bird application. Their two questions are:

1) Why do you think you'll be a successful commercial lawyer?
    2) How Bird & Bird are you?

Now to me both these seem to be asking my competencies (ie teamwork, inquisitive, etc..). I am not really sure how I would answer both without repeating myself, especially given they give a 400 word allowance. Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScroogeHumbug)
    Well done on the interview invite!

Quick question chaps, I am working on the Bird & Bird application. Their two questions are:

1) Why do you think you'll be a successful commercial lawyer?
    2) How Bird & Bird are you?

Now to me both these seem to be asking my competencies (ie teamwork, inquisitive, etc..). I am not really sure how I would answer both without repeating myself, especially given they give a 400 word allowance. Any tips?
    I'd interpret the first question as asking for a more general overview of the skills that would make you a good fit for any commercial law firm (teamwork, communication skills, problem solving, commercial awareness, etc).

The second question seems to be asking why you'd suit Bird & Bird specifically. They're a firm that comes across as quite quirky, so perhaps consider some of the things that are unique about them and talk about how you are aligned to those quirks.

I could be completely wrong, but that's how I'd approach it I think.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.