Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Applied for HR Graduate Faststream. Completed the online test back in September, no email, nothing. Status is still Awaiting on results. I guess it is obvious I failed it. I am applying for other schemes, too, in the private sector. Hopefully, I will hear some good news. Well done to you all who have been successful so far. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by street.lovin')
    Applied for HR Graduate Faststream. Completed the online test back in September, no email, nothing. Status is still Awaiting on results. I guess it is obvious I failed it. I am applying for other schemes, too, in the private sector. Hopefully, I will hear some good news. Well done to you all who have been successful so far. Good luck!
    I've been waiting for a while too, not as long as you, but still a few weeks. I messaged them yesterday and they said the results would be released by the end of November.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by street.lovin')
    Not necessarily! Those with the lowest and highest marks have heard by now.. those in the middle have not - so it can still go either way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManifoldManifest)
    Yeah, do not be modest. If it's a good trait you're a 4, if it's bad you're a 1. For ranking the most and least like you, especially on pages with lots of positives, think about the competency framework and which traits they're looking for. Those are the ones that are most like you.

You'll have your chance to prove you really are like that when you get to the assessment centre.
    Yeah, I'm not convinced it's a great way to sort if people are going to try and game it, and answers 2 and 3 are supposed to be incorrect (I'm not sure this is right, though). I answered honestly based on who I am and what I knew of the correct ways of working, so to me it all seemed obvious. I can't really remember it that well, to be honest, but don't they have questions where you often have to choose between two good points?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GManTheGMan)
    Yeah, I'm not convinced it's a great way to sort if people are going to try and game it, and answers 2 and 3 are supposed to be incorrect (I'm not sure this is right, though). I answered honestly based on who I am and what I knew of the correct ways of working, so to me it all seemed obvious. I can't really remember it that well, to be honest, but don't they have questions where you often have to choose between two good points?
    Yes they did, some had 3 or even 4 good points and it was very hard to rank one of them as bad.

ReputationRep:
    ooooo the competence thing was evil, I thought it would have been the easiest of the three. But it's so easy to second guess yourself, then also try and think what would be the answer they'd want, and try and not sound too modest. Then compare it to the framework, urgh what a headache!

Annoying thing is I've worked in local authority before so have used all those skills before and know I can do the job. Just have to jump through the stupid hoops first.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat.lev)
    Not necessarily! Those with the lowest and highest marks have heard by now.. those in the middle have not - so it can still go either way

(Original post by elliewhitt)
    I've been waiting for a while too, not as long as you, but still a few weeks. I messaged them yesterday and they said the results would be released by the end of November.

(Original post by mellie220)
    Don't worry, I'm exactly the same, completed mine the beginning of October which is still a long time ago! Pretty convinced I've failed, but suppose there is always next year and hopefully my other applications go a little better.

Hey, thank you for your responses.

Kat, I hope you are right and that I am in the middle and being sifted. So, fingers crossed.

Ellie, it has been a very long and exhausting wait. In fact, if I did not come on TSR and found this thread, I would not have remembered it! At least I have a full time job that keeps me going while waiting for other ones. It just would be a very great opportunity to work in the Civil Service.

Mellie, I am planning to reapply every year until I get it or until I can get into HR industry without using graduate scheme. Good luck to you, though!

I am working in a public sector at the moment, had a discussion about career development with some of the OD people. They all said that in the public sector, your career development will be go side way rather than upward, plus if I want to do HR, they don't really do external recruitment for it. So, if I want to go into Civil Service HR then this is probably the only way. Although, I hope I am wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I have been amber banded since 9th September, when I completed the online tests for the GFS.

What are the positives of being amber banded? I suppose the main one is that I still have a chance of going through to the next round. It also frees up time to work on other job applications.

What are the negatives? Not only do I feel like one of those kids who is picked last for a sports team, but the chance of not being picked is still a reality too.

ReputationRep:
    Did the online tests 2 days ago. Yesterday was told I got throught for the DaT stream but waiting to hear back from GFS stream.

I'm assuming I have been amberbanded for GFS. Does anyone know what marks (roughly) u need for GFS and DaT

ReputationRep:
    Been invited to the assessment centre for D and T!

Still waiting to hear back about Generalist though. Only did the E-Tray yesterday!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, is it possible to reschedule the fast stream assessment centre, I've been given the 8th December 2014, but I can't make this date.

ReputationRep:
    Almost certainly. Contact Parity through the contact details on the application site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    The only route in to be an economist is through the fast stream. You can get a temporary appointment as an assistant economist outside the fast stream but you can only get made permanent through getting on the economist fast stream. There are 'experienced hires' that come in from outside the civil service but those come in at higher levels, at least Grade 7.

However outside of the economist profession if the question is how much advantage is there for a graduate to come in as a fast streamer rather than getting an HEO (fast stream equivalent) or an EO post (one grade below) outside of the fast stream I don't think the difference is as marked as it was. In the old days it was very much seen that fast streamers were prioritised in terms of training and being 'made for rapid promotion' but maybe back then all the good graduates that came in were fast streamers, in recent years with a tighter job market for graduates generally there have been more good graduates coming in on EO jobs and to be honest for a directorate if you get someone that's bright they soon get given responsibility above their grade especially if they are looking for it. I suppose this depends on the department of course. I've known a couple of graduates in the last year or so come in on temporary contracts at EO and get promoted to HEO quite quickly, one went for an SEO job very quickly after and nearly got it and got good feedback back, I think if you are good it shouldn't be a great barrier.

A lot of the things the fast streamers get you can replicate anyway by being proactive, if you want a Grade 7 mentor just ask around after you've been in post for a while and start to figure things out, and you will be able to get one. You are supposed to take your learning and development seriously whether you are a fast streamer or not and directors are generally pressurised to show evidence that they are helping their staff develop their careers. Yes fast streamers go on various compulsory courses but tbh I don't think thats the real avenue where you learn. When departments are stretched for resources, like they always are, managers need people at lower grades that can step up and lead things and once you start showing you're good they will use you more and more as someone that can deliver things and that's how you build your competencies.

Also socially you tend to find that the youngish graduates that are not on the fast stream soon meet people their own age that are fast streamers and start get invited over to the same fast stream socials and stuff so its a good way of meeting people and the likes.

And there are stories of people that later decide to go for the fast stream whilst they are in post and probably its easier to get in because you will have dealt with situations like you get in e-tray and the assessment centre so are more familiar with how to make decisions.

So I do encourage people that want to get in the fast stream and don't get in, to try and find a way in to the civil service through normal routes before waiting for next year. It won't be that different in terms of the day to day work experience you will get.
    Thanks for that informative reply! I sent you a PM

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Is anyone going or attending Fast Stream Analytical Assessment center soon?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I've just found out my FSAC date for HR is on the 24th of February. Has anybody else been given that date? x

ReputationRep:
    I've been given my FSAC for HR on 26th Jan so not that far off. Anyone else on that day? arrival at 7.55am is brutal I will make sure I stay very, very close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1-1)
    Hi,

Is anyone going or attending Fast Stream Analytical Assessment center soon?
    Hiya,

I have one towards the end of November Which analytical stream(s) have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    Mine is next week. Need some insights from people who have done it. Fast Streeam Analytical Operations Research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1-1)
    Mine is next week. Need some insights from people who have done it. Fast Streeam Analytical Operations Research.
    They start next week???

I felt sorry for myself with having one at the end of November.

I haven't been before so can't help you there I am afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1-1)
    The fast stream assessment centre guide is very good for providing an overview of the exercises and what to expect.

Some tips

Group Exercise
    Don’t worry if your favourite option is not chosen by the group as one of the options they would like to choose.
    Think about things you can do – eg. timekeeper

Leadership Exercise
    Think about the role of a manager/team leader, what do they do to help their team?
    You can take notes into the exercise so make the most of this for your presentation

Interview
    Look at the six competencies and think about times when you have demonstrated them. Make sure you can go into depth in case they ask follow up questions.

Policy Recommendation
    Start writing straight away
    Make sure you leave enough time for the second part of the task
    Think about how you might structure the exercise as you need to compare and contrast the two options

Self-review
    There is a self-review for each exercise where you choose something you feel you have done well and something you have done less well. Make sure you back this up with evidence from the exercise. This is assessed! But I think the main focus is to ensure that you can identify your strengths/weaknesses so be honest.

Generally
    The day is very long so try and have a good night sleep and eat something for breakfast and lunch.
    Don't worry if you feel you haven't done well in an exercise, you are assessed on competencies and each competency is assessed in 2-4 exercises so you can still pass.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.