Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happynosila)
    In part (b) how to know where to shade? thanks!
    Edit: Misread question. See response below

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariadouglas)
    Oh gosh totally 😂 Been up all night, really can't seem to function currently 😝 Thank you though
    What did you get for the centre? Mine has turned out to involve root 3 all over the place 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oinkk)
    Sketch your circle gained from part a) in the w-plane using a dotted line (as its a strict inequality) and shade inside the circle.
    That's what I thought but the mark scheme is shading the region outside the circle?

(Original post by happynosila)
    In part (b) how to know where to shade? thanks!
    (Original post by oinkk)
    Sketch your circle gained from part a) in the w-plane using a dotted line (as its a strict inequality) and shade inside the circle.
    I don't think it is the inside of the circle, choose a convenient point: z = 0 satisfies |z| < 3, but T : 0  \rightarrow 0, so |z| < 3 maps to the outside of the circle.

ReputationRep:
    i dont get how im to figure out the shaded part in Q6b
    https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f5905...%20Edexcel.pdf

and Q4b
    https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f5905...%20Edexcel.pdf

could someone explain that substituting in a 0 method?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I wasnt sure where to ask this, but its on my mind for FP2/3, could someone please explain to me how marks are awarded for using a calculator? So if you use a calculator to solve a quadratic, and get it right but show no working, do you get awarded the marks? Or for numerical integration and that sort of thing? I'm worried if I'm wasting time showing too much working

(Original post by qsom)
    Hi, I wasnt sure where to ask this, but its on my mind for FP2/3, could someone please explain to me how marks are awarded for using a calculator? So if you use a calculator to solve a quadratic, and get it right but show no working, do you get awarded the marks? Or for numerical integration and that sort of thing? I'm worried if I'm wasting time showing too much working
    As far as I understand, you have to show your working in these cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    As far as I understand, you have to show your working in these cases.
    Okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You get:

\displaystyle z = 2e^{i\pi/12}, 2e^{i3\pi/4}, 2^{-i7\pi/12}

Which give you cartesian coordinates (2\cos \pi/12, 2\sin \pi/12), \quad (2\cos 3\pi/4, 2\sin 3\pi/4) and (2\cos (-7\pi/12), 2\sin (-7\pi/12)).

The lengths between each one are \sqrt{4(\cos \pi/12 - \cos (-7\pi/4))^2 + 4(\sin \pi/12 - \sin (-7\pi/4))^2} = \sqrt{6 + 6} = 2\sqrt{3}.

Multiply by 3 to get the required perimeter. Not quite sure what the problem is here?
    sorry but i was wondering why i can't see many of the pictures you guys post. Can anyone help me with this? is it my computer? thanxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicss)
    Please could anyone explain how to do question 19b and 19d here, really struggling with them! Thanks Attachment 540593
    sorry mate but how do you do 19a) ?

ReputationRep:
    ok quick simple question on particular integrals. for example, take this question: http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level...7&solution=5.1

the mark scheme says to use y=ke^(-x) as particular integral

however when I did it I noticed that e^(-x) appears in the complementary function, so i used y=kxe^(-x) as my PI. why is this not necessary?

(Original post by Anon-)
    ok quick simple question on particular integrals. for example, take this question: http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level...7&solution=5.1

however when I did it I noticed that e^(-x) appears in the complementary function, so i used y=kxe^(-x) as my PI. why is this not necessary?
    It doesn't appear in it's own, what appears is  {e^{-x} \cos {3 x}} , or something like that.

i think i've forgotten how to use latex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon-)

Because e^-x doesn't appear in the CF. It would be an issue if it was like 5e^-x but in the cf if you multiply out the brackets it's acosxe^-x +bsinxe^-x which isn't the same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    It doesn't appear in it's own, what appears is  {e^{-x} \cos {3 x}} , or something like that.
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Because e^-x doesn't appear in the CF. It would be an issue if it was like 5e^-x but in the cf if you multiply out the brackets it's acosxe^-x +bsinxe^-x which isn't the same thing
    makes sense, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon-)

You will only have to use kxe^ax or kx^2e^ax if they tell you to use it as a PI, otherwise, you use e^ax

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me/tell me for Polar questions: Heres the problem, I do not understand when you have to sub in y=rsin(theta) or x=cos(theta) into questions with a polar equation which is r= whatever. Sometimes in the questions they just do dr/d(theta) but sometimes they sub in x or y then differentiate but I do not understand why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirm)
    Can someone explain to me/tell me for Polar questions: Heres the problem, I do not understand when you have to sub in y=rsin(theta) or x=cos(theta) into questions with a polar equation which is r= whatever. Sometimes in the questions they just do dr/d(theta) but sometimes they sub in x or y then differentiate but I do not understand why.
    do you mean when they say in the questions the line is parallel and perpendiuclar to the curve.

If it is parallel you do rsintheta=y then differentiate

If it is perpendicular you do rcostheta=x the differntiate

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirm)
    sometimes they say d/d(theta) but this will be the same thing as differentiating the function y=r sin(theta) or x = r cos(theta).

They just havent put dy/d(theta) but it's the same thing.

As the previous person said,

dy/d(theta) = 0 for parallel to initial line
    dx/d(theta) = 0 for perpendicular to the initial line

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirm)
    If you have got the FP2 edexcel book it should be in Chapter 7. Or you could also check out examsolutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alvosm)
    sorry mate but how do you do 19a) ?

Plug in Z = 0 +2i into the locus and simplify. Then find its argument. Show that the argument is pi/4.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.