Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Yeh, there are people at private schools who can be extremely harsh about it, and when you go somewhere especially like Harrow or Eton when a lot is about money, it's a big factor. Having said that, at mine, I knew a few people who were pretty poor and were there on bursaries, and it does stand out... Like, even going out to town for lunch and some people are happy to go out 2/3 times a week, and some of us couldn't... it was very obvious. It's definitely a contributing factor to whether you should go or not, but generally I'd say if you get the opportunity do it.

Alternatively, just never have kids and don't have these problems!
    What's the point in anything if you don't have kids though?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    I guess I just have different things I want in life... Children isn't part of that.

ReputationRep:
    Not really... if I had the choice, I would never send my children to a state school... Although quite frankly, I find the thought of having children a massive commitment and drain, something that I never want.
    I'd also rather send any children I had to a private school. I think you're missing the point here - the wording made the post seem entitled to a lifestyle which involved children going to private school, and tbh I think many of the right on here, not just Nigel, have been really sheltered all their lives, and have had next to no exposure to poor people whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol, women and cocaine I assume.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I'd also rather send any children I had to a private school. I think you're missing the point here - the wording made the post seem entitled to a lifestyle which involved children going to private school, and tbh I think many of the right on here, not just Nigel, have been really sheltered all their lives, and have had next to no exposure to poor people whatsoever.
    I must admit, I was greatly taken aback by Nigel's post
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Firstly, I'd be extremely careful about saying what exposure you think people have had. It's often patronising, and almost everyone here knows **** all about what other people have experienced and what they've been through.

And quite frankly, if it's someone's lifestyle that they want to send their kids to private school, then how they go about them, is really up to them imo.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Alcohol, women and cocaine I assume.
    They may be fun, but they are pointless. I don't engage in any of those activities (I'm not referring to women as an activity, merely being "active" with them) with the hopes of them leading to anything spectacular. It's why those things (other than women as a means of procreating, not that it is all they're useful for) never feature heavily in religion, even Satanism despite its emphasis on selfishness and pleasure.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Firstly, I'd be extremely careful about saying what exposure you think people have had. It's often patronising, and almost everyone here knows **** all about what other people have experienced and what they've been through.

And quite frankly, if it's someone's lifestyle that they want to send their kids to private school, then how they go about them, is really up to them imo.
    It wasn't that what he said was wrong, it's just the way it was said. It was just very alien, even myself despite agreeing with him, was taken aback by it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    They may be fun, but they are pointless. I don't engage in any of those activities (I'm not referring to women as an activity, merely being "active" with them) with the hopes of them leading to anything spectacular. It's why those things (other than women as a means of procreating, not that it is all they're useful for) never feature heavily in religion, even Satanism despite its emphasis on selfishness and pleasure.
    1 of those is pointless! In all seriousness though, when I'm older I want to concentrate on my work, and not have any commitments. I know it sounds harsh, but I've seen what it's like with my brother, which has probably put me off... Similarly I don't want to come home to a wife who's waiting for me, and wants to go out at the weekend etc... I just want to do my own thing.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    It wasn't that what he said was wrong, it's just the way it was said. It was just very alien, even myself despite agreeing with him, was taken aback by it.
    Mmm, I kinda see from the view of it's not automatically going to happen, but yeh, I agree with his sentiment!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    1 of those is pointless! In all seriousness though, when I'm older I want to concentrate on my work, and not have any commitments. I know it sounds harsh, but I've seen what it's like with my brother, which has probably put me off... Similarly I don't want to come home to a wife who's waiting for me, and wants to go out at the weekend etc... I just want to do my own thing.
    I agree, alcohol is pretty pointless

In all seriousness though, it's kinda why I'm doing what I'm doing. Getting a house and mortgage paid off ASAP, giving me time to progress in a career, get enough money, find a bird, get married, pop one out, send it off to school, watch him become PM. All part of the plan.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I agree, alcohol is pretty pointless

In all seriousness though, it's kinda why I'm doing what I'm doing. Getting a house and mortgage paid off ASAP, giving me time to progress in a career, get enough money, find a bird, get married, pop one out, send it off to school, watch him become PM. All part of the plan.
    Yeh, I didn't mean alcohol

Mmm, but even then, having a kid is hardly just sending it off to school... it's 18 years of **** basically. And he's probably gonna be PM, sorry to burst that bubble early!

Even if I have enough money by the time I'm 35 to be comfortable having a kid financially, I wouldn't want to, as your life changes, and it's changed for 18 years, (adoption aside) whether you like it or not.

ReputationRep:

People talk at least a little bit about their lives both on here and in the skype group. You can also infer a lot from their opinions and the things they find important.

I was being somewhat facetious but I think that hedonism isn't too uncommon a philosophy, especially among those disinclined to think about philosophy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I plan to work hard to be able to afford to send my children to a top school, or hope my parents will stick to their word about fees, but there is nothing wrong with feeling entitled to send children to an independent school. Every parent is entitled to send their children to an independent school if their children are smart enough, are capable enough, and the money is there to pay the school fees.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    People talk at least a little bit about their lives both on here and in the skype group. You can also infer a lot from their opinions and the things they find important.

I was being somewhat facetious but I think that hedonism isn't too uncommon a philosophy, especially among those disinclined to think about philosophy.
    Fair enough - didn't mean to come across so rude, but I still stick to my belief that the way people on here aren't as truthful, or don't give the best representation of what they've experienced irl. I could be totally ****ing wrong though
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This is the key point, though philosophically I have a rather simplistic view that we should just leave the place better than we found it. Too many have failed in that regard, no doubt, pleasure is all well and good, but it is rather short term.

ReputationRep:
    At least we'll be free! I'm personally not family oriented, and don't believe in the traditional sense of marriage (just for procreation etc.)

I personally don't have the patience to deal with children; just because you want children doesn't mean everyone else does.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    At least we'll be free! I'm personally not family oriented, and don't believe in the traditional sense of marriage (just for procreation etc.)

I personally don't have the patience to deal with children; just because you want children doesn't mean everyone else does.
    It wasn't supposed to be patronising or condescending, it was a genuine question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Are you telling me that alcohol and the more expensive foods are a necessity for the poor? Now that's where they're going wrong

FFS of course they're not going to get TUSC on, they're a joke, it would be like using Galloway or Farage.
    I didn't know every person in receipt of benefits spent it all on drink and cigarettes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    I didn't know every person in receipt of benefits spent it all on drink and cigarettes.
    Seems to be what you're suggesting given you are saying that need is not want in response to me saying that the reason there is not saving in my case is want not need.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.