Turn on thread page Beta

Medicine Rejections 2009 entry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil_Waffle)
    NOOOOO! I'm a grad too but with a 635 UKCAT. I feel for you my (secret best) friend!

How did you find out btw? On track?
    Yeah, track (at 10pm no less!) Grads sticking together here! We should start a pact to destroy all school leavers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iscariot)
    Yeah, track Grads sticking together here! We should start a pact to destroy all school leavers
    Don't worry! We both still have Barts and UEA! Too bad your interview is a day after mine, it would have been interesting meeting you! I read your blog btw, don't worry too much about how much prep you've done my story is almost exactly the same. In fact my hardcore prep starts any second now!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry! We both still have Barts and UEA! Too bad your interview is a day after mine, it would have been interesting meeting you! I read you blog, don't worry too much about how much prep you've done my story is almost exactly the same. In fact my hardcore prep starts any second now!
    I have bloody exams to revise for too, so I'm donating all my major preparation to the 7th. Time to finally read the GMC, about MMC and all that other super interesting stuff :p:

(Original post by !MEna)
    Your BMAT is solid so I'm fairly sure you'll end up with an interview notification from Imperial soon.

So did your Track updated today or did it update before the holidays began without you realising till today?
    It must've updated after 5pm as I didn't get an email from Track. I randomly logged on to see what dates the courses start lol.

I log on once a day so it definitely was updated yesterday.

Gutted though. :/

Good luck with your app though My personal statement must have been a dud, even though I thought it was good (as did my head of year and form tutor). Meh.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments Hopefully will meet some of you next year, fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    It's time to post here.

I got rejected from King's College London.

I checked past 5pm and there was no update. I check now and I see Unsuccessful.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that !MEna. The first thing that I heard was a rejection too, so hopefully the rest will work out for you. You still have three options and your BMAT almost met the automatic interview threshold for UCL. I hope you get an interview there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    It's time to post here.

WHAT!:eek: :eek: :rant: :rant:

That's gay man, i don't know what wrong with these *******s.
    But the pain and anger does pass, honest.

We will BEAT them, its just a matter of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    It's time to post here.

sucks doesn't it

we'll get through this. believe me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    It's time to post here.

I'm really gutted for you. Not much else I can say apart from that really. Just remember you've still got three choices left, okay? :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    It's time to post here.

I know you always thought King's was a risk, but you should be proud for at least giving it a shot; have no regrets and remember, you only need one after all

ReputationRep:
    ARGGG! WHY IS EVERYONE I LIKE GETTING REJECTED!

Don't worry !MEna just concentrate on the rest and try and get some feedback from Kings.

Its Obvious they had the UKCAT cut off ridiculously high for School Leavers.

ReputationRep:
    to be rejected solely due to the UKCAT is outrageous. i can understand that they need to use something to differentiate between thousands of candidates, but the UKCAT is not the way forward. it's unjust and inaccurate of one's potential of becoming a doctor.
    I really hope that future aspiring medics won't have to be subject to this monstrosity and that the system changes, because at the moment it's completely ******.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    It's time to post here.

No way

I'm so sorry to hear that dude!

Don't get disheartened! You still have 3 choices left! It's King's loss, and I have no idea why they would have done that! You seem like a much better applicant than I am!

Best thing to do now is focus on your up coming exams and ace them! That will show them

Chin up! :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    to be rejected solely due to the UKCAT is outrageous. i can understand that they need to use something to differentiate between thousands of candidates, but the UKCAT is not the way forward. it's unjust and inaccurate of one's potential of becoming a doctor.
    I really hope that future aspiring medics won't have to be subject to this monstrosity and that the system changes, because at the moment it's completely ******.
    you said it. My rejection according to my letter was solely due to my UKCAT score. I can't say whether it works at finding good potential medics and medical schools don't know yet if it produces good potential medics but i dislike the idea of that being my only reason despite everything else i have/have done

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. I don't really know what to say. Not exactly the ideal start to the New Year, especially with exams starting next week. It has basically killed my motivation to revise right now if I'm honest. I'm trying so hard to take the advice I have given to others about moving on with things, getting on with revision and just hoping for the best - and it is so hard. I don't think there is any point in me requesting feedback since it's either down to my personal statement or my UKCAT score, though I'm fairly sure it was down to the UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    I feel for all you guys who have been rejected from Kings, especially on the discovery that it is based on UKCAT which has been proven is no measure of (academic) intelligence. Take for example applicants from my school, with some candidates who performed lesser academically scoring higher in their UKCATS than those who academically performed better. I know that at medical schools that they try to take everyone into consideration but shouldn't it be done on grades which you can actually work for, and not some stupid test! :mad: I no that I am just ranting and it is impossible to base everything solely on grades but still... other universities manage to complete the selection process without substantially looking at the UKCAT

To conclude: UKCAT is ok as a resource to judge a med applicant but should not be used as marker for whether candidate accepted or rejected :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Thanks guys. I don't really know what to say. Not exactly the ideal start to the New Year, especially with exams starting next week. It has basically killed my motivation to revise right now if I'm honest. I'm trying so hard to take the advice I have given to others about moving on with things, getting on with revision and just hoping for the best - and it is so hard. I don't think there is any point in me requesting feedback since it's either down to my personal statement or my UKCAT score, though I'm fairly sure it was down to the UKCAT.
    Do not worry. Do something nice for yourself this evening and try and re-focus tomorrow. All you need is one interview and one offer. If it is due to your UKCAT, then it is not because of your application. You still have three more options and seeing as you have not heard yet, you should stay positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    It's time to post here.

:hugs:
    I'm really sorry about that Mena!
    Still, with your qualifications && W/E && everything else, you should have no trouble with your other three choices
    Kings has been ridiculously tight this year though, so chances are that they are going to be undersubscribed *points and laughs at KCL for being tight so-and-so's*
    Chin up :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    I know how you feel right now...after having had 2 rejections so far. Maybe i should have been more wise in choosing the right university......I went for the ones which i thought were academically well known. Now i have got 2 more options left......and i would be more than happy to recieve an offer from either of them. Medicine is what i want to do!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Unlucky !MEna man. Your UKCAT isnt even low, plus you have GCSE's to back it up! Ha i saw your post and was like oh ok so i've been rejected from Kings then and logged into UCAS but nah nothing. I dont see how they can diffrentiate between PS's everyone tries hard and a lot of people have a lot to write about! The UKCAT is stupid although i did get the same score twice so maybe it works! But yeah my score is only 622.5 so im sure i will follow suit. Probs tomorrow!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2010

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.