Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Noodles!: Glad your observation went well, nothing better than something you've put work and worry into going well!

I'm still stuck without a placement, so depressing! Especially as everyone else is at school. Boohoo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodles!)
    Found a note in the back of one of my students' books (the class I had my observation with)- context is that I had my observation with them period 2 and then a second lesson in period 5, which was a complete disaster in comparison!

The note says precisely this: "This has nothing to do with revision or anything that we are learning. Completily irrelivent".

Comments I would like to add to this:
    1) Don't leave comments about teachers/lessons where your teacher will see them.
    2) If you do, spell them properly!

I'm now wondering which lesson this was written in- if it was my observed lesson then that would make me feel awful as I thought (and was told) it was good!

If it was during the second lesson, fair enough as it was a bit of a disaster- but largely relevant. I started them off with some tongue twisters though- just for a bit of fun as they did such a good job in the morning, so the optimist in me thinks it may have been written while they were doing that... didn't think I had to explain the relevance (relivunce!) of everything I do!
    Mark it with a BIG RED PEN, and then stick it into their book, complete with the same feedback you'd give any other work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    Mark it with a BIG RED PEN, and then stick it into their book, complete with the same feedback you'd give any other work.
    SO tempted to do that. Especially as I'm giving them back to their teacher after tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! Easter hols! Wooohooo! Hope everyone is doing well - I've been on my second placement for four weeks now and it is a total contrast to my first one! It's an academy in a deprived area, behaviour problems etc but strangely I am enjoying it! The kids are far more interesting and the schools is so much more exciting, friendlier staff etc than the grammar I was in.

I've already had my uni tutor observe me and he was pleased, had another one from my p.mentor and again, very pleased. Ended this term still on a "Good" grade, hoping to move up to "Outstanding" but apparently my mentor doesn't like to give them out. Ah well, as long as I don't go down I'll be happy!!

Applying for jobs now - slightly scary!

Bexxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckye)
    Hi everyone! Easter hols! Wooohooo! Hope everyone is doing well - I've been on my second placement for four weeks now and it is a total contrast to my first one! It's an academy in a deprived area, behaviour problems etc but strangely I am enjoying it! The kids are far more interesting and the schools is so much more exciting, friendlier staff etc than the grammar I was in.

I've already had my uni tutor observe me and he was pleased, had another one from my p.mentor and again, very pleased. Ended this term still on a "Good" grade, hoping to move up to "Outstanding" but apparently my mentor doesn't like to give them out. Ah well, as long as I don't go down I'll be happy!!

Applying for jobs now - slightly scary!

Bexxx
    What, new username?!
    Glad you're enjoying placement 2, I think more challenging classes/kids are more fun too!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with the job hunt, everybody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Good luck with the job hunt, everybody.
    Thank you! It's all go at the moment isn't it. Seems to be lots to apply for so keeping my fingers crossed. I just want to have one already so I can relax, wouldn't it be wonderful!

I have a placement, woohoo! Also even closer to home than the last one, 15 minutes, what a relief!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balloon_parade)
    Thank you! It's all go at the moment isn't it. Seems to be lots to apply for so keeping my fingers crossed. I just want to have one already so I can relax, wouldn't it be wonderful!

I have a placement, woohoo! Also even closer to home than the last one, 15 minutes, what a relief!
    Yes, it's a big relief. It's the recruiting season now, so there'll be lots coming up. Don't despair for a long while yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Yes, it's a big relief. It's the recruiting season now, so there'll be lots coming up. Don't despair for a long while yet.
    There is a lot but I'm in pre-despair pressure mode. I've also applied for a few summer jobs to keep me going.

Also everyone, just wanted a bit of advice. A job has come up for Sept at my previous placement school (which I loved) what do you think regarding a school visit? Should I go and show my face? What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot but I'm in pre-despair pressure mode. I've also applied for a few summer jobs to keep me going.

Also everyone, just wanted a bit of advice. A job has come up for Sept at my previous placement school (which I loved) what do you think regarding a school visit? Should I go and show my face? What do you think?
    I think if you want it, you can't be too keen. Go and remind them what they can have if they give you a chance. On the other hand, don't jump for the first place that offers. When I got my first job, in the recession of the early 80s, I took the first job at the first interview I had, because I didn't think I'd have any choice, and as a result, I spent 5 years years doing a 50 mile round commute to a rough school because I didn't have enough faith in my ability to do any better. My subsequent career (!) suggests I sold myself short. Don't do the same.

ReputationRep:
    Where is everyone?

I've just started my final placement today in a lovely Y2 class. How have we got here so fast?!

ReputationRep:
    Where is everyone?

I've just started my final placement today in a lovely Y2 class. How have we got here so fast?!
    I know!! I have 33 teaching days left... woohoo!

I'm so excited for next year now; I really want to get started with my own classes.

ReputationRep:
    You guys are hardcore, PGCE = tough ****ing ****. My close friend dropped out about this time of year during hers, she decided she didn't want to do that kind of work any more. I'm super impressed by people who manage them alone. I have a **** work ethic, I couldn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Moan time... had my first "photography incident" today. I saw myself on the screen of a kid's phone and made her delete it... all I ended up seeing was a photo gallery with no evidence of that picture. So it could still be there for all I know.

So I spoke to her after the lesson and she swears blind someone else picked up her phone and took it (I had let them listen to music on their phones as it was a computer lesson...), I really doubt this. She apologised profusely and I did go and tell the class teacher who just sort of said "oh", so not sure what else I was supposed to do?

I was also on my own with that class (they're terribly behaved for a grammar school class)- the teacher was in another room waiting to receive any naughty kids to give them copying to do. The only problem is, I thought she was in the office but actually was in another classroom- good job I didn't need to send anyone to her, really.

I don't even know whether that's the best thing for me with that group- I agree with her that it's good to have someone there to get the naughty ones out, and that I need to be able to do it myself, but all I know is that I really needed her in the room today! If only just to ask her how to deal with the picture thing. And then there's the issue with me being observed- it's not so much that I can't tell what's gone wrong because you can when something goes wrong in a lesson can't you? But when I need an official observation doing, who's supposed to do it? The kids are going to know if she comes in that there's nowhere for them to be sent (unless I rope in the HoD, I guess, she has naughty kids for other teachers so would do for me). And what if someone from my course comes in and HAS to see that group? There are moderators etc coming round who probably won't be flexible on times.

So yeah I don't actually expect that anyone will have read all of that but needed to vent.

ReputationRep:
    Moan time... had my first "photography incident" today. I saw myself on the screen of a kid's phone and made her delete it... all I ended up seeing was a photo gallery with no evidence of that picture. So it could still be there for all I know.

So I spoke to her after the lesson and she swears blind someone else picked up her phone and took it (I had let them listen to music on their phones as it was a computer lesson...), I really doubt this. She apologised profusely and I did go and tell the class teacher who just sort of said "oh", so not sure what else I was supposed to do?

I was also on my own with that class (they're terribly behaved for a grammar school class)- the teacher was in another room waiting to receive any naughty kids to give them copying to do. The only problem is, I thought she was in the office but actually was in another classroom- good job I didn't need to send anyone to her, really.

I don't even know whether that's the best thing for me with that group- I agree with her that it's good to have someone there to get the naughty ones out, and that I need to be able to do it myself, but all I know is that I really needed her in the room today! If only just to ask her how to deal with the picture thing. And then there's the issue with me being observed- it's not so much that I can't tell what's gone wrong because you can when something goes wrong in a lesson can't you? But when I need an official observation doing, who's supposed to do it? The kids are going to know if she comes in that there's nowhere for them to be sent (unless I rope in the HoD, I guess, she has naughty kids for other teachers so would do for me). And what if someone from my course comes in and HAS to see that group? There are moderators etc coming round who probably won't be flexible on times.

So yeah I don't actually expect that anyone will have read all of that but needed to vent.
    I did....sounds like a sucky day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaime1986)
    I did....sounds like a sucky day
    Ditto.

My day was reasonably good today, although I felt quite nervous. It was my first proper day teaching my new class. The structure of the day is so different to my previous school and I have a TA for part of the day, which is also a new thing for me.

I had initial positive feedback from my STCC and teacher - I think they had flagged up classroom management from my first placement, so I made a real effort with it. My teacher said I just have to keep at it now - being firm. I've introduced a couple of new reward schemes though, which the kids seem to like. My afternoon lessons went a bit mad though. The teacher wanted to talk to them about a new afterschool club [something I am working with her on] but talked for over 20 minutes. She left me with 25 minutes for a lesson planned to be a tight 55. Needless to say, it didn't go to plan. The children seem to take quite a long time to do stuff, so it filled the rest of the afternoon. The lovely art lesson I had planned will have to be done another time. On the positive side, that is a lesson planned, prepared and ready to go.

I am already shattered though. We had an Ofsted focused teacher training day all day yesterday - it seriously dragged. Then, this morning, we had our weekly 7.45am staff meeting. It runs until just before the children come in, so despite getting into school at around 7.40am, I was having to sort things out last minute. My carshare guy wants to be in school for 7am tomorrow, as he said he thinks he will work better that way. I can already sense that I will be dead on my feet come lunchtime, but thankfully, I have PPA in the afternoon. A nap might be in order!

ReputationRep:
    Eugh, just found out today that I have a formal observation and a University presentation...... NEXT WEEK. Argh

ReputationRep:

I read it all! Do you know why she took it? I know a couple of boys on my course have had girls take pictures of them because they fancy them. In that respect I suppose it's a bit of girly harmless fun - maybe she was dared or something?

Are you allowed to be on your own with the class? We've been told by university we can't be alone with them, though I am often alone with my sixth form class and have been left alone with the lower years before. Last placement I was often alone with a difficult class, and it was pretty annoying not having anyone to turn to for support - especially so early on. I understand your frustration!

ReputationRep:
    I read it all! Do you know why she took it? I know a couple of boys on my course have had girls take pictures of them because they fancy them. In that respect I suppose it's a bit of girly harmless fun - maybe she was dared or something?

Are you allowed to be on your own with the class? We've been told by university we can't be alone with them, though I am often alone with my sixth form class and have been left alone with the lower years before. Last placement I was often alone with a difficult class, and it was pretty annoying not having anyone to turn to for support - especially so early on. I understand your frustration!
    Why wouldn't we be allowed to be on our own with the classes? :confused: We are all CRB checked etc... I am usually on my own with the class and have been since my first placement. The only exception is PE - primary student teachers are not insured to teach PE, so I have to have another teacher in there with me for that.

I arrived at school at 7am today. I left school at 5.50pm. A near 11 hour day and I've had to bring stuff home [Big Write marking and some resource prep for tomorrow]. The joys of having some 'issues' in the class amongst certain pupils and the fact I've ended up doing an extra curricular club [the only student, of the four at my school, who seems to have landed that one lol]. I am shattered!

So looking forward to the weekend! It best be amazing lol.

ReputationRep:

I don't know why she/whoever it was did it... all I know is that they're never being allowed any privileges like music again!

Yeah we can be left alone as long as the teacher is "on call" in case anything happens- they're still the ones who are accountable for the class, after all. I genuinely don't mind, and in fact would prefer it, with any other class- but I'm just not sure with this group.

Last term the head of English was down on the cover rota to supervise me with two year 12 students as the teacher was away- you should have seen how pleased she was when I said she could stay in her office and I'd call if I needed her!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.