Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0xygen)
    Yeah, I dunno, maybe I'm not familiar with how universities work yet.

Btw in your mind and from your experience would you say that Leicester uni is better than queen mary London and nottingham ?
    It's very hard to just say if a university is "better" or not because there are so many variables. Nottingham is known as being somewhat more of an elite/elitist university compared to Leicester, but its course quality is not necessarily better. They have more money though. I don't know anything about Queen Mary, though should be a clue though, in terms of chemistry anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    It's very hard to just say if a university is "better" or not because there are so many variables. Nottingham is known as being somewhat more of an elite/elitist university compared to Leicester, but its course quality is not necessarily better. They have more money though. I don't know anything about Queen Mary, though should be a clue though, in terms of chemistry anyway
    Didn't know that Nottingham was known as an "elite" university... I didn't apply to it because they were lower than Leicester on league tables.

Would you say Leicester is still classed as a respected / reputable university? or is it average...

ReputationRep:
    Didn't know that Nottingham was known as an "elite" university... I didn't apply to it because they were lower than Leicester on league tables.

Would you say Leicester is still classed as a respected / reputable university? or is it average...
    Leicester is considered to be a very well respected university these days...

http://www.theguardian.com/education...gue-table-2014
    13th

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/University_Guide/
    14th

Subjects:
    http://www.theguardian.com/education...uide-chemistry
    3rd

http://www.theguardian.com/education...de-biosciences
    3rd

http://www.theguardian.com/education...-guide-physics
    9th

ReputationRep:
    Huh? Why are the required grades still ABB then?

ReputationRep:
    Huh? Why are the required grades still ABB then?
    Because the university prides its self on not demanding only AAA students because of course getting high grades does not make you the perfect student.

ABB is still a damned good A-level result, far better than what I achieved (CCD) and now I am looking to PhD research, what does that tell you?

ReputationRep:
    Because the university prides its self on not demanding only AAA students because of course getting high grades does not make you the perfect student.

ABB is still a damned good A-level result, far better than what I achieved (CCD) and now I am looking to PhD research, what does that tell you?
    Surprising.

Btw its only ranked 3rd on the Guardian, on the other one its ranked 27th I think

ReputationRep:
    Surprising.

Btw its only ranked 3rd on the Guardian, on the other one its ranked 27th I think
    Main one to look at is 'the complete university guide 2014'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All league tables seem innacrate to me.. They don't rank the quality of the teaching but focus more on student satisfaction etc

ReputationRep:

Hey Sammy (Guessing that's your name), how long do "Open Days" or UCAS applicant days usually last? Need to book a train ticket.
    They said that it starts at 9:30 I think... I need to book a return ticket.

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse I'm not going to say that to their face...

I'm basing most of my knowledge on the CompSci course, they are ranked 16th (I think) to 23rd but their CS course doesn't include advanced modules.
    I'm taking first year Biological Sciences, and I can confirm that those modules are far more than basic in the amount that we have to know and be able to apply. They go way beyond the necessities in providing 6 hours of practical time a week, and are always really supportive when you need help, as well. 10/10 would recommend. Also, I got ABC in my A levels as opposed to my ABB offer, so if you drop a grade then you'll probably be okay as long as you look promising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiriel)
    I'm taking first year Biological Sciences, and I can confirm that those modules are far more than basic in the amount that we have to know and be able to apply. They go way beyond the necessities in providing 6 hours of practical time a week, and are always really supportive when you need help, as well. 10/10 would recommend. Also, I got ABC in my A levels as opposed to my ABB offer, so if you drop a grade then you'll probably be okay as long as you look promising.
    Really? Sounds pretty good. Do you know if Leicester has any good "links" with industries and firms? They don't really mention and brag about them like other universities. E.G. On the QMUL website they always talk about their graduate students now working with "linked industries" such as IBM etc..

ReputationRep:
    Really? Sounds pretty good. Do you know if Leicester has any good "links" with industries and firms? They don't really mention and brag about them like other universities. E.G. On the QMUL website they always talk about their graduate students now working with "linked industries" such as IBM etc..
    I've never asked, but I've talked to some second years who said that the university was really helpful in helping them get a year in industry for their third year, for example. Either way, I think Leicester is the best place I could have gone, and in the end university choices are less about ranking and league tables and more about whether you're enthusiastic about the course and feel comfortable with the atmosphere of the university as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiriel)
    I've never asked, but I've talked to some second years who said that the university was really helpful in helping them get a year in industry for their third year, for example. Either way, I think Leicester is the best place I could have gone, and in the end university choices are less about ranking and league tables and more about whether you're enthusiastic about the course and feel comfortable with the atmosphere of the university as a whole.
    Sounds pretty cool, but most of Leicester's links are in Leicester / around Leicester. A uni of London will have links in / around London.. I need to ask Leicester if they have links in London..

ReputationRep:
    Hey Sammy (Guessing that's your name), how long do "Open Days" or UCAS applicant days usually last? Need to book a train ticket.
    They said that it starts at 9:30 I think... I need to book a return ticket.
    Can't you get an open return? You could always just stay the whole day - go and see the city? Take someone with you and have dinner?

ReputationRep:
    Can't you get an open return? You could always just stay the whole day - go and see the city? Take someone with you and have dinner?
    I'm looking for the cheapest option, which in this my case is £30.

An open return is around £70 from London, x2 people = £140.. Can go to Paris with that

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for the cheapest option, which in this my case is £30.

An open return is around £70 from London, x2 people = £140.. Can go to Paris with that
    Weird, try looking at 2x singles. I can get to St. Pancras from Leicester and back for £10-£20 each way.

ReputationRep:
    Weird, try looking at 2x singles. I can get to St. Pancras from Leicester and back for £10-£20 each way.
    I tried, it's impossible

ReputationRep:
    I tried, it's impossible

ReputationRep:
    I tried, it's impossible
    Then just go by yourself and spend the whole day When is the open day?

ReputationRep:
    Then just go by yourself and spend the whole day When is the open day?
    Paid £39, its cheaper when you book 1 month in advance + when you select the exact times. I'm going to the CompSci applicant day, so that's on the 15th of Feb.

I'm going to be staying there till like 5:50pm.. Won't be able to visit the actual city center as it would take me too long to get there

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.