Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    haha all the best with your decision k! most impt, you must feel comfortable about your degree choice. Pick one you like best

Liberal arts is awesome but caveat here. 1) very very very very extremely selective admission, much more stringent than the UK unis. 2) degree isnt well recognized in singapore.

However it is super prestigious in the USA though.

ReputationRep:
    haha nah i'm not too excited about the prospect of living in the us. uk just seems better for me...as in the place itself. and the whole admission procedure's damn ma2 fan2. lol.

i think lib arts will get more recognition in sg, with the recent straits times article about the rj kid who got straight As but chose to go to a lesser known (versus the usual suspects like princeton, harvard etc) lib arts college instead.

ReputationRep:
    I from poly and got into cardiff. How? Song bo? LOL!

ReputationRep:
    cardiff not difficult to get into at all what..lol

@verse

u honestly didnt think that one newspaper article is gona change the whole situation did you? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yonanz)
    cardiff not difficult to get into at all what..lol

@verse

u honestly didnt think that one newspaper article is gona change the whole situation did you? lol
    not the whole situation but i'm willing to bet that from now on, carleton (the school that chick went to) will see more applications from our little island than previous years. :rolleyes:

i thought cardiff's not bad?

ReputationRep:
    Entry requirement is ABB. Song bo???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yipkc)
    Entry requirement is ABB. Song bo???
    urrrm. okaayyy...:rolleyes: congrats...

ReputationRep:
    @verse

haha thats for sure

@yipkc

diam lar. UK unis love our $$$ and so so uni like cardiff will let any internationals in de, even if you have **** GPAs. They wilk take as many as possible to make $$$$. you honestly think the ABB on their prospectus is an accurate reflection of their requirements for internationals?

Besides, entry requirements says NOTHING bout the reputation/quality of the uni itself. Face it - Cardiff is ok, but not great.

ReputationRep:
    @verse

haha thats for sure

@yipkc

diam lar. UK unis love our $$$ and so so uni like cardiff will let any internationals in de, even if you have **** GPAs. They wilk take as many as possible to make $$$$. you honestly think the ABB on their prospectus is an accurate reflection of their requirements for internationals?

Besides, entry requirements says NOTHING bout the reputation/quality of the uni itself. Face it - Cardiff is ok, but not great.
    is the 'leniency' for internationals thing present in higher end schools like durham? would love to go for their combined social sciences but they want AAA...heh. the number of places is kinda low though.

ReputationRep:
    @ verse

I would suppose so. I cannot commit myself to a definite answer really. Its a fact that overseas uni loves $$ and lowers requirements for internationals for the $$ but the extent to which they do this varies from uni to uni. My advice to you is not to worry about whether you can "get in or not". Just prepare a good personal statement and apply.

For the record, Durham Law officially asks for AAA too but the past few years have seen a number of internationals who were given conditionals ABB. What was bizarre was that a senior of mine a few years back got conditional of AAA - this might be an isolated case but it does speak something about the unpredictability of university's admissions and selection procedures. However, my personal opinion is that durham is situated very up north. It is not a v popular spot for international students who are looking for the fun and hustle associated with city life, of which London fits the bill of course. Hence, the no of internationals in durham is comparatively lesser than those in schools like kcl, lse, imperial, nottingham or bristol. What I am implying is that competition (among internationals to durham) might not be as strong as you think. Hopefully this would ease some of your worries.

That said just apply and dont worry about all the can-I-get-in and what not. Leave that to later, the most impt thing is polish your ps and get your ref from your teacher.

ReputationRep:
    LOL! That chi bye tell me to diam. Who says say nothing. Surely got something. You look OXbridge. All AAA. You see cardiff BBB. You see brunel CCC. You see huddersfield DDD. You see bolton. EEE. Still say no have relation. Got lots la chi bye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yipkc)
    LOL! That chi bye tell me to diam. Who says say nothing. Surely got something. You look OXbridge. All AAA. You see cardiff BBB. You see brunel CCC. You see huddersfield DDD. You see bolton. EEE. Still say no have relation. Got lots la chi bye.
    please don't go around saying you're from singapore when you're in cardiff. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    This guy is stupid beyond belief. Its a utter waste of time to explain the lack of correlation between grades requirements and quality/reputation of a university. Well verse Im sure we can see the stark diff between poly and jc grads.

ReputationRep:
    This guy is stupid beyond belief. Its a utter waste of time to explain the lack of correlation between grades requirements and quality/reputation of a university. Well verse Im sure we can see the stark diff between poly and jc grads.
    hmm i choose to believe that our friend here's an abberation, an anomaly.

i know poly friends who are intelligent and articulate human beings with EQ to boot. at the same time i know some pretty thick jc grads too. don't wanna get into a ****ging war of poly vs. jc.

in other news, my tutor still hasn't got back to me with my reference! don't know if i should bug her for it.

PS. some UCAS questions. what should i put down for the 'awarding body' in the education section for my A and O level results? also, should i state General Paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verse)
    please don't go around saying you're from singapore when you're in cardiff. :rolleyes:
    Chi bye! Didn't you see i from Hong Kong? You **** eye ar? Karn Larn!

ReputationRep:
    Yar lar. Kana say until like that then bui tahan. Somemore crybaby tell verse about that. CRYBABY!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yipkc)
    Chi bye! Didn't you see i from Hong Kong? You **** eye ar? Karn Larn!
    "chee bye" and "kum lan"... good choice of words though! So sian no one posts here now

ReputationRep:
    heyhey, who's going to uk for uni this year? looking for people~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sakura_candy)
    heyhey, who's going to uk for uni this year? looking for people~
    i'll be going in 09 (if i'm going at all) haha.

where you headed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verse)
    haha nah i'm not too excited about the prospect of living in the us. uk just seems better for me...as in the place itself. and the whole admission procedure's damn ma2 fan2. lol.

i think lib arts will get more recognition in sg, with the recent straits times article about the rj kid who got straight As but chose to go to a lesser known (versus the usual suspects like princeton, harvard etc) lib arts college instead.
    which lib arts college did he/she choose to go to? williams?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.