Singapore Kopitiam Watch

yonanz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
haha all the best with your decision k! most impt, you must feel comfortable about your degree choice. Pick one you like best

Liberal arts is awesome but caveat here. 1) very very very very extremely selective admission, much more stringent than the UK unis. 2) degree isnt well recognized in singapore.

However it is super prestigious in the USA though.
verse
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
haha nah i'm not too excited about the prospect of living in the us. uk just seems better for me...as in the place itself. and the whole admission procedure's damn ma2 fan2. lol.

i think lib arts will get more recognition in sg, with the recent straits times article about the rj kid who got straight As but chose to go to a lesser known (versus the usual suspects like princeton, harvard etc) lib arts college instead.
yipkc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I from poly and got into cardiff. How? Song bo? LOL!
yonanz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
cardiff not difficult to get into at all what..lol

@verse

u honestly didnt think that one newspaper article is gona change the whole situation did you? lol
verse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by yonanz)
cardiff not difficult to get into at all what..lol

@verse

u honestly didnt think that one newspaper article is gona change the whole situation did you? lol
not the whole situation but i'm willing to bet that from now on, carleton (the school that chick went to) will see more applications from our little island than previous years. :rolleyes:

i thought cardiff's not bad?
yipkc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Entry requirement is ABB. Song bo???
verse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by yipkc)
Entry requirement is ABB. Song bo???
urrrm. okaayyy...:rolleyes: congrats...
yonanz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
@verse

haha thats for sure

@yipkc

diam lar. UK unis love our $$$ and so so uni like cardiff will let any internationals in de, even if you have **** GPAs. They wilk take as many as possible to make $$$$. you honestly think the ABB on their prospectus is an accurate reflection of their requirements for internationals?

Besides, entry requirements says NOTHING bout the reputation/quality of the uni itself. Face it - Cardiff is ok, but not great.
verse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
@verse

haha thats for sure

@yipkc

diam lar. UK unis love our $$$ and so so uni like cardiff will let any internationals in de, even if you have **** GPAs. They wilk take as many as possible to make $$$$. you honestly think the ABB on their prospectus is an accurate reflection of their requirements for internationals?

Besides, entry requirements says NOTHING bout the reputation/quality of the uni itself. Face it - Cardiff is ok, but not great.
is the 'leniency' for internationals thing present in higher end schools like durham? would love to go for their combined social sciences but they want AAA...heh. the number of places is kinda low though.
yonanz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
@ verse

I would suppose so. I cannot commit myself to a definite answer really. Its a fact that overseas uni loves $$ and lowers requirements for internationals for the $$ but the extent to which they do this varies from uni to uni. My advice to you is not to worry about whether you can "get in or not". Just prepare a good personal statement and apply.

For the record, Durham Law officially asks for AAA too but the past few years have seen a number of internationals who were given conditionals ABB. What was bizarre was that a senior of mine a few years back got conditional of AAA - this might be an isolated case but it does speak something about the unpredictability of university's admissions and selection procedures. However, my personal opinion is that durham is situated very up north. It is not a v popular spot for international students who are looking for the fun and hustle associated with city life, of which London fits the bill of course. Hence, the no of internationals in durham is comparatively lesser than those in schools like kcl, lse, imperial, nottingham or bristol. What I am implying is that competition (among internationals to durham) might not be as strong as you think. Hopefully this would ease some of your worries.

That said just apply and dont worry about all the can-I-get-in and what not. Leave that to later, the most impt thing is polish your ps and get your ref from your teacher.
yipkc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
LOL! That chi bye tell me to diam. Who says say nothing. Surely got something. You look OXbridge. All AAA. You see cardiff BBB. You see brunel CCC. You see huddersfield DDD. You see bolton. EEE. Still say no have relation. Got lots la chi bye.
verse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by yipkc)
LOL! That chi bye tell me to diam. Who says say nothing. Surely got something. You look OXbridge. All AAA. You see cardiff BBB. You see brunel CCC. You see huddersfield DDD. You see bolton. EEE. Still say no have relation. Got lots la chi bye.
please don't go around saying you're from singapore when you're in cardiff. :rolleyes:
yonanz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This guy is stupid beyond belief. Its a utter waste of time to explain the lack of correlation between grades requirements and quality/reputation of a university. Well verse Im sure we can see the stark diff between poly and jc grads.
verse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This guy is stupid beyond belief. Its a utter waste of time to explain the lack of correlation between grades requirements and quality/reputation of a university. Well verse Im sure we can see the stark diff between poly and jc grads.
hmm i choose to believe that our friend here's an abberation, an anomaly.

i know poly friends who are intelligent and articulate human beings with EQ to boot. at the same time i know some pretty thick jc grads too. don't wanna get into a ****ging war of poly vs. jc.

in other news, my tutor still hasn't got back to me with my reference! don't know if i should bug her for it.

PS. some UCAS questions. what should i put down for the 'awarding body' in the education section for my A and O level results? also, should i state General Paper?
yipkc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by verse)
please don't go around saying you're from singapore when you're in cardiff. :rolleyes:
Chi bye! Didn't you see i from Hong Kong? You **** eye ar? Karn Larn!
yipkc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yar lar. Kana say until like that then bui tahan. Somemore crybaby tell verse about that. CRYBABY!
Oracle_163
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by yipkc)
Chi bye! Didn't you see i from Hong Kong? You **** eye ar? Karn Larn!
"chee bye" and "kum lan"... good choice of words though! So sian no one posts here now
sakura_candy
Report 11 years ago
heyhey, who's going to uk for uni this year? looking for people~
verse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sakura_candy)
heyhey, who's going to uk for uni this year? looking for people~
i'll be going in 09 (if i'm going at all) haha.

where you headed?
rachelcee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by verse)
haha nah i'm not too excited about the prospect of living in the us. uk just seems better for me...as in the place itself. and the whole admission procedure's damn ma2 fan2. lol.

i think lib arts will get more recognition in sg, with the recent straits times article about the rj kid who got straight As but chose to go to a lesser known (versus the usual suspects like princeton, harvard etc) lib arts college instead.
which lib arts college did he/she choose to go to? williams?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (188)
52.51%
No (170)
47.49%

Watched Threads