Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If the Uni I want to go (Nottingham industrial econ) were in clearing last year, does that mean they'd be lenient on grades on results day?

they usually ask for AAB but in clearing they wanted ABB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    Do what you want.
    My friend was rejected from all 5 universities last year so who knows. (And she was good, she just didn't do Maths...)
    Maybe that could be why?

ReputationRep:
    Did a bit of my PS and I found it near impossible to phrase my essay competition achievement without sounding like a douche XD

Gawww I'm slowly getting sick of adding to it now >.<
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Did a bit of my PS and I found it near impossible to phrase my essay competition achievement without sounding like a douche XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You shouldn't worry about it; when I mentioned my RES essay competition achievement, I just talked about the research I did for it and why I chose the topic I did. Hell, I didn't even talk about the conclusion and I didn't make the fact that I was shortlisted stand out; I just said 'my shortlisted entry'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ask your teacher very politely to include it. I'm assuming want to show you were in the top 10 rather than talk about it. So the referee can just explain your achievement rather than you beating yourself up about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epic Flawless)
    You shouldn't worry about it; when I mentioned my RES essay competition achievement, I just talked about the research I did for it and why I chose the topic I did. Hell, I didn't even talk about the conclusion and I didn't make the fact that I was shortlisted stand out; I just said 'my shortlisted entry'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I definitely made a point to include that I was highly commended. I didn't include the research and stuff that I did for it though, I talked about my conclusion and what I gained from it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Ask your teacher very politely to include it. I'm assuming want to show you were in the top 10 rather than talk about it. So the referee can just explain your achievement rather than you beating yourself up about it.
    Sounds like a swell idea! Need to find and try read a bit about my reference, since I only found out about my predictions a few days ago!

(Original post by Epic Flawless)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmmm interesting ok thanks! May I ask for a slight elaboration on the research bit ? Slightly confuses me on what you can write about it

Do references give much weight in comparison to the Ps? Or is it more if just a 50/50 ?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a swell idea! Need to find and try read a bit about my reference, since I only found out about my predictions a few days ago!

Hey!
    What did you get for your predictions if you don't mind me asking? and where are you applying to!

I've only managed to get 2/3 predictions so far, and I think im getting geography prediction tomorrow

So far, i'm thinking of applying to surrey and bristol(for economics and econometrics)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blazekid75)
    Hey!
    What did you get for your predictions if you don't mind me asking? and where are you applying to!

I've only managed to get 2/3 predictions so far, and I think im getting geography prediction tomorrow

So far, i'm thinking of applying to surrey and bristol(for economics and econometrics)
    I still haven't gotten mine yet and it's almost the end of October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    I still haven't gotten mine yet and it's almost the end of October.
    you mean September right? xD

Well my school has decided to make the deadline for applications the 15th of October so they sort of have to tell us our predicted grades quickly

ReputationRep:
    Only reason i see it is, if your teacher are firm believers of people scraping A's at AS usually cant repeat the same during A2.

Still even if you scrape it, teachers usually just predict the same as your achieved grades anyways. Talk to the head and they will probably resolve it quickly.
    Talked to my head of year and within 24 hours my predicted grades had changed from ABB to A*AA. Pretty chuffed with that but it does go to show how flawed the system is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cantankerous cod)
    Talked to my head of year and within 24 hours my predicted grades had changed from ABB to A*AA. Pretty chuffed with that but it does go to show how flawed the system is.

(Original post by blazekid75)
    Hey!

I will either be predicted AAB or A*AB or A*AA. - Im really gonna try hard to get the Maths grade bumped up to an A grade prediction! The system is indeed flawed. I might have been predicted A* in economies despite not me getting 90%+ >.<

So far im applying Surrey, Exeter, Royal Holloway and Southampton... Unsure on the 5th. For your PS, how did you talk about Econometrics Blaze?

ReputationRep:
    I will either be predicted AAB or A*AB or A*AA. - Im really gonna try hard to get the Maths grade bumped up to an A grade prediction! The system is indeed flawed. I might have been predicted A* in economies despite not me getting 90%+ >.<

So far im applying Surrey, Exeter, Royal Holloway and Southampton... Unsure on the 5th. For your PS, how did you talk about Econometrics Blaze?
    Ahah good question, I still need to..
    Tbh I need to change my PS a lot, and add more maths stuff I guess.
    Ooh Maybe we'll both go surrey! ^^
    Where would you want to go anyway?

ReputationRep:
    These are the Grades I have received:

AS Maths (A)
    A2 Maths (A*)
    AS Economics (A)
    AS History (A)

AS Further Maths (Predicted A)
    A2 Economics (Predicted A)
    A2 History (Predicted A*/A)

I have chosen to apply at these unis/and choices

LSE: Economics (L101)
    Royal Holloway Economics (L101)
    UCL: Economics (L100)
    LSE: Economics with Economic History (L1V3)
    Royal Holloway: Economics and Mathematics (LG11)

Since LSE/UCL want an A* in Maths, and Royal Holloway tend to want a A/B - how likely am I to get an unconditional offer (BTW, I have finished my A-Level Maths, with a definite A* in the bag???)

Also, for AS Economics I scored these UMS
    AQA AS Economics
    ECON1: 83/100
    ECON2: 80/100

Wanting to achieve an A, do you think I should retake ECON2, since I'm only hanging by a thread on the A, and A2 Economics is significantly harder.
    Ii thought I did well in ECON2, but unfortunately the grade boundaries were higher than usual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A193)
    These are the Grades I have received:

AS Maths (A)
    A2 Maths (A*)
    AS Economics (A)
    AS History (A)

AS Further Maths (Predicted A)
    A2 Economics (Predicted A)
    A2 History (Predicted A*/A)

I have chosen to apply at these unis/and choices

LSE: Economics (L101)
    Royal Holloway Economics (L101)
    UCL: Economics (L100)
    LSE: Economics with Economic History (L1V3)
    Royal Holloway: Economics and Mathematics (LG11)

Since LSE/UCL want an A* in Maths, and Royal Holloway tend to want a A/B - how likely am I to get an unconditional offer (BTW, I have finished my A-Level Maths, with a definite A* in the bag???)

Also, for AS Economics I scored these UMS
    AQA AS Economics
    ECON1: 83/100
    ECON2: 80/100

Wanting to achieve an A, do you think I should retake ECON2, since I'm only hanging by a thread on the A, and A2 Economics is significantly harder.
    Ii thought I did well in ECON2, but unfortunately the grade boundaries were higher than usual.
    If you're going for an A* then there isn't any point. But I'd retake it if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cantankerous cod)
    I'm not blaming you or anything, I'd probably do the same to better my chances but it really does sum up the system. Predictions mean very little nowadays since so many people get their predictions bumped up, it gives Universities even less to go on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not blaming you or anything, I'd probably do the same to better my chances but it really does sum up the system. Predictions mean very little nowadays since so many people get their predictions bumped up, it gives Universities even less to go on.
    Not really, since unis judge your predictions in light of your AS results (and in some cases UMS) so they'll notice if anything has been bumped up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A193)
    Herro
    If you've guaranteed your A* (In theory) then you might as well bump up your choices to some AAA universities possibly.
    You cannot get an unconditional because your still in the process of A2. In an imaginary world where Perfect competition exists, you could even achieve A*UU... so yeah.... Unconditional are for gap year/mature students usually

Just be aware that as you are doing 2 A2's and 1 AS in your final year, this may raise an eyebrow from some universities because it could almost be seen as 'lazy' even though you fast tracked your A2 maths. This happened for a student in my school a few years back, where they fast tracked A2 maths in Y12 then did A2 Fmaths and Chemistry or something in Y13.

ReputationRep:
    Most uni's base predictions on the reputation of the college that gave them i.e. if a college is known to over-predict it will be taken into account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-Torres)
    If the Uni I want to go (Nottingham industrial econ) were in clearing last year, does that mean they'd be lenient on grades on results day?

they usually ask for AAB but in clearing they wanted ABB
    100% yes. If you got ABB they would let you in, BBB maybe not as there may be better applicants applying through clearing/adjustment

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.