Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Bear in mind that most PGCEs will cover more than just key stage one so you will have to be happy to do others too even if they aren't your favourite.

Was it just the ability that you didn't like? If so, remember that reception have just started and many of them will be new to being in education. By the end of the year it will be completely different (maybe take a look at "Development matters in the eyfs" which lists typical development for a child, especially the "early learning goals" for each area as these are where children are "expected" to be at the end of reception.

On the other hand if its the structure that put you off (based on Chns interests, play based etc) then, while I'd encourage you to look in to why that structure is used (as it can also be great for key stage 1) early years may not be for you.

Good luck with your KS1 experience, they are lovely and after early years seem so grown up!!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh yeah, I know that, and I'm totally fine with doing other year groups but I'm pretty sure that I'm interested in that age group. Also, it really wasn't that I didn't like those years, as I really did. If anything, it was more that there were aspects I liked from each of those years and that I felt that year 1/2 would be a better compromise. But as I said, I haven't yet had a placement involving year 1 and 2 so I'm not sure yet.

I could very well end up preferring Reception, there was a lot that I enjoyed when working with them. I think it was just that there was very little actual 'teaching' when it came to conveying facts and information, but as you say, I was with them just as they'd started school and the first two weeks are probably very different to the last ones. I'm actually hoping to go back to the same class later in the year to see how they've progressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    As someone else said, you'll have to do a placement in the previous or following key stage, no matter your preference, so don't go in thinking you can pick and choose the specific year group. I'm training just now and while my main placement will be in KS2, a) I have no control over WHERE in KS2, and b) I'm in year one just now for my first assessed placement, regardless of my personal preferences.

So even if your final placement was going to be in Y1/2, you would also have to do a placement in either early years/nursery or KS2.

While working you also don't always have control over exactly where you end up. As staffing needs change you may well be moved to a different year group than that which you originally joined the school to teach.
    Oh no, that's not what I meant- I know I can't choose when on the actual PGCE, but I intend to get a couple more weeks of experience in and so far I've been given some level of choice about where I do those placements.

I would probably be perfectly happy with either Reception or Y3/4, the years I've had placements with so far, but I'd like to have an idea of my 'preferred' age group before I start the PGCE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pg234)
    HI,
    As a current PGCE student, I just wanted to quickly give you some advice and save you some unnecessary stress ( I am speaking from a Secondary English perspective)
    - Do not overload yourself with educational policies as in my interview they were not mentioned once!
    - Do not try to memorise national curriculum stuff - You just need to have a fair idea
    - Personal Statements are a big part but do not try to fit in educational policy for the sake of it. Make it about you and your experiences. Mention being a reflective person as it will be a key aspect of your PGCE!

Lastly, before you become obsessed about the PGCE and being accepted on to the course (LIke I did!) take some time to truly analyse your options; the course will be one of the most gruelling tasks of your life. I currently want to quit but I am determined to peservere as I worked so hard to get my place. Despite understanding that many people talked about their 'PGCE hell' I deluded myself to think I would cope with it ... Evidently I am not and I do not want anyone else to suffer and feel physically sick on account they didn't think about their realistic strengths.
    Good luck guys -
    Hi there,

Thank you for your advice! I will certainly take it on board!

This may sound like an awful question, but can I ask what is so stressful about the PGCE because I have heard this so many times and I'm panicking.

Is it the sheer amount of work? The lack of time?

I look forward to hearing from you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuroshokora)
    Oh yeah, I know that, and I'm totally fine with doing other year groups but I'm pretty sure that I'm interested in that age group. Also, it really wasn't that I didn't like those years, as I really did. If anything, it was more that there were aspects I liked from each of those years and that I felt that year 1/2 would be a better compromise. But as I said, I haven't yet had a placement involving year 1 and 2 so I'm not sure yet.

I could very well end up preferring Reception, there was a lot that I enjoyed when working with them. I think it was just that there was very little actual 'teaching' when it came to conveying facts and information, but as you say, I was with them just as they'd started school and the first two weeks are probably very different to the last ones. I'm actually hoping to go back to the same class later in the year to see how they've progressed.
    Yeah, visiting again will be lovely! I always find as well that the more I get to know individual children the more I realise they can actually do ^^

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    Hi there,

Thank you for your advice! I will certainly take it on board!

This may sound like an awful question, but can I ask what is so stressful about the PGCE because I have heard this so many times and I'm panicking.

Is it the sheer amount of work? The lack of time?

I look forward to hearing from you x
    The sheer amount of things you have to consider when planning just one lesson.
    Planning successful and useful lessons is pretty hard.
    The filing and constant paperwork you need to keep on top of - alongside the uni assignments.
    The exhaustion you feel when constantly trying to reach targets, show you're progressing and getting to grips with planning etc.
    The individual problems that arise with children, especially if you are assigned a form. In the last week we had at least 10 serious issues arise in two days.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    I'm thinking of applying for pgce english and at the moment trying to put together my personal statrment. Does anyone have any good tips for constructing an outstanding personal statement? I know what to put in it but structuring and making it stand out is what I'm finding the hardest
    would be great for some tips
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a link to the list of institutions that will be opening on the 21st, I want to see if the list has updated since I saw it last.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I second the above query. People keep talking about seeing what's on the list and what's not but I can't find anything anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, everyone! I am looking to apply for PGCE Primary, with Derby, Nottingham Trent and Leicester being my choices at the moment. Just sat here revising for my numeracy skills test, anyone booked/sat their tests already?

Also, I was under the impression that all applications opened on 21st...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildrover)
    Does anyone have a link to the list of institutions that will be opening on the 21st, I want to see if the list has updated since I saw it last.
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Yeah I second the above query. People keep talking about seeing what's on the list and what's not but I can't find anything anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...rch.HsForm.run

ReputationRep:
    Are those all of the courses? Two of the unis I was looking at aren't listed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewyy)
    Are those all of the courses? Two of the unis I was looking at aren't listed.
    No, they are updating the list constantly. By the 21st most, if not all should be there.

ReputationRep:
    Working on my personal statement - bit too long! We only have a week to wait now basically :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the list!! How did you find that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebat)
    Thanks for the list!! How did you find that?
    It's on the UCAS website - a little complicated to find but after some navigation you'll find it. Sorry I don't remember exactly where on the website, I think it's course search or something.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Glad to see almost all courses so far opening on the 21st as opposed to opting for the weird system UCAS have introduced.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cheers you're a star

ReputationRep:
    Can the courses you're applying for see the other courses you are applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    Hi, everyone! I am looking to apply for PGCE Primary, with Derby, Nottingham Trent and Leicester being my choices at the moment. Just sat here revising for my numeracy skills test, anyone booked/sat their tests already?

Also, I was under the impression that all applications opened on 21st...
    I'm applying for Primary PGCE (and School Direct) at Trent and Derby too! You can't sit the skills test until you've applied as far as I'm aware, as long as you take it before you enroll that's the main issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Thank you!

Glad to see almost all courses so far opening on the 21st as opposed to opting for the weird system UCAS have introduced.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh Lord! I am totally confused now.Can anyone explain me if we have decided our 3 choices of universities and that we want to go through UCAS website for application also that we are applying for age group of 3-11,what is the search for training programmes about?Can anyone plz explain me....m really tensed now,the website is really confusing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.