Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)
    Eurgh. I hate winter more than anything in the world, it's just such a ****ing killjoy. It's cold and dark and dull and glum and overall ****. Last winter was awful, so cold, and this one will probably be even worse now that I'm living with my parents again and they don't put the heating on nearly enough. I think I might end up emigrating from this country within the next ten years, somewhere littered with palm trees would be nice.
    I don't mind the cold and I quite enjoy the snow. A brisk cold in the morning wakes me up. It's the darkness I can't stand it makes everyone so gloomy.

ReputationRep:
    I love winter - I like the cold, I like how everything gets very festive and I like a light dusting of snow.

I can't stand the country coming to a standstill when we get more than about an inch of it though. Currently living in Austria, and have booked flights to go home for Christmas. Knowing my luck, we'll have about 2 foot of snow over here, but not much disruption. I'll land on England where there's 2 inches and everything will be shut!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by JPKC)
    I'm the opposite, probably because my weak, photophobic eyes insist on scrunching-up at even the slightest glint of light.

Isn't the Tory policy to stick a jumper on?
    Yeah my eyes are pretty sensitive to bright light too, I think it runs in the family coz my sister has a lot of problems with it. When I went to Spain last month I felt like a newborn kitten it was so damn bright when I first went out in it But I love the heat so much that it's worth it.

Haha unfortunately they seem to have taken that on board because it's what they're always telling me to do :rolleyes: Luckily they usually tighten their act up when it gets really cold by finally turning it on, but in the early winter months it gets pretty cold in here. My technique is exercise to keep warm, I'll be damned if I'm wearing a jumper indoors.

(Original post by Republic1)
    I don't mind the cold and I quite enjoy the snow. A brisk cold in the morning wakes me up. It's the darkness I can't stand it makes everyone so gloomy.
    I love snow for about five minutes but I quickly end up hating it with a passion when the novelty wears off But yeah, the darkness of winter is horrible. The night lasts for about 18 hours. Then when the day finally comes it's still dark. Everyone walks around looking all sad and empty like they've just murdered someone. It's really not nice. When the clocks go back this Sunday it's going to be getting dark at about 5PM, I hate that. Still, it's only four months until spring and if it goes as quick as the last four months have gone then it's not so bad.

ReputationRep:
    Haha unfortunately they seem to have taken that on board because it's what they're always telling me to do :rolleyes: Luckily they usually tighten their act up when it gets really cold by finally turning it on, but in the early winter months it gets pretty cold in here. My technique is exercise to keep warm, I'll be damned if I'm wearing a jumper indoors
    Without wanting to turn this into the monty python Yorkshiremen sketch, you should try living with my dad! We only had the heating on twice last year, and that was because he was running a DofE trip with school so mum was able to get her hands on the heating!
    It's funny though, grandparents come round for Christmas usually, and last year Grandma kept her coat on the whole time she was in the house! Cold really affects her these days. Whereas my dad and I were wearing T-shirts!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by bun)
    Without wanting to turn this into the monty python Yorkshiremen sketch, you should try living with my dad! We only had the heating on twice last year, and that was because he was running a DofE trip with school so mum was able to get her hands on the heating!
    It's funny though, grandparents come round for Christmas usually, and last year Grandma kept her coat on the whole time she was in the house! Cold really affects her these days. Whereas my dad and I were wearing T-shirts!
    Wow I couldn't bear that My parents wear coats in the house quite often too, and like me they really hate the cold, especially my dad, he'd live in a tropical climate if he could, but they manage to survive with the coats solution somehow which I find really hard. Although they've finally decided to put the heating on tonight so I'm warm now
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Isn't the Tory policy to stick a jumper on?
    I thought it was to burn the poor?

I love winter though, already planning christmas parties.

Anyway, anyone picked up the new pokemon? Got it on Wednesday (Well, got on release day but it was in my DS that got stolen during a break in 2 weeks back) and it is great thus far. Loving that the fossils this time are actual dinosaurs - about time.

ReputationRep:
    Rt. Hon. Jack Straw MP is retiring at the next election.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-24673662

ReputationRep:
    Jack Straw to retire as Labour MP for Blackburn at the next election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin)
    Jack Straw to retire as Labour MP for Blackburn at the next election.
    Beat you, just!

Haha unfortunately they seem to have taken that on board because it's what they're always telling me to do :rolleyes: Luckily they usually tighten their act up when it gets really cold by finally turning it on, but in the early winter months it gets pretty cold in here. My technique is exercise to keep warm, I'll be damned if I'm wearing a jumper indoors.

My Grandma carries a hot water bottle upon her person when she is in the house.

ReputationRep:
    Got my first American Football match of the season tomorrow, wish me luck!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    I think you mean Wuss Rugby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    I think you mean Wuss Rugby
    I play both, I have no time for sport chauvinism They're both as physical, but I get to smash people harder in American Football!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Good luck, C_M!

How many sports do you play? I am pretty sure you practice martial arts as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittiara)
    Good luck, C_M!

How many sports do you play? I am pretty sure you practice martial arts as well?
    I play American Football, Rugby Union, and futsal; I've done martial arts in the past, but you're probably thinking of miser here!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I play American Football, Rugby Union, and futsal; I've done martial arts in the past, but you're probably thinking of miser here!
    Ah, of course! Must be confused with miser mentioning martial arts .

You're both so active, though. Makes me feel rather lazy. I should get back into sports.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, of course! Must be confused with miser mentioning martial arts .

You're both so active, though. Makes me feel rather lazy. I should get back into sports.
    Aye, I find that uni is a great environment to get involved in new sports, I literally just went to the taster for American football, had no idea what the rules were but now i'm in the first team so something must be going right
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Aye, I find that uni is a great environment to get involved in new sports, I literally just went to the taster for American football, had no idea what the rules were but now i'm in the first team so something must be going right
    That's impressive! And yeah, you don't get that as an Open Uni student! Which is a shame. The only exercise I get through that is keeping up with the emails from my tutor, who is highly enthusiastic and passionate about his subject .

ReputationRep:
    HEY!!!!!!! HALLLELLEEEULEUAAA!!!!! I WANNNNNNNA KNOOOQOQQWWWWW WOOOO_AAAHAAHHHHH???!?!?!!!??? WILL CHA BE ME GALLLLLL? HEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!! HEEYEYEY BAAAAABEEE!?! ((((OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! IIII WANNNNNa KNOWWW WOAHHHHHHH - will cha by my guuuyyyyyyyyyy???? : : : D:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    HEY!!!!!!! HALLLELLEEEULEUAAA!!!!! I WANNNNNNNA KNOOOQOQQWWWWW WOOOO_AAAHAAHHHHH???!?!?!!!??? WILL CHA BE ME GALLLLLL? HEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!! HEEYEYEY BAAAAABEEE!?! ((((OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! IIII WANNNNNa KNOWWW WOAHHHHHHH - will cha by my guuuyyyyyyyyyy???? : : : D:
    Good night out, then?

ReputationRep:
    Good night out, then?
    Yes, LOOOOOOOL! You too, or you just have some other reaso n to be onlone at nigh on 4AM?

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.