Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I can't see that taking 3 days and there's a danger you over prepare/rehearse your answers.

Yes have a think about where/when you have really tested or developed those competencies, but if this results in your writing down scripts of what you are saying you are going OTT and trust me, it won't go well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah cool, are firms inclined to only ask about about the key competencies that they state they actively look for or can they ask about absolutely anything?

Also, preparing for case study interviews isn't particularly recommended right?

Thanks for all the advice so far! (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidioteque)
    I'd interpret the first question as asking for a more general overview of the skills that would make you a good fit for any commercial law firm (teamwork, communication skills, problem solving, commercial awareness, etc).

The second question seems to be asking why you'd suit Bird & Bird specifically. They're a firm that comes across as quite quirky, so perhaps consider some of the things that are unique about them and talk about how you are aligned to those quirks.

I could be completely wrong, but that's how I'd approach it I think.
    Thank you! It is always excellent to get an alternative perspective
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defragmentation)
    Ah cool, are firms inclined to only ask about about the key competencies that they state they actively look for or can they ask about absolutely anything?

Also, preparing for case study interviews isn't particularly recommended right?

Thanks for all the advice so far! (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No they could ask anything, especially if they think something might be missing or overly evident from your application.

But ultimately most questions would be around typical competencies. But even with competencies, you can't work out specifically what they will ask you. There's probably 15+ different questions someone could ask to test team working alone.

It's not that it's not recommended, just generally because you can't prepare. You get preparation time for it before you are formally assessed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Actually really nervous about competency questions, they seem so artificial :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Are the 'tours of the office and coffee with a current trainee' a factor which feed into the decision making process?

(Especially for firms which may just conduct 1 30/40 minute interview.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liarpoker)
    Are the 'tours of the office and coffee with a current trainee' a factor which feed into the decision making process?

(Especially for firms which may just conduct 1 30/40 minute interview.
    No. Unless you are rude/obnoxious/arrogant to those you meet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know with word counts whether applications cut you off at the word count - once you save it? The reason I ask is that my laptop counts words differently for some reason and doesn't always provide the correct word count.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If it's an online application form, then usually, yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    If it's an online application form, then usually, yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have - it was fairly straightforward, if a little bit unsettling due to the interviewer's manner.

I got asked the standard questions (why commercial law?; why Hogan Lovells?) followed by some competency questions. I don't remember all the competencies I was asked about, but one was definitely "overcoming obstacles", which I found a bit tricky. Finally they tested commercial awareness with a question about current affairs - mine was regarding the Ukraine crisis.

All the best and let me know if you have any further questions - I'll do my best to help
    Thanks, that's incredibly helpful! A massive congratulations on your offer from them as well, I'll definitely message you again if I have further queries

ReputationRep:
    Offer from Hogan Lovells!
    Congrats mate :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hugo grotius)
    No, sorry. I would have been happy to answer a few general questions but I'm not going to sit here and type out every question they asked.
    Oh! All done now, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    How long does it take to hear back from freshfields roughly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by givemegoodnews)
    I'm wondering this too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chianti1)
    I'm wondering this too.
    I think they tend to be fairly quick, within a week or two

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyWoccy)
    I think they tend to be fairly quick, within a week or two
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chianti1)
    I'm wondering this too.
    I completed the verbal reasoning test and was invited to interview around a week or so after, hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcrlawstudent)
    I completed the verbal reasoning test and was invited to interview around a week or so after, hope this helps.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcrlawstudent)
    Thanks, that's a great help. When did you submit your application?

ReputationRep:
    They are usually quick, however do bear in mind that they might be a bit slow given they have probably received 2000 applications.

Put into perspective, since they say they read ALL applications, let's assume they spend a maximum of 20 mins per application. This brings us to a total of around 40,000 mins which is 666.7 hours or 27.8 days total spent merely reading applications. Obviously this is split amongst a team of recruiters, but my point is do not expect them to be extraordinarily fast.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.