Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    People saying of two more players of £ 30 mil+...

we've already spent around £45 mil
    We've only got another £50 mil max....(there may be more, but highly doubt wenger would spend all the money in one go!)

I think he'll go for one more really good player, and then the rest on loan, cheap buys, under-21's....or leaves spaces blank?? (or use some of the under-21 players)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moey3)
    People saying of two more players of £ 30 mil+...

we've already spent around £45 mil
    We've only got another £50 mil max....(there may be more, but highly doubt wenger would spend all the money in one go!)

I think he'll go for one more really good player, and then the rest on loan, cheap buys, under-21's....or leaves spaces blank?? (or use some of the under-21 players)
    No, we've spent around £40m and taken £12m for Vela, got an unexpected £5m windfall from Barca for Cesc, sold Djourou to HSV for £3m, and also cleared loads from the wage bill trough Djourou, Fabianski, Sagna, Bendtner etc.

So I make it a £20m net spend when we had cash reserves of roughly £150m at last count(probably closer to £170m these days given FA Cup prize money and natural accumulation since last count etc). And this was just savings, we also have the regular revenue streams that most clubs spend every year that we just dont typically. Including the £50m additional from Puma/Emirates which is just starting to come in every year and new TV deal money which every PL club receives.

In other words, the spending so far is potentially the tip of the iceberg. Which is not to say Wenger will continue signing £30m+ players this window, but he definitely can. I would estimate that Wenger could drop another £130m easily before even having to look nervously at the ATM balance. If we really fancied it, another £150m in not out of the question at all.

What will AW actually do? Probably what you've said. Another big name player for £35m-£45m, either at CM or ST, a young promising CB from Ligue 1, and a GK for £5m or so or even on loan again.

ReputationRep:
    You see how Lahm retired... with grace and to allow the next generation through... then you have England players trying make it to 300 caps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    You see how Lahm retired... with grace and to allow the next generation through... then you have England players trying make it to 300 caps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Or maybe he retired because he won the WC and thought he can afford to. England players don't have that luxury so need to play on until either the WC or Euros is won, which is never. So they play on and on in the hope that in two years it'll be their turn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how much Arteta could be sold for, and what club would buy him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    I wonder how much Arteta could be sold for, and what club would buy him
    £4m probably, either to a PL club like Swansea or even back to Everton these days. Alternatively to a mid-table La Liga side, he's from Sociedad?

Arteta has no interest in leaving Arsenal though for obvious reasons. Spent his whole career at average clubs and probably just wants to stay at a big club for as long as possible. He's not even a bad squad player, just not up to being our holding player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    £4m probably, either to a PL club like Swansea or even back to Everton these days. Alternatively to a mid-table La Liga side, he's from Sociedad?

Arteta has no interest in leaving Arsenal though for obvious reasons. Spent his whole career at average clubs and probably just wants to stay at a big club for as long as possible. He's not even a bad squad player, just not up to being our holding player.
    It is silly to play him too deep in the midfield because of his obvious lack of pace and power. Would not do too badly in an advanced central midfield position. However, because of the amount of competition for that position, it's bad luck for Arteta. He is not up to our standards. So effectively, he has one foot out of the door, we have no space for him. And I would play Rosicky over him anyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    Or maybe he retired because he won the WC and thought he can afford to. England players don't have that luxury so need to play on until either the WC or Euros is won, which is never. So they play on and on in the hope that in two years it'll be their turn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I guess then they'll be playing well into their 30's I can't see it being won any time soon. It's between Germany and Spain as of now (I'm speaking in terms of the Euro 2016).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.Almasy)
    It is silly to play him too deep in the midfield because of his obvious lack of pace and power. Would not do too badly in an advanced central midfield position. However, because of the amount of competition for that position, it's bad luck for Arteta. He is not up to our standards. So effectively, he has one foot out of the door, we have no space for him. And I would play Rosicky over him anyday.
    Agreed. Rosicky is so much more energetic too..

I don't think CDM is Arteta's 'natural' role either so to speak. For Everton he played the number 10 role didn't he? He is a really good player, very tactical - but the problem is that he's now aging & his pace shows that

ReputationRep:
    looks like real life football is turning into FIFA.

pace and power ftw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    looks like real life football is turning into FIFA.

pace and power ftw.
    Michael owen. Is that you?

ReputationRep:
    Who has Fifa 14 and ps4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.Almasy)
    No point playing him in advanced role now. Can barely take a player on with his lack of pace, not a goal threat, rarely dribbles or makes a final pass. He's a good squad player as said, can certainly dictate games much better against your West Ham's and what have you.

ReputationRep:
    Best ever disallowed goal?
    http://youtu.be/YUL3lNbeq1M

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Goal say we're in for scnheiderlin
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather Carl go to West Ham on loan rather than selling him permanently, he would get valuable game time and experience there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Michael owen. Is that you?
    loool is that what owen said?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    No, we've spent around £40m and taken £12m for Vela, got an unexpected £5m windfall from Barca for Cesc, sold Djourou to HSV for £3m, and also cleared loads from the wage bill trough Djourou, Fabianski, Sagna, Bendtner etc.

So I make it a £20m net spend when we had cash reserves of roughly £150m at last count(probably closer to £170m these days given FA Cup prize money and natural accumulation since last count etc). And this was just savings, we also have the regular revenue streams that most clubs spend every year that we just dont typically. Including the £50m additional from Puma/Emirates which is just starting to come in every year and new TV deal money which every PL club receives.

In other words, the spending so far is potentially the tip of the iceberg. Which is not to say Wenger will continue signing £30m+ players this window, but he definitely can. I would estimate that Wenger could drop another £130m easily before even having to look nervously at the ATM balance. If we really fancied it, another £150m in not out of the question at all.

What will AW actually do? Probably what you've said. Another big name player for £35m-£45m, either at CM or ST, a young promising CB from Ligue 1, and a GK for £5m or so or even on loan again.
    Wenger spending £90-£100m in one window?
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if Borehamwood v Arsenal game is going to be televised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Anyone know if Borehamwood v Arsenal game is going to be televised?
    I don't think so. Will probably be on the Arsenal Player a couple hours after though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.