Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    Anyone else feeling REALLY behind on SW stuff?

I have my CV fully sorted after taking it to a SW CV panel at uni but I'm yet to start any cover letters because I just don't know enough about what I need to talk about and the layout etc.
    Theres loads of SW help at uni coming up but I feel like its all too late because everyone on here seems to have sent off loads of applications already. Ive spoken to a couple of second years who did spring weeks and they all said to wait until late october/early november before applying to get all the help you can from uni but I just feel like its way too late
    I'm doing the same thing for the reasons mentioned above. After speaking to people at uni, they didn't send them off until closer to November and some in December. I want to ensure I send off a strong application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itssimplyme)
    I'm doing the same thing for the reasons mentioned above. After speaking to people at uni, they didn't send them off until closer to November and some in December. I want to ensure I send off a strong application!
    Okay great. This makes me feel better

I dont understand why theres such an obsession with sending off applications as early as possible on TSR then :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    Okay great. This makes me feel better

I dont understand why theres such an obsession with sending off applications as early as possible on TSR then :confused:
    Starting early will alleviate the pressures of applications conflicting with university work.

Sent of 2, whilst I have anohter 9 ready to be submitted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonynous)
    Starting early will alleviate the pressures of applications conflicting with university work.

Sent of 2, whilst I have anohter 9 ready to be submitted.
    yep, by far probably the main reason, from mid October onwards workload starts rising assuming someone is studying a rigorous course, send off many before that when you have had more free time for cls. Where you sent off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    yep, by far probably the main reason, from mid October onwards workload starts rising assuming someone is studying a rigorous course, send off many before that when you have had more free time for cls. Where you sent off?
    roths and pwc

ReputationRep:
    Lawlz. Just stumbled across this thread. Only thing that is sorted is the CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itssimplyme)
    Too much work for me to send them off later. Especially if your on a Numerical/Science based course. The work goes up exponentially rather than a consisent hard work load.

Trying to get through these numericals fast, bombed one application (I think). Sent two. Going to send one more app, just to practice the numericals. Then aim for 3 more of the top tier firms and I'll be done by 15-20 October or so pre-exams.

It is not worth sacrificing your University grades and references for Banking Applications. Would rather get 1 Job Offer to a non-top tier bank (i.e. Goldman, Morgan Stanley, and get RBS instead), and finish with a high 2.1/1st than a top tier bank and awful grades. It's just unstrategic in the long run, and I've seen way to many friends and family, get a tier one bank then do poorly at school doing too many society things etc etc.

**From this mind-set sooner rather than later is best - outsource your apps and get help from friends for cover letters etc etc. Using the different societies and committee members comes in handy here.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS POST! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

I've just finished reading all the 56 pages of this thread which makes me somehow proud of myself and my motivation.
    I'm a first year student doing Econ and Stats at UCL looking forward to starting his first SW applications.

I've been to the UCL Careers Service twice for the ****ing short 15-minute sessions, got help with my CV, going to have another one on Tuesday, applied to many IB events targeted at UCL students with my old CV (I hope they'll accept me though).

Now, I want to do 3 things: research the banks, write covering letters and practice tests as much as possible (I'm an international student)

Do you have any advice on getting on to a fast start with those things? I'm really worried and scared and everything and I really want to get a SW offer from a big bank. I'm not gonna do anything else except study.

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    for a starter buy a numerical test prep package at JobTestPrep (theres a discount at canary wharfian) and start practising. Visiting banks presentations at your school, talking with the reps and doing some online research will do; concentrate more on researching the role and the industry.

ReputationRep:
    Freshers = no SW apps haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Szmessh)
    for a starter buy a numerical test prep package at JobTestPrep (theres a discount at canary wharfian) and start practising. Visiting banks presentations at your school, talking with the reps and doing some online research will do; concentrate more on researching the role and the industry.

Thanks mate!

How about the cover letters?

ReputationRep:
    There are tons of info on investment banking cover letters on the net, research how a good one is written. In a nutshell its a few paragraphs: why them, why you, motivation/prev exp, stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    There are tons of info on investment banking cover letters on the net, research how a good one is written. In a nutshell its a few paragraphs: why them, why you, motivation/prev exp, stuff like that.

Thanks man!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when Morgan Stanley send tests out after you apply?

ReputationRep:
    RBS logical test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    RBS logical test.
    How did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonynous)
    How did you find it?
    Haven't done it yet - just got sent the invite to do it this morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    Haven't done it yet - just got sent the invite to do it this morning.
    goodluck, those tests are difficult af. I failed RBS at A levels :/

ReputationRep:
    CS rejection. good starting lol

ReputationRep:
    CS rejection. good starting lol
    For IB, we need to get used to it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.