Gonville and Caius College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants Watch

MrMorris
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Crazy_emz)
I can't find any photos of just my room from first year...but I've seen what's presumably the same pic of a double room, so just imagine it with a single bed instead, they haven't changed much.

And yes, you will have a kitchen (although minus most of the features you might expect of a kitchen, such as hobs and ovens...), shared between 6 or 7.
OK, thanks
Chazzer66
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pensive)
Did they ask you for proof, or is this another part of the offer letter that I didn't read?
Unfortunately I think they did ask for proof I photocopied the student finance mailing iirc
Kidioteque
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey guys, prospective 2013 applicant here. Just wondered if I could clarify a couple of things about Caius:

1) Is the food really as bad as I've heard it is?
2) Are there really as many Tories as I've heard there are?

Cheers
Haz1248
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,

I'm a current third year at Caius

1. The food really isnt as bad as they say. It's improved a huge amount since I came, and some of it is really quite good. Of course there are things that you don't go to hall for, but I'd imagine that's the same in most colleges. The reason we have a bad reputation is from comparisons of our 'formal hall' with other colleges - our 'formal' is simply a second sitting of dinner with the same food and gowns. Our proper formals, Superhalls, have really good food and are generally a few times a term.

2. I've never been aware of any political affiliations in college! We get leaflets from the various student political societies, but those are University-wide.

Hope that helps, any more questions fire away!
Kidioteque
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Haz1248)
Hey,

I'm a current third year at Caius

1. The food really isnt as bad as they say. It's improved a huge amount since I came, and some of it is really quite good. Of course there are things that you don't go to hall for, but I'd imagine that's the same in most colleges. The reason we have a bad reputation is from comparisons of our 'formal hall' with other colleges - our 'formal' is simply a second sitting of dinner with the same food and gowns. Our proper formals, Superhalls, have really good food and are generally a few times a term.

2. I've never been aware of any political affiliations in college! We get leaflets from the various student political societies, but those are University-wide.

Hope that helps, any more questions fire away!
Fantastic, thank you ever so much. Loving the look of Caius at the moment - just on a general note, have you enjoyed your time there? Best things and worst things?
Smithy94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What's the atmosphere like at Caius? Friendly? Or is there a bit of elitism?

Also, is it true that it's full of Tories or is that just another Cambridge myth?
JJBSussat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey guys. I'm Bruno - current first year rep and I'll be the freshers' rep for the new intake in 2012. Im a first year engineer and will be organising all of your first term events - especially Freshers' Week! Join the fb page to be up to date on everything. http://www.facebook.com/groups/201914753230679/
DrCube
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wonder if the two things that everyone hears about Caius will ever be anything other than: "The food's rubbish" and "It's full of Tories".
Kwak
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
thompa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JJBSussat)
Hey guys. I'm Bruno - current first year rep and I'll be the freshers' rep for the new intake in 2012. Im a first year engineer and will be organising all of your first term events - especially Freshers' Week! Join the fb page to be up to date on everything. http://www.facebook.com/groups/201914753230679/
Hi Bruno,

I am the parent of a student who will be studying mml at Caius in 2013.We are a working class family and I am wondering if this will cause my son a problem at Cambridge as money is tight.
Could you please give me details of the type of activities my son can expect during his first year,especially freshers week.
Thanks

Gary
ArchedEdge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by thompa)
Hi Bruno,

I am the parent of a student who will be studying mml at Caius in 2013.We are a working class family and I am wondering if this will cause my son a problem at Cambridge as money is tight.
Could you please give me details of the type of activities my son can expect during his first year,especially freshers week.
Thanks

Gary
Cambridge is like any other university in terms of spending, and in fact Cambridge bursaries are more extensive than some at other universities - and most students at Cambridge and Caius are legible to apply for a bursary in some shape or form. You'll receive information about this closer to the time.

Extra costs on top of the usual food, drink, clothes etc are likely to come from:

Buying a gown: £45, can be bought 2nd hand but not easy to come by

Book costs: Normally you can rely heavily on the library, MML shouldn't pose much of a problem

Dinners: Formal dinners etc at Caius are cheap, but at other colleges they can be pricier, but you don't have to go to them and you don't go to that many in a term regardless. (£8-11 each time)

Club/Union membership: If a student wants to join a sports club or other groups like the debating Union, there'll be a termly or year fee which varies dependent on the club. The Union is more expensive but when you see the names of people they get in do to talks it's more than worth it.

Ball/Event tickets: Balls and formal events are common in Cambridge, and again they're all out of choice, and range in price. May Balls at the end of an academic year cost £140, but last from 9pm to 6am and provide first class food, drink and entertainment. There are other events throughout the year like Winter Balls and Spring Balls etc, and are normally cheaper around the £60 or even less - same sort of format.

While there are parts of Cambridge which can definitely add to the bills, taking into consideration it's only 3 short terms a year (8-10 weeks), and there are practically NO transport costs, money shouldn't be an issue if you take advantage of the many bursaries on offer.

Hope that helps!
thompa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ArchedEdge)
Cambridge is like any other university in terms of spending, and in fact Cambridge bursaries are more extensive than some at other universities - and most students at Cambridge and Caius are legible to apply for a bursary in some shape or form. You'll receive information about this closer to the time.

Extra costs on top of the usual food, drink, clothes etc are likely to come from:

Buying a gown: £45, can be bought 2nd hand but not easy to come by

Book costs: Normally you can rely heavily on the library, MML shouldn't pose much of a problem

Dinners: Formal dinners etc at Caius are cheap, but at other colleges they can be pricier, but you don't have to go to them and you don't go to that many in a term regardless. (£8-11 each time)

Club/Union membership: If a student wants to join a sports club or other groups like the debating Union, there'll be a termly or year fee which varies dependent on the club. The Union is more expensive but when you see the names of people they get in do to talks it's more than worth it.

Ball/Event tickets: Balls and formal events are common in Cambridge, and again they're all out of choice, and range in price. May Balls at the end of an academic year cost £140, but last from 9pm to 6am and provide first class food, drink and entertainment. There are other events throughout the year like Winter Balls and Spring Balls etc, and are normally cheaper around the £60 or even less - same sort of format.

While there are parts of Cambridge which can definitely add to the bills, taking into consideration it's only 3 short terms a year (8-10 weeks), and there are practically NO transport costs, money shouldn't be an issue if you take advantage of the many bursaries on offer.

Hope that helps!
Thanks so much for the info.
What type of things normally take place during freshers week?

Thanks again
Gary
ArchedEdge
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks so much for the info.
What type of things normally take place during freshers week?

Thanks again
Gary
Attached a copy of the 2011 schedule - it will see vague changes for next year as college are pushing for removal of club events from the schedule, but they're still taking place, just not advertised as openly.

Also there will be workshops about essays/working at Cambridge I believe.
Attached files
thompa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ArchedEdge)
Attached a copy of the 2011 schedule - it will see vague changes for next year as college are pushing for removal of club events from the schedule, but they're still taking place, just not advertised as openly.

Also there will be workshops about essays/working at Cambridge I believe.
Wow, you have been extremely helpfull..
thankyou so much
Pensive
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anyone know what the current first-year accommodation prices are? Trying to work out what my weekly budget might be.
ArchedEdge
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pensive)
Anyone know what the current first-year accommodation prices are? Trying to work out what my weekly budget might be.
Around £1100 for the term.
Smithy94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've read that the college encourages everyone to dine in hall, however from pictures it looks like the hall isn't nearly big enough to seat everyone. So how does that work? Is it deceptively big or are there separate sittings?
Blaah Blaah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Smithy94)
I've read that the college encourages everyone to dine in hall, however from pictures it looks like the hall isn't nearly big enough to seat everyone. So how does that work? Is it deceptively big or are there separate sittings?
There's 2 sittings a night, with informal seating 208 people and formal (identical but with gowns over whatever you're wearing) seating 172. And Saturdays are a single cafeteria hall with 250 places.

Anyway that works out at 380 places a night, for 475 undergraduate and 230 graduate students. That's enough because we don't have to eat in hall every night. Undergraduates have tickets for around 40 nights a term (so about 5 nights a week), and graduates only have 15-20 (IIRC). We book into hall in advance and there's nearly always space (I think twice this year I've tried to book at the last minute, when there was a good dessert, and found it was full).

So there's plenty of room.
thompa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi
My son has an offer for MML at Caius in 2013. ( a* a a )
He was pooled from Kings last year, he had a brief stay at Kings but as I have said the offer is for Caius.
He will complete his a levels shortly and then he is having a gap year.I am wondering if he will get the oppurtunity to view or stay at Caius prior to 2013.
Anyone got any comments for my queries?

Thanks
Gary
Blaah Blaah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi
My son has an offer for MML at Caius in 2013. ( a* a a )
He was pooled from Kings last year, he had a brief stay at Kings but as I have said the offer is for Caius.
He will complete his a levels shortly and then he is having a gap year.I am wondering if he will get the oppurtunity to view or stay at Caius prior to 2013.
Anyone got any comments for my queries?

Thanks
Gary
I applied to Robinson and was pooled to Caius, so I'd never seen Caius (or most of Cambridge) when I got an offer. I visited Cambridge for a week during the Easter holidays of my last year at school, and while I wasn't staying at Caius I did manage to get a tour of it. I emailed the college (I believe it was the Senior Tutor's Assistant, who put me in touch with the porters) and they were happy to give me a tour of the first year accommodation, since all the students were also away on vacation.

The main college courts in the centre of town are open to the public every day from 9am - 2pm.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads