Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by omgwhat)
    I just moved to Board of Graduate Studies for the MPhil in World History! I am genuinely bouncing off the walls! I will post a profile and more information ASAP.
    What did I say? Many congratulations!! :party:

ReputationRep:
    of course, congratulations to all who are on course to being offered a place.

another question regarding the application: it asks me to name my "expected grade", but since I am from a university not following the UK system, am I supposed to try and convert my grade - or just put my German grade and assume they'll figure it out? (they'll see it's a german institution)

and another: on the page where it asks you to list prior education, it asks whether you have ever "worked on a research project" - just wondering because i might not familiar with uk academic parlance here - would a bachelor's thesis synthesizing various recent be a 'research project' if i've basically just worked with pre-existing literature? (and what about those excavations i've been working with as member of the team - without having any 'say', basically just been one of the 'diggers')

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm new here! I applied for MASt in Mathematical Statistics (tripos part III) and was wondering if any one else did so and heard back? Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    SUBMITTED. :evilbanana:

Now I must finish Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    What's the different stages of the application?

It says that I am "Under Consideration by Degree Committee".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royn)
    of course, congratulations to all who are on course to being offered a place.

another question regarding the application: it asks me to name my "expected grade", but since I am from a university not following the UK system, am I supposed to try and convert my grade - or just put my German grade and assume they'll figure it out? (they'll see it's a german institution)

and another: on the page where it asks you to list prior education, it asks whether you have ever "worked on a research project" - just wondering because i might not familiar with uk academic parlance here - would a bachelor's thesis synthesizing various recent be a 'research project' if i've basically just worked with pre-existing literature? (and what about those excavations i've been working with as member of the team - without having any 'say', basically just been one of the 'diggers'
    I put my grades as they appear on my transcripts, and added a percentage into brackets for the application panel.

I mentioned all my these (BA's and MA's) and other academic projects I've worked on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I put my grades as they appear on my transcripts, and added a percentage into brackets for the application panel.

I mentioned all my these (BA's and MA's) and other academic projects I've worked on.
    thank you josb, sounds like a sensible thing to do - and frees up space in the part where i talk about my reasons for applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    What's the different stages of the application?

It says that I am "Under Consideration by Degree Committee".
    http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/...ess_chart1.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I'm already in stage 2. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Thanks. I'm already in stage 2. :eek:
    I moved to Under Consideration by Degree Committee a few hours after I was Awaiting Consideration by Department, on the day I got my camsis account. That was in November...

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I applied for the MPhil in Applied and Theoretical Linguistics before the December deadline. Two or three days ago (19 Jan), my application status changed to Degree Committee and just now it changed to Board of Graduate Studies. Am I right to assume this is just a formality and I can expect an offer soon?

Background info: EU student, currently 4th year MML at Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsukurutazaki)
    Congratulations!
    Thanks very much! I'm so happy and excited. I can't wait to find out stuff about colleges but that's all to come!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    YES! Wow, what a roller coaster of a process!

Congrats!
    I know right? I had originally applied in November and it's so weird that I waited 7 weeks and got a rejection and at that moment I thought, "Well, that's that then!"

I can't believe that I did the application process again and got the complete opposite result, and so quickly too! :O YAY. Did you say there was a FB group for offer holders?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ggggg123)
    YAY!!!!!!! Congrats!!!! I'm thrilled for you
    THANKS! Such good news for us both this week! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    What did I say? Many congratulations!! :party:
    You were right all along! Thanks for all the support and good luck for everything!

ReputationRep:
    I always have a question in mind.

Cambridge allows you to apply more than one course. Does anyone have ever able to hold more than one offer and cherry pick later?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royn)
    thank you josb, sounds like a sensible thing to do - and frees up space in the part where i talk about my reasons for applying.
    I also applied for an Archaeology MPhil (I'm international though, not EU). I included academic experience in labs, on excavation, and in class. I haven't done a ton, but I included what I have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MphilEF)

Cambridge allows you to apply more than one course. Does anyone have ever able to hold more than one offer and cherry pick later?
    It's happened before. I have heard both of cases where someone simultaneously holds 2 offers, and where the person has been told they will need to decline their existing offer to be made another - not sure why the difference, possibly different department policies. But yes, you can certainly get more than one offer in an application cycle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MphilEF)

Yes. If you receive multiple offers you'd need to select one and decline the others.

ReputationRep:
    I know right? I had originally applied in November and it's so weird that I waited 7 weeks and got a rejection and at that moment I thought, "Well, that's that then!"
    Ouch! So glad it worked out well though . Have you applied for funding and if so, will the fact that you applied twice have an effect?

I can't believe that I did the application process again and got the complete opposite result, and so quickly too! :O YAY. Did you say there was a FB group for offer holders?
    I'm not sure if there is one for offer holders but I remember someone stating earlier in this thread that there was one for applicants. I haven't joined that group yet as my employer does not know I'll be leaving at the beginning of summer and I'd like to keep it anonymous until then (need the bonus for tuition fees! )

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.