Turn on thread page Beta

The Cricket Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Don't see SL having any chance of getting back in this game, but hopefully they can show some fight and resilience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else find it ridiculous that Sri Lanka get three test matches, and the likes of New Zealand, who are clearly the better test team, only get two?

I'd much rather see Williamson, Taylor, Boult and Southee rather than a Sri Lankan team lacking Sangakkara/Jayawardene who have basically carried the team these past years.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A really good start to the T20 Blast last night.

From a Bears fan's perspective, it was good to see them emerge victorious. But that knock for Worcestershire was remarkable - and a record-breaking ton at this stage of the tournament bodes well.

Obviously, the ECB has some way to go to make the tournament as popular as the Big Bash and the IPL, but I think next season's changes with the specific block will help that.

As for now, it's just good to see white ball cricket drawing the crowds. There's plenty of good talent set to be on show, too: Gayle, McCullum, Steyn et al.

ReputationRep:
    Sri lanka are not going to survive in England, they are getting outdone left right and centre and the natwest t20 blast what a win for Surrey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oceansiz3)
    Anyone else find it ridiculous that Sri Lanka get three test matches, and the likes of New Zealand, who are clearly the better test team, only get two?

I'd much rather see Williamson, Taylor, Boult and Southee rather than a Sri Lankan team lacking Sangakkara/Jayawardene who have basically carried the team these past years.
    Completely agree. The England vs NZ series last May was excellent and exciting. A third test is what was required, but it didn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    Completely agree. The England vs NZ series last May was excellent and exciting. A third test is what was required, but it didn't happen.
    Any idea as to why New Zealand only get two? Surely, it must be a financial thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oceansiz3)
    Any idea as to why New Zealand only get two? Surely, it must be a financial thing.
    I guess so, and possibly because the Ashes was later in the summer, they didn't want a long test series beforehand? The last time SL came to England, they only had a 2 test match series, so not really sure why they are playing a full test series this time round.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Game over - and guess what? Hales and Bairstow would have won by an innings all by themselves. Remarkable feat, really.

It was good to put it to bed today - because, by all accounts, there's more bad weather scheduled for tomorrow. It was fitting, too, that Anderson sealed the deal with that final wicket because he has been magnificent in this Test. He has really put his Headingley demons to bed, in some style.

I wouldn't have given him man of the match, despite his incredible return of wickets. Bairstow caught catch after catch, and I think only ABDV has a higher figure in one Test match. His glovework was exceptional. He put down a really tough chance today, when SL were two wickets down, but he was on home turf and proved he has the potential to be a really good keeper for England.

His batting was imperious in England's innings, and he seemed the only batsman (bar Hales) out of the 22 men on the field to be comfortable with the surroundings, pitch and bowling. That must be the benefit of playing on home turf, I guess. His family will take great pride in his performance - and it was clearly an emotional moment for him. He deserves it.

Mendis inconvenienced England slightly today, but his manner of dismissal was significant and indicative of SL's current squad. He gave his wicket away after threatening to spend a while digging his team out of trouble. SL's tail enders were an absolute joke with the bat, too. Finn cleared them up after tea, and they were giving England's slips, mid-ons and mid-offs absolutely dollies of catches.

I'd like to give England some credit for finally utilising Moeen correctly, too. It was great to see him chip in with a wicket because his batting has been so poor, and he's fielded in some inconvenient positions. It all reeks of England - and Cook - not knowing what to do with his talent. I think they see him as an everyman, a Jack of all trades, which is a shame. He can be so much more than that.

SL were always going to find it tough in those conditions to keep England's seam attack at bay - and they couldn't manage it, perhaps unsurprisingly. The only negative from an England standpoint is the injury to Stokes, who is by all accounts now likely to miss the second Test. A real shame for him, after the disappointment in this Test with bat and ball, and the World Twenty20 final hangover he's no doubt still got in the back of his mind.

ReputationRep:
    What on earth is Steven Finn doing with that haircut? It is awful and cannot help his bowling.

ReputationRep:
    Think we need to stop playing test till July. Jimmy and stu are unfair at this time of the year. I'm struggling to remember the last time a home test went to the final day.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A shame for Cook that he didn't get the record during this Test, really. It would have put to bed the talk, and probably settled him down for the rest of the summer. Still, he seemed a happy man on TMS post-match - and rightly so. That's a heck of a victory for his side. I think he'll be disappointed if England lose a Test to SL. They may not get a whitewash, thanks to the weather, but they definitely shouldn't be losing over five days to them.

ReputationRep:
    SL folded inside two days if you look at the number of overs bowled. It just shows the gap between the two sides.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    All eyes back to the County Championship this weekend, after the heights of Headingley.

I can't imagine there'll be much interest, especially given the IPL is drawing to a conclusion and ge T20
    Blast has just started domestically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    All eyes back to the County Championship this weekend, after the heights of Headingley.

I can't imagine there'll be much interest, especially given the IPL is drawing to a conclusion and ge T20
    Blast has just started domestically.
    Sadly you may be right. Surrey doing badly at the real Old Trafford.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's how you dismiss Sangakkara.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Horrible day for Surrey - bowled out for 191 against Lancashire.

Sangakkara out for nought, and Jarvis takes six wickets. Rory Burns is the last man out for Surrey, lbw to Neil Wagner for 92.

Elsewhere, Somerset are in control against Middlesex at Lord's. It was their day, with Rogers racking up a 74th first class hundred. He ends on 104 not out.

From a Warwickshire standpoint, Andrew Umeed has achieved a century on debut - he he ruins it two balls later by getting out! Poor guy. He's only 20, though. What a talent.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my days what a poor batting display on a hard batting surface for surrey

ReputationRep:
    lets hope tom curran and pilians and meaker take early wickets and put lancs under pressure, they secured 0 batting points
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Be interesting to see what England do now Stokes has been ruled out of the Durham Test.

It's obvious Ball will get the nod, but with Vince and Root capable of bowling, I'd be tempted to pick another batsman rather than move Bairstow up a place.

Of course, with his experience, they could opt for Woakes to come in rather than give Ball his debut. But that would be unwise, to be honest. Woakes is a fine County Championship bowler with the red ball, but he lacks the brilliance to impose himself on the international/Test scene.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Cricket.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  444.0 KB

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.