Posted from TSR Mobile
    TMS = the reference peak which other peaks are compared to
    D20 just removes the OH and NH peaks because they undergo proton exchange
    CdCl3 just prevents a peak from showing on the nmr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    Can someone simply explain tms, cdcl3 and d2o ple

Posted from TSR Mobile
    TMS is used as a standard for the chemical shift measurements - it has 12 hydrogens in one environment so produces one peak at 0ppm.
    Cdcl3 and D2O are deuterated solvents so the D is basically an isotope of H that is H2 as opposed to H1. NMR only produces peaks when there is an odd number of nucleons, so the D of the deuterated solvent exchanges with the H of OH/NH2 (labile protons) so the peaks for the OH and NH groups no longer show up. You can compare the spectras with and without D2O to see where the peaks for OH/NH2 are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RetroSpectro)
    Nitrile into a carboxylic acid
    Do we need to know this..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AqsaMx)
    Do we need to know this..?
    No

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Snapchat-3626287179591686856.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  200.9 KB why does N02 have to be in that position (highlighter one) and not the one i drew in pen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PensAndPaper)
Size:  200.9 KB why does N02 have to be in that position (highlighter one) and not the one i drew in pen
    You have to nitrate the correct carbon so you get the correct product at the end of the series of reactions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angryafrican822)
    You have to nitrate the correct carbon so you get the correct product at the end of the series of reactions
    Haha ohh yeah durrr sorry was over complicating it. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PensAndPaper)
    It won't matter - that's just how the write it on the mark scheme as it's the most common position people will put it in.
    As long as the other structures you do after it make sure it doesn't change position it's fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angryafrican822)
    Because if you look at the resulting azo dye from the reaction (Sudan II), the nitro group must have to be at this position on the ring to form this specific compound

ReputationRep:
    who's ready for F324 tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    guys forming estee requires conc acid and reflux, does it need to be hot?
    also alkaline hydrolysis of ester doesnt need water just aq Alkaline right

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)
    guys forming estee requires conc acid and reflux, does it need to be hot?
    also alkaline hydrolysis of ester doesnt need water just aq Alkaline right

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think reflux in its self would describe temp because its the continual boiling and yeah just NaOH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcameron)
    It won't matter - that's just how the write it on the mark scheme as it's the most common position people will put it in.
    As long as the other structures you do after it make sure it doesn't change position it's fine
    The NO2 group has to be on the highlighted carbon because if you look at the final product (Sudan II), the diazo group (N=N) forms at that carbon in the azo dye.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  489.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcameron)
    Sorry I didn't show the whole picture, the product was shown at the end so I should have done retrosynthesis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)
    ok just to make sure lol so i understand, all peaks are in their correct position. but that one peak at 3.7 ppm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    i wish the exam was morning, what r i guys going to do tomorrow morning?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chioma97)
    According to the data sheet, around 6.5 -7.9 ppm.
    No not for hydrogen on benzene. I mean the peak for a proton attached to a carbon attached to a benzene ring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)
    i wish the exam was morning, what r i guys going to do tomorrow morning?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same. I'll just be going over reagents and conditions again for the 187294 time.

ReputationRep:
    You need to heat with tollens right?

ReputationRep:
    do we need to know how to make tollen's reagent??
    I've seen it on an old spec question

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.