Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

That feeling when I thought Bulgaria has a thin chance...

Oh well, at least it was an Eastern European brother :ahee:

Let's see what happens next year
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    That feeling when I thought Bulgaria has a thin chance...

Oh well, at least it was an Eastern European brother :ahee:

Let's see what happens next year
    You guys were ****ing robbed! Robbed I say! :mad:

I WANTED BULGARIA TO WIN SO BADLY! :cry:

Don't you think Poli looks like Cher Lloyd?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    https://youtu.be/aMgW54HBOS0

Stuck in my head.

ReputationRep:
    I got gassed when United Kingdom got to TheOtherSide :teehee: of the voting column then we eventualy found our place in second bottom

(Original post by Rhythmical)
    You guys were ****ing robbed! Robbed I say! :mad:

I WANTED BULGARIA TO WIN SO BADLY! :cry:

Don't you think Poli looks like Cher Lloyd?
    I know I know

:emo:

And no not really

(Original post by PQ)
    https://youtu.be/aMgW54HBOS0

Stuck in my head.
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

omds that was the real winner

ReputationRep:
    I saw something on tumblr which made me chuckle:

"Can my grades do a Poland in Eurovision 2016 and gain over 200 points in less than 5 minutes" :rofl:

"Know howwwwwwwwwwwww" :rofl:

I love Lynda...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Why should they have won? The guy was hot and it had lots of interesting gimmicks - but the song itself was decidedly meh. Tbh I don't see how this is any different to 2014 when Austria won because of a politically charged pro-LGBT song.
    It should have won because the song was good and catchy and they put a lot of effort into the staging. The singer being hot is irrelevant to me. It's totally different to how it was when Austria won because that was (in my opinion) entirely based on the fact it was a Transgender standing up and performing and the bravery associated with that than anything to do with the quality of the song of the effort put into the actual performance. I absolutely hated that song and if anyone else had sung it I don't doubt that it wouldn't have been anywhere near the top 10, let alone won.

If anything Ukraine winning because it was a serious song about war and related (I suppose) to the terrible things happening recently is more of a political vote once again, as opposed to letting the best damn song win. It isn't a memorable song and most of it wasn't in English (so most of us have no clue what she's singing half the time) which leads me to believe it's a politically motivated or even sympathetic vote.

(Original post by Katarvi)
    x
    Bulgaria should have won :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Trying to decide what's more important about Eurovision - a decent, likeable song or actually being from Europe... :/

ReputationRep:
    Bulgaria should have won :erm:
    I don't remember Bulgaria, what was their song?
    Why on earth was Romania not allowed to compete because of unpaid debts? I liked their song so much!

I don't remember Bulgaria, what was their song?
    Why on earth was Romania not allowed to compete because of unpaid debts? I liked their song so much!
    That dance one...If love was a crime?

Dai mi lyubovta?

ReputationRep:
    That dance one...If love was a crime?

Dai mi lyubovta?
    Ooooh yeah, I remember that one. It was super catchy!

Ooooh yeah, I remember that one. It was super catchy!
    Not catchy enough to win though :getmecoat:

That being said, I really liked the contest this year. It seemed less political than usual!

ReputationRep:
    Not catchy enough to win though :getmecoat:

That being said, I really liked the contest this year. It seemed less political than usual!
    Yes, I agree. Apart from the fact that the winning song was highly political, it helped that we did not see how the public from each country voted, as usually each country's population votes for their neighbours. In fact, last year a country was booed for giving points to Russia? I think it was.

ReputationRep:
    most of it wasn't in English (so most of us have no clue what she's singing half the time) which leads me to believe it's a politically motivated or even sympathetic vote.
    In crimean tartar she is singing the words of her great grandmother
    "I could not spend my youth there
    becasue hey took away my peace."

That is all of the ukrainian there is and I don't see it as political. The deportation happend to many other people in other places she makes no particular remark to any country. In the second verse in english she sings about hope and the future she talks about her personal story. tbh no one would be happy if Australia won becasue theyy would argue it's not in europe and if Russia won they would argue that they are anti LGTB so it's not safe for peope to go. Most of the non euro fans which is the bulk of them watching it won't even know the backstory. This is a sophisticated song that actually has a meaning and a purpose.

(Original post by CatusStarbright)
    Yes, I agree. Apart from the fact that the winning song was highly political, it helped that we did not see how the public from each country voted, as usually each country's population votes for their neighbours. In fact, last year a country was booed for giving points to Russia? I think it was.
    I just didn't want australia to win

ReputationRep:
    I just didn't want australia to win
    Haha same here. Why are they even in Eurovision??

(Original post by CatusStarbright)
    Haha same here. Why are they even in Eurovision??
    And then other people are like hur dur armenia and Israel shouldn't be in eurovision because they're not in Europe hurr durr.

The whole point is the country needs to be a member of the EBU.

Australia are on the other side of the world

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.