Chess games

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I didn't ask. I heard he may have played for (slightly) higher teams before, and indeed the way he talked about moves and the way he played he really didn't seem all that weak for someone on the G team or whatever it was..chess.com gives him like 21 average centipawn loss with a few inaccuracies and just one mistake (namely Bb3 hanging the e5 tactic). Well, Silman suggests that such online ratings may be inflated..
    You can probably just look up '[Name] ECF' to find his rating. Yeah I'm pretty sure too that online ratings are generally inflated (with lichess being straight up ridiculous). I think there's another D team match next Thursday so looking forward to that. Although I have to say I did not expect to have to work so hard to win my game with it being the lowest division team and all. Makes me wonder how good the A team is! But it all comes down to me having very little chess experience; I'll need to play far more frequently online if I want to get good, but for some reason I find it psychologically very difficult to play very often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    You can probably just look up '[Name] ECF' to find his rating. Yeah I'm pretty sure too that online ratings are generally inflated (with lichess being straight up ridiculous). I think there's another D team match next Thursday so looking forward to that. Although I have to say I did not expect to have to work so hard to win my game with it being the lowest division team and all. Makes me wonder how good the A team is! But it all comes down to me having very little chess experience; I'll need to play far more frequently online if I want to get good, but for some reason I find it psychologically very difficult to play very often.
    Aha, I find someone with the same name in Coventry Chess, so very likely right.. it says standard rating is 112D and previous rating is 126F...I have no idea what the letters mean. But just assuming 112 is his present rating, that gives 1540 if I recall the conversion right.
    Yeah to be quite frank I half expected my opponent would just hang pieces (well, I suppose Bb3 did hang a piece in a convoluted way, but I don't think it's conceited to say that that was not an easy tactic..), but on the other hand these are people who are interested enough in chess to join a team, so even it's a lower team, they're not gonna be diabolical, most likely.
    Since playing last Thursday I've had much less motivation to play online, partly because OTB feels so much more engaging, and it does indeed seem that I play more accurately in the OTB situation.

ReputationRep:
    Aha, I find someone with the same name in Coventry Chess, so very likely right.. it says standard rating is 112D and previous rating is 126F...I have no idea what the letters mean. But just assuming 112 is his present rating, that gives 1540 if I recall the conversion right.
    Yeah to be quite frank I half expected my opponent would just hang pieces (well, I suppose Bb3 did hang a piece in a convoluted way, but I don't think it's conceited to say that that was not an easy tactic..), but on the other hand these are people who are interested enough in chess to join a team, so even it's a lower team, they're not gonna be diabolical, most likely.
    Since playing last Thursday I've had much less motivation to play online, partly because OTB feels so much more engaging, and it does indeed seem that I play more accurately in the OTB situation.
    Oh fair enough that's a pretty decent rating. But yeah they can't be that bad since they are also quite experienced in matchplay on top of their interest in chess.

Yeah OTB is way more fun. And I love things like physically pressing the clock and moving the pieces lol. I'm gonna try to force myself to play online more though, since that's really the only way I can improve reasonably quickly (starting seriously at 18 is pretty damn late to try to get very good at chess...).

ReputationRep:
    Oh fair enough that's a pretty decent rating. But yeah they can't be that bad since they are also quite experienced in matchplay on top of their interest in chess.

Yeah OTB is way more fun. And I love things like physically pressing the clock and moving the pieces lol. I'm gonna try to force myself to play online more though, since that's really the only way I can improve reasonably quickly (starting seriously at 18 is pretty damn late to try to get very good at chess...).
    If I go by the 126 (not that we really can..) I beat a 1645, almost exactly my rapid rating on chess.com IIRC lol. It just makes me somewhat perplexed over how there are so many levels in between this sort of level and play and very top levels of play, because in general there is decent positional understanding, decent tactical understanding, decent opening knowledge, it would seem. I guess I am too weak to understand lel.

It is a lot better. I'm not so sure playing online will be that productive for me. I mean, I've played a lot of chess online since I was sixteen, and it hasn't done that much for me. I improved way more on online chess through attending like one chess session last year, for instance. infrequent OTB chess seems to do more for me than constant internet chess..

ReputationRep:
    If I go by the 126 (not that we really can..) I beat a 1645, almost exactly my rapid rating on chess.com IIRC lol. It just makes me somewhat perplexed over how there are so many levels in between this sort of level and play and very top levels of play, because in general there is decent positional understanding, decent tactical understanding, decent opening knowledge, it would seem. I guess I am too weak to understand lel.

It is a lot better. I'm not so sure playing online will be that productive for me. I mean, I've played a lot of chess online since I was sixteen, and it hasn't done that much for me. I improved way more on online chess through attending like one chess session last year, for instance. infrequent OTB chess seems to do more for me than constant internet chess..
    I think he is 112 officially: http://www.oxfordfusion.com/oca/GetP...s.cfm?pID=7723. There are a lot of different levels, you're right. It's probably to do with different strengths etc. So (not trying to brag here) in my game I played the opening and majority of the middlegame in virtually perfect accordance with the computer, suggesting I'm much better than the 1400-1500 FIDE level, but then the fact that I struggled to nicely convert the crushing positional advantage shows that I'm still not quite, say, 1700-1800 (I'd imagine such players would be able to finish a game more cleanly).

I was a bit worried that playing online is unproductive compared to OTB; that seems the be the general consensus. I don't really know why though, considering that you could take the same approach to online games as OTB games. But yeah I've found that OTB is both much more enjoyable and productive. I'd like to play more than every other day (lol) but for now I think it's good.

ReputationRep:
    I think he is 112 officially: http://www.oxfordfusion.com/oca/GetP...s.cfm?pID=7723. There are a lot of different levels, you're right. It's probably to do with different strengths etc. So (not trying to brag here) in my game I played the opening and majority of the middlegame in virtually perfect accordance with the computer, suggesting I'm much better than the 1400-1500 FIDE level, but then the fact that I struggled to nicely convert the crushing positional advantage shows that I'm still not quite, say, 1700-1800 (I'd imagine such players would be able to finish a game more cleanly).

I was a bit worried that playing online is unproductive compared to OTB; that seems the be the general consensus. I don't really know why though, considering that you could take the same approach to online games as OTB games. But yeah I've found that OTB is both much more enjoyable and productive. I'd like to play more than every other day (lol) but for now I think it's good.
    Hmm I guess the analogue for me is that my openings are average to mediocre (I tend not to think enough in them), my endgames (well, mainly the more common rook and pawn - for some reason I find myself playing much more accurately in minor piece endings) are pretty poor, while I play quite well in the middlegame. Additionally my strategic understanding is rather dependent on opening - although this may be less true for long games, I suppose. Certainly I floundered around on Saturday for instance when playing lines I hadn't seen before, i.e. I'm not good at planning unless I have a basic idea in place of what sort of thing I should generally be aiming for. But maybe I would be better with more time to think. Certainly yesterday's game was move-by-move thinking a lot of the time, but in such positions that isn't too much of a negative, and I always was considering things like square control and piece placement.

Well on the computer it's a lot easier to detach yourself from the process more. Moving the pieces yourself gives extra weight to your decisions. I don't feel that stupid when I blunder a pawn or whatever just moving a cursor on a screen, but if I do it OTB it is a much more visceral feeling lol. So I take more care and pay more attention.

ReputationRep:
    IrrationalRoot Those FIDE masters blunder a lot eh.

ReputationRep:
    a blunder can be a trap you know 13??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    a blunder can be a trap you know 13??
    Of course...but not in the context I am referring to

ReputationRep:
    Of course...but not in the context I am referring to
    how do you know? how do you know what is in a master's mind when he makes a move?

ReputationRep:
    how do you know? how do you know what is in a master's mind when he makes a move?
    lol perhaps I should not have made this comment on a public forum (it was in reference to something very specific).

ReputationRep:
    lol perhaps I should not have made this comment on a public forum (it was in reference to something very specific).
    okay dokey. i just got accepted for a personal loan you know?

ReputationRep:
    Chess is for nerds

ReputationRep:
    Ikr, I can't believe I won. It wasn't due to good play on my part that's for sure lol. Amazingly enough I did manage to remember almost the whole game; the computer actually thinks my dodgy opening was completely accurate until I started to doubt myself and try to lock up the queenside. Then there were a couple of shaky moves with the masters clearly not on the same page with their hack attack XD. Then they started to make a lot of mistakes and allowed e5, which allowed me to win the game with some decent moves (and some more blunders from them lol).
    Also they used so much time... when they resigned they had 10 seconds left.

Here's as far as I could remember: https://en.lichess.org/Nj0HnVSz#0
    After this there was some shuffling from both sides for a few moves, then I got in f4 and infiltrated with the queen, at which point one of the masters said 'this is won now' which might've been a joke, I'm not sure lol. Soon won a bishop with a skewer and they resigned.

But I have to make it clear that if I played one of them in a serious game I would certainly get walloped.

ReputationRep:
    13 1 20 8 42

We missed a lotof things in our game: https://en.lichess.org/Ldzner8O
    Including 19.Bc4 trapping the queen lol. Hopefully our next game will be less blunderful XD.

ReputationRep:
    13 1 20 8 42

We missed a lotof things in our game: https://en.lichess.org/Ldzner8O
    Including 19.Bc4 trapping the queen lol. Hopefully our next game will be less blunderful XD.
    I'd had a few pints, what can I say..
    b4 would have killed me instead of c3 lol

ReputationRep:
    13 if you or anyone else is up for another friendly, let me know okay?

John.

ReputationRep:
    Ffs, online blitz battle between Carlsen and Nakamura is the exact same time as chess clubnight next week, which means I have to choose between the two. On top of that, I have a supervision from 12-1 and the Anish Giri thing is 12-3. I can't believe how these times have worked out. If it was a lecture I'd easily be able to skip it (I'm skipping almost all of them now anyway lol) but it had to be a supervision.
    Idk what to do .

ReputationRep:
    Ffs, online blitz battle between Carlsen and Nakamura is the exact same time as chess clubnight next week, which means I have to choose between the two. On top of that, I have a supervision from 12-1 and the Anish Giri thing is 12-3. I can't believe how these times have worked out. If it was a lecture I'd easily be able to skip it (I'm skipping almost all of them now anyway lol) but it had to be a supervision.
    Idk what to do .
    y r you skipping lectures? do you want to fail your first year??

ReputationRep:
    y r you skipping lectures? do you want to fail your first year??
    to be fair I skipped essentially the entirety of two modules' lectures, along with the vast majority of lectures in several others, especially in term 2, and got 86% in my first year, and he is doing the same course as me so... the thing about the course is that the lecture notes available tend to be comprehensive and of good quality, so in most modules you do not really need more than them, along with past papers, to do well in exams. In addition a few modules are basically revision of A-level material, and one can do well in them with little preparation.

Idk what to do .
    You don't have to go to your supervision tbh. I mean, it might annoy your supervisor, but not much will come of it. One guy in my supervision group barely turned up at all and hardly got reprimanded in any official sense as far as I heard. I didn't realise that the Carlsen thing was on at that time; damn, to see it I have to miss pool and chess. But those are weekly, and the battle is not, so I might just stay home and watch it..

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.