The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    The more I see of May the more I feel that you would be opposed to her.

You seemed generally quite on board with the modernisers such as Cameron, Osborne, Gove and their low tax, low spend, small state*philosophy.

May seems much more of a 1950s conservative, less keen on the free market but very socially conservative. Quite a few proposals so far I've liked, such as removing the retesting of disabled people, increasing spending on housing, *workers on the boards of companies, launching an investigation into workers rights.*

Whether she follows through is another thing altogether but this seems a very different *Conservative party at the moment, at least in rhetoric.
    I don't dislike her per say but yeah, she's to the north west of Cameron and in turn he was a little north west of me on most issues (albeit i'm very conservative on foreign policy and certain health issues).

The only good thing there is house building. The tests should have been amended rather than scrapped and other stuff is wet.

In substance too, it's the most state schooled cabinet since Attlee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I don't dislike her per say but yeah, she's to the north west of Cameron and in turn he was a little north west of me on most issues (albeit i'm very conservative on foreign policy and certain health issues).

The only good thing there is house building. The tests should have been amended rather than scrapped and other stuff is wet.

In substance too, it's the most state schooled cabinet since Attlee.
    What's rather ironic is now that we are leaving the EU we seem to have adopted a more typical European, Christian Democrat type government.

As part of my work, I've been to talks from various people who work within government regulatory bodies and they seem to be painting a picture of May's government being far more centralised than Cameron's (who was more than willing to leave a lot of matters to the treasury)

May is making a bold pitch for the working class, former labour but now ukip voter.

If the orange bookers were still around I feel that the tories would shed a fair bit of their middle class, liberal support.

ReputationRep:
    What's rather ironic is now that we are leaving the EU we seem to have adopted a more typical European, Christian Democrat type government.

As part of my work, I've been to talks from various people who work within government regulatory bodies and they seem to be painting a picture of May's government being far more centralised than Cameron's (who was more than willing to leave a lot of matters to the treasury)

May is making a bold pitch for the working class, former labour but now ukip voter.

If the orange bookers were still around I feel that the tories would shed a fair bit of their middle class, liberal support.
    Most Orange Bookers came to the Tories when the Libs adopted their suicidal 'bash the coalition' election approach.

Hammond opens with a dig at Osbourne.

ReputationRep:
    2.7 million jobs created.

ReputationRep:
    7 private sector jobs created for every 1 public sector job lost.
    4 million people no longer burdened by income tax.

ReputationRep:
    All contracts signed before we exit will be guaranteed by government until completion - should remove some uncertainty.

ReputationRep:
    Most Orange Bookers came to the Tories when the Libs adopted their suicidal 'bash the coalition' election approach.

Hammond opens with a dig at Osbourne.
    Purely in terms of ideology do you see yourself as closer to May or to Clegg/ Alexander?

Also Phillip Hammond told probably the worst joke ever. 'Ed Balls wasn't strict 'a first choice, it was Jeremy Corbyn until they found out he had two left feet'

It doesn't even make sense.

Also disappointed with Javid for a very personal attack at Emily Thornberry. Attack the policy, not the person.*

ReputationRep:
    Purely in terms of ideology do you see yourself as closer to May or to Clegg/ Alexander?

Also Phillip Hammond told probably the worst joke ever. 'Ed Balls wasn't strict 'a first choice, it was Jeremy Corbyn until they found out he had two left feet'

It doesn't even make sense.

Also disappointed with Javid for a very personal attack at Emily Thornberry. Attack the policy, not the person.*
    I don't think there's much difference economically, their differences are social. I'm probably closer to Osbourne in principal.

I thought the joke was quite good. Like when 'Mock the week' came up with the joke that Corbyn should appointed England manager because he has staying power and is popular among fanatics.. the problem is that he'd want to select 11 left wingers.

ReputationRep:
    £220m for innovation in biomedical sciences and universities.

ReputationRep:
    £220m for innovation in biomedical sciences and universities.
    Not bad , Hammond's speech was very good , It has gone down quite well here at conference . Good to see he is scrapping the 2020 deadline for deficit reduction. Although i don't really see him as a future leader like i did with Osborne

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Not bad , Hammond's speech was very good , It has gone down quite well here at conference . Good to see he is scrapping the 2020 deadline for deficit reduction. Although i don't really see him as a future leader like i did with Osborne
    Is that not a good thing though? It means we might actually have a Chancellor who focuses solely on the economy rather than one who cares about his career progression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Is that not a good thing though? It means we might actually have a Chancellor who focuses solely on the economy rather than one who cares about his career progression.
    In fairness i thought some of his ideas were inspired because of their political ramifications. That said he was a 2 steps forward, 1 gaff chancellor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    That is true . However if you look back alot of chancellors try to get into downing street when the current PM resigns or is forced out

ReputationRep:
    That is true . However if you look back alot of chancellors try to get into downing street when the current PM resigns or is forced out
    Most who do are pretty ****. Anyway, aren't Chancellors already in Downing Street?

ReputationRep:
    What's with this new layout :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hammond has the charisma of a damp bath mat.

Incredibly boring and personality-less individual. Vastly prefer him to Osborne though.*

ReputationRep:
    This is weird alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    This is weird alright.
    Not to sure i like it if i'm honest , Especially the blue bar that follows you down the page
    And the font is dreadful

ReputationRep:
    What new layout? Am I missing something?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's much difference economically, their differences are social. I'm probably closer to Osbourne in principal.

I thought the joke was quite good. Like when 'Mock the week' came up with the joke that Corbyn should appointed England manager because he has staying power and is popular among fanatics.. the problem is that he'd want to select 11 left wingers.
    The 'two left feet' punchline didn't work because that's not a used or known euphemism for being left wing. Should have said something about leaning to the left.

** Plus he stuttered in the delivery.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.