University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    A nice shawl will cover it ok. Can you find something dressy for him too?
    I think nice pink lacy one will go very nice with that dress.
    This one will really tie the outfit together:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    This one will really tie the outfit together:

Oh, that's so really nice. I think he should employ you as his fashion adviser.
    He'll be a Homerton's legend......just like that Greg Hill who single-handedly built their new gym with his bare hands.

ReputationRep:
    - usual toiletry, like toothbrush/paste, shaving kits, etc.
    - towels (you need extra for rowing)
    - laundry-related things = a compact drying rack & lots of hungers are really handy. Saves a lot of money < less tumble-drying. You can buy washing powder in a laundry room (I think), but it'll be much cheaper if you buy a large pack from a shop when you get there.
    - Duvet & Bed linens.... Unless your college provides it for you. May worth taking your pillow, too. Some of college pillows can be not very nice......
    - a suit....or two, and shirts & ties to go with it....and a pair of leather shoes.
    - a set of basic tableware & cutlery
    - a very basic set of pot/pans/utensils
    - clothings/underwear
    - a laptop, stationery
    - extension cord with multiple mains is very useful.
    - Yourself
    Thank you :hugs: I'll try to remember that last one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duskstar)
    Thank you :hugs: I'll try to remember that last one
    I've told this to someone already, but my daughter had a couple of underbed storage from Ikea like this.
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10215788/

It's their Kid's range but it's very light, cheap and very handy because you can just fill it with whatever you like and just carry it with the stuff still inside to/from college/home in your car. No need for packing/unpacking.
    It's basically plastic sheet with metal frame, but strong enough to carry with linens, rowing stash, bags, etc. inside.

ReputationRep:
    - usual toiletry, like toothbrush/paste, shaving kits, etc.
    - towels (you need extra for rowing)
    - laundry-related things = a compact drying rack & lots of hungers are really handy. Saves a lot of money < less tumble-drying. You can buy washing powder in a laundry room (I think), but it'll be much cheaper if you buy a large pack from a shop when you get there.
    - Duvet & Bed linens.... Unless your college provides it for you. May worth taking your pillow, too. Some of college pillows can be not very nice......
    - a suit....or two, and shirts & ties to go with it....and a pair of leather shoes.
    - a set of basic tableware & cutlery
    - a very basic set of pot/pans/utensils
    - clothings/underwear
    - a laptop, stationery
    - extension cord with multiple mains is very useful.
    - Yourself
    I know this is pretty late on, but I would highly recommend getting black tie, there are so many events even in first term which are black die dress code and I know some freshers last year who had to go black tie shopping last minute, best to get it sorted out now before you go. As for suits, I just have two lounge suits and my black tie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    I know this is pretty late on, but I would highly recommend getting black tie, there are so many events even in first term which are black die dress code and I know some freshers last year who had to go black tie shopping last minute, best to get it sorted out now before you go. As for suits, I just have two lounge suits and my black tie.
    That's great idea.
    But I think you'd better 'quote' @Duskstar. I don't think I've got a place at Cambridge this autumn.......

Re black tie....
    I know a few boys who just wore a black suit and bow tie in the first year, instead of wearing proper dinner jacket, too. Seems completely acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    That's great idea.
    But I think you'd better 'quote' @Duskstar. I don't think I've got a place at Cambridge this autumn.......

Re black tie....
    I know a few boys who just wore a black suit and bow tie in the first year, instead of wearing proper dinner jacket, too. Seems completely acceptable.
    Oh yeah whoops. Are you sure?

Yeah I can't see any problems with that, in a dark room nobody can really tell the difference

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah whoops. Are you sure?

Yeah I can't see any problems with that, in a dark room nobody can really tell the difference
    I might check if they have any vacant position for a bedder......

Year, a dark room, and everyone's drunk. Nobody cares who's wearing what.
    But honestly, as long as it's a plain black suit with smooth texture, it can easily substitute for a black tie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Can everyone srop talking about my body.
    I am very beautiful.
    Ask zacken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11234)
    I find this reply very disturbing..........

ReputationRep:
    guys , I'm panicking - please someone help. I';ve just realised i forgot to hand in the fee status assessment questionnaire and the confirmation of student finance stuff - this was meant to be done by june - i don't know what - i can fill it in now but I'm scared its too late?

is the online notification of entitlement what they need?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applebottle)
    guys , I'm panicking - please someone help. I';ve just realised i forgot to hand in the fee status assessment questionnaire and the confirmation of student finance stuff - this was meant to be done by june - i don't know what - i can fill it in now but I'm scared its too late?

is the online notification of entitlement what they need?
    Yes it is. If you go to the documents section it should be pages 1 and 3, you save the gifs and email them -- at least that's what I did. My nominal deadline was August 31st, so I think it will be fine, especially if you don't have a long series of emails telling you to hurry up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Yes it is. If you go to the documents section it should be pages 1 and 3, you save the gifs and email them -- at least that's what I did. My nominal deadline was August 31st, so I think it will be fine, especially if you don't have a long series of emails telling you to hurry up.
    thank you - i hope they don't make me pay the extra 8000

ReputationRep:
    Got my room allocation, anyone know what angel court is like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingRS)
    Page 3: https://share.trin.cam.ac.uk/sites/p...al%20Rooms.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingRS)
    Are you in the facebook group "Official Trinity College, Cambridge Freshers 2016-2017"? A second year has partially described it in that group.
    Ill be in Angel court B1 by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Im getting a suit made.
    Im thinking of getting a nice grey knitted waistcoat to luk dapper ygm.
    What is the difference between a dinner jacket and normal suit jacket

ReputationRep:
    Im getting a suit made.
    http://www.mytuxedocatalog.com/blog/...do-and-a-suit/

Basically the lapels are usually larger and shiny

ReputationRep:
    Im getting a suit made.
    Lapel is silk (or a glossy/shiny effect). Also there tends to be a little silk lining across the suit pockets. Dress trousers also have a silk seam down the side of them.

Get on that tweed

ReputationRep:
    Im getting a suit made.
    http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article...t-shirt-how-to

Mine is black velvet (which apparently has become fashionable again...)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Should you wait six months before applying for a graduate job?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.