Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Without wanting to be too pessimistic, is it more likely that the people who are amber banded for DS atm get the go-ahead in April while the people who are amber banded for CD atm but already unsuccessful for DS are told no? Just so I'm thoroughly prepared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolsharp)
    Without wanting to be too pessimistic, is it more likely that the people who are amber banded for DS atm get the go-ahead in April while the people who are amber banded for CD atm but already unsuccessful for DS are told no? Just so I'm thoroughly prepared
    By definition thats more likely. Those amber for DS after the last mark setting have to have a higher score than those who were told no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gt94sss2)
    It all depends on the department - most will invite you in to talk to them and will tell you about the role they have in mind for you, some departments might give you some leeway in specifying what kind of area you want to work in and other give you no choice at all.

What I will say though is that a a score of '20 and a bit' is high - so you should be assigned pretty quickly..
    Thanks so much, this is really helpful. Have a fantastic bank holiday weekend and fingers crossed there'll be good news for us on Tuesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    By definition thats more likely. Those amber for DS after the last mark setting have to have a higher score than those who were told no.
    I would have thought that they'd only have a certain number of people (ie the top-borderline 100-150 either accepted for FSB or amber banded for DS? That would still leave say, 100ish places over? Just trying to maintain some sort of hope...are most people still waiting to hear unsuccessful for DS and amber on CD?

I thought that most people who were still amber banded for DS already have a guaranteed central departments place, going by posters' experience...?

edit: I have just noticed that the FSBs are in 20th/21st April at the latest. Which suggests that the next mark setting (to let still ambered-people know for DS, and maybe final pass marks altogether?) might be earlier than the projected 27th. In any case I am surprised that they are still ambering people for DS - they must be leaving it to the very, very last minute!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reema)
    I would have thought that they'd only have a certain number of people (ie the top-borderline 100-150 either accepted for FSB or amber banded for DS? That would still leave say, 100ish places over? Just trying to maintain some sort of hope...are most people still waiting to hear unsuccessful for DS and amber on CD?

I thought that most people who were still amber banded for DS already have a guaranteed central departments place, going by posters' experience...?
    Quite right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reema)
    edit: I have just noticed that the FSBs are in 20th/21st April at the latest. Which suggests that the next mark setting (to let still ambered-people know for DS, and maybe final pass marks altogether?) might be earlier than the projected 27th. In any case I am surprised that they are still ambering people for DS - they must be leaving it to the very, very last minute!!
    No, the last DS FSBs are on 18/19/20th May according to FSB Guide (downloaded from site) and also confirmed by Cabinet Office in message, so 27th would be ample time! Hang on in there!

PS. Any amber DS still out there...?

ReputationRep:
    I'm an amber DSer, I just wanna know now!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for the Assistant Statistician (AS) role as a fast streamer. I was told last week that I'd past the online tests, and I've now been invited to the Statistical Assessment Centre (SAC). The assessment consists of a written exercise (50 mins), an interview (40mins), a written report on a dataset (50 minutes) followed by a presentation (30 minutes). The assessment is mainly designed to test statistical knowledge and abilities in the areas of data collection, data analysis and dissemination of statistical results.

Urrm how do I put this, I graduated last year, the basic statistics I'm fine with, but I'm screwed coz I can't remember the more complex stuff!! I don't have any experience in applying statistics, to top it off, I have very little interview experience (failed to even get to these stages with any application )

Firstly, don't worry. For this AC you need only focus on the three additional statistics competencies: data collection, analysis and dissemination. As with FSAC, each exercise may test more than one competency, so if you do badly in one, you'll have the opportunity to shine in others. It's about 6 hours all in all (shorter than FSAC), but quite intense, so get a decent night's sleep the night before and come in with a clear head ready to do brilliantly.

There isn't a large amount of preparation you can do for the individual exercises. The written report and presentation all depend on your understanding of a given dataset, so you can't prepare this in advance, but try using the practice materials on the website and thinking about how you would explain these to a minister/colleague so that you're familiar with what to expect. The test is on very basic statistical/mathematical concepts and requires only very elementary statistical theory (A-level/first year degree level) - remember that it is testing people from a wide variety of backgrounds, so it can't get too advanced. Do read the rubric carefully, though - it's not a straightforward multiple choice. And, as with the e-tray, get used to doing your sums on the most basic of calculators - that's all you'll have.

What you can prepare for are some of the data collection/analysis sections. As stated in the guide, do some reading around the issues surrounding data collection - you'll be expected to know this in the written exercise and interview even if you haven't been taught it. Think of the hundreds of surveys the government performs each year, how it constructs them and what issues crop up. Think about what you might have to do if you were designing a survey; after all, this is what you could be doing in the job so you need to have thought about this carefully.

As regards data analysis, whilst this is tested elsewhere, it will be very explicitly tested in the interview as this is the only environment in which they can adapt the questioning to the candiate. You will need to be able to convincingly demonstrate that you understand the statistical techniques to the levels you rated yourself at on your application form. If you said you understood multivariate analysis to PhD level, be prepared for them to potentially check this. Equally, if you said you know nothing about ANOVA and rated it 0, do not expect them to test you on this. The format of the interview is, in my opinion, very much like an academic interview and the emphasis is far more on seeing how you think and how you understand statistical concepts rather than regurgitating a set of formulae.

Throughout the process, keep an eye on how you are explaining the techniques and methods you are using. In government, you will frequently be explaining things to a non-statistical audience, so an ability to explain difficult concepts clearly and concisely will be an asset.

In summary, don't worry too much. As with any assessment process, there is only a finite amount of preparation you can do. Make sure you understand plenty on data collection, are fluent in the techniques listed on the application form to the levels you stated, and that you have worked through the example exercises given to you so that you are familiar with what to expect. Try not to over-stress, and arrive relaxed and with a good night's sleep behind you - it does help. Above all, good luck - I'm sure you'll do just fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I was just wondering, has anyone heard anything about HoP yet? I know what people mean about 'awaiting results' - what an annoying term!!!

Also, I'm thinking of trying to defer my fast stream place till next year (I've been offered an internship with the UN) - firstly, how easy is this and secondly, when's the best time to ask and who should you contact?

Thanks a huge amount! x

ReputationRep:
    You can defer for up to a year for academic reasons - e.g. a Masters, but I'm not sure whether an internship would fall into this category.
    Also, I would imagine that deferring a clerkship may be more problematic since there are so few of them.

I deferred last year to do a Masters. I initially contacted the Fast Stream team, who told me that deferrals for academic reasons were generally allowed, but that since my option (Science and Engineering) had not filled all their available places, they left the final decision up to my department, who then said it was fine.

I think the first thing to do is to get in touch with the Fast Stream team and explain your circumstances, then go from there.
    If you're sure that it's what you want to do, I would mention it as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Wooo, got my report back today...17.92. Not sure what that means in context with others. lol.
    Problem is the feedback is taken so long i barely remember the FSAC and can't put it into context

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellsbells3032)
    Wooo, got my report back today...17.92. Not sure what that means in context with others. lol.
    Problem is the feedback is taken so long i barely remember the FSAC and can't put it into context
    from what i can tell on here, that's a really good mark!! i think the pass mark last year was about 16.5-17 so you've made it by a good margin! have you had any news on what dept you've been placed in yet? i've been amber banded for CD so am now nervously waiting for the end of april :-S

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I got 17.85 so we're pretty close -not sure if that's good or bad though. Looks like people are starting to be allocated according to facebook so hopefully not too long to wait..... i'm so impatient!

ReputationRep:
    Evening all,

As far as I know I'm still amber-banded for CD (the only scheme I applied for), but when I click on the info button next to the 'departmental assignment' heading on my scheme progress page I get a very long page begining with...

"Now you've passed the Fast Stream Assessment Centre (FSAC), all kinds of questions are probably occurring to you. We have asked new Fast Streamers in the past what they were unclear about when they were in your position, and what they would have liked more information about. These notes are based on what they told us. We hope they help, but if you don’t find the answer you’re looking for here, please contact us."

Does anyone else who's still amber-banded for CD only have this? I assume that it's a mistake at their end that should read "if you're successful..." as all the other info buttons do, but you know what these shiny glimmers of hope are like

Good luck to everyone though - if you don't count this week then there's only a week left until the week that we're meant to find out in... yes it has gotten that frustrating

All the best, jamie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeezeevans)
    Hi! I got 17.85 so we're pretty close -not sure if that's good or bad though. Looks like people are starting to be allocated according to facebook so hopefully not too long to wait..... i'm so impatient!
    Did u get through on the first or second round? curious which part i would of passed in if i hadnt applied for HoP

Not heard about departments yet. Its been less than two weeks including Easter since i withdrew from HoP so doubt i'll hear soon

ReputationRep:
    Ellsbells - I got through on the second round with 17.28 so I daresay your score was high enough to get you through on the first. Particularly since a score of about 18 (not much more than yours) was sufficient to get people to the DS board.

JamieinLondon - My info button also said 'now' when I was amber-banded and I got through last month, I'd be hesitant to read too much into it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    You can defer for up to a year for academic reasons - e.g. a Masters, but I'm not sure whether an internship would fall into this category.
    Also, I would imagine that deferring a clerkship may be more problematic since there are so few of them.

I deferred last year to do a Masters. I initially contacted the Fast Stream team, who told me that deferrals for academic reasons were generally allowed, but that since my option (Science and Engineering) had not filled all their available places, they left the final decision up to my department, who then said it was fine.

I think the first thing to do is to get in touch with the Fast Stream team and explain your circumstances, then go from there.
    If you're sure that it's what you want to do, I would mention it as soon as possible.
    Thank you very much! I emailed them and they said to wait and see until I know where I'm going. Thanks for your help. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieinLondon)
    Evening all,

As far as I know I'm still amber-banded for CD (the only scheme I applied for), but when I click on the info button next to the 'departmental assignment' heading on my scheme progress page I get a very long page begining with...

"Now you've passed the Fast Stream Assessment Centre (FSAC), all kinds of questions are probably occurring to you. We have asked new Fast Streamers in the past what they were unclear about when they were in your position, and what they would have liked more information about. These notes are based on what they told us. We hope they help, but if you don’t find the answer you’re looking for here, please contact us."

Does anyone else who's still amber-banded for CD only have this? I assume that it's a mistake at their end that should read "if you're successful..." as all the other info buttons do, but you know what these shiny glimmers of hope are like

Good luck to everyone though - if you don't count this week then there's only a week left until the week that we're meant to find out in... yes it has gotten that frustrating

All the best, jamie
    yup i've got that too- damn those glimmers of hope! when have you been waiting to hear since? i took my AC a week ago but heard the next day that i was amber for CD (and outright fail for FCO). one week has gone SOOOO slowly so can't imagine what other people who've been waiting longer must feel like! :-S

ReputationRep:
    Hi hanabie - I had exactly the same as you I think. Amber for CD and HoP, outright fail for FCO. HoP doesn't mean anything as they haven't set pass/fail marks yet I don't think. I hope that's why I don't have anything to do with departmental assignment etc :P . I've been waiting since 16th February, and am really nearing the end of my tether! But the closer late April comes, the slower the move towards then becomes for me, so I sympathise with you . But it will be so very worth it if we come up trumps. Even if we don't - well, hey, no more waiting plus feedback which is always useful?! The next two weeks are going to be nailbiting for me as I am waiting to hear on NGDP as well ( ambered for that too...).

Judging by the feedback reports out so far, it appears that they are probably keeping people below, say, 16.8-17 waiting? They must have set a cut off mark for unsuccessful DSers quite early in any case.

ReputationRep:
    Waiting two months on Friday... Trust me, I understand your pain

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.