The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone here cried when they recently given up smoking weed/ other drugs? I feel ****ing depressed atm
Original post by ViceVersa
Help? Who knows how to change me into somebody else? :puppyeyes:

It's all in your head, take a step back and re evaluate life:smile:
Original post by ViceVersa
Help? Who knows how to change me into somebody else? :puppyeyes:

:hugs: you don't need to, you seem like a wonderful person as you are :smile:

if I could magically make everyone in the thread happy (myself included) though then I would!
Original post by superwolf
The impression that I have formed is that you should do your own damn work. :tongue:

Aww you suck. No biting privileges for you.

:mad:
Reply 1124
Feeling down and jittery again. It was just a blip. woop.
I just got made cheese toasties. :awesome:

Original post by xbethany
My Mum just rang. We got all angry with each other. She keeps asking me questions like 'what did you do today?' when I say 'nothing' that isn't a good enough answer. But that is all I've done! I wish she'd just stop asking, what does she want me to say? It makes me feel even worse cause I have to recognise that I never do anything, and she gets angry cause she thinks I don't tell her anything, but I literally have nothing to tell!

I suggest that you tell her you've been lying in bed, thinking. :holmes:

Original post by Sabertooth
Got a splitting headache from all the crying and all I want to do is cry some more. :cry:

Spoiler

I've got a headache too, from filling in DSA forms. :indiff:

Spoiler

Original post by Noodlzzz
4th deadline I've missed (and still yet to even start the work for them) tomorrow. Practice exam on friday for lectures I've yet to read let alone study for and books I've yet to open. I'm beginning to doubt my ability to finish this term with any dignity. Perhaps restarting the term next year as the mental health advisor at uni suggested might not be a bad idea :/

:console: As I was saying to Nut. there are still options available (see my stupidly long post), but if you don't have such strong objections to taking time off from uni then yeah, starting over next year might work for you. That's what I did (although I took two years off), and although I had some terrible times which I wouldn't wish on anyone (well, nearly anyone :colone:), the end result was that I did get better, and was able to start back at uni in a far better condition than I was when I left. Your problems might come back of course like mines did, but by having the extra time to yourself you can make yourself stronger and more able to cope.

The one thing I'd really seriously advise is to make sure you do something productive if you take the time off. I did literally nothing for the majority of my two years, and it made me a hell of a lot worse. Get a job, or study, or volunteer, but just make sure you do something useful with your time.
Original post by laut_biru
Aww you suck. No biting privileges for you.

:mad:

Who needs privileges when you can take liberties? :biggrin:
Original post by Noodlzzz
4th deadline I've missed (and still yet to even start the work for them) tomorrow. Practice exam on friday for lectures I've yet to read let alone study for and books I've yet to open. I'm beginning to doubt my ability to finish this term with any dignity. Perhaps restarting the term next year as the mental health advisor at uni suggested might not be a bad idea :/

I'm repeating the year for mental health reasons and it's honestly the best decision I ever made. I have all of the support in place, the uni makes allowances but on the whole I am progressing with my higher marks than I was when I was bumbling through the year last year.

If you choose to stay then don't forget to make sure you get support in place.

If you choose to take a while to recover and restart the year then remember it's not a failure. If anything it shows how determined you are to show your true potential.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I'm repeating the year for mental health reasons and it's honestly the best decision I ever made. I have all of the support in place, the uni makes allowances but on the whole I am progressing with my higher marks than I was when I was bumbling through the year last year.

If you choose to take a while to recover and restart the year then remember it's not a failure. If anything it shows how determined you are to show your true potential.

what were your Uni like about repeating? realistically it's something I will have to consider, am way behind at Uni, trying to catch up but not sure if I can, getting extra support at Uni, but main issue is my depression still, seeing Counsellor and Psychiatrist next week but im not expecting either to be a miracle cure for me so probably gonna be struggling still next few weeks at least :/

I know I don't want to drop out or even take a term out (my friends and social life here are all that keeps me going a lot of the time), but I also know that getting the marks I need to pass the year will be incredibly hard for me :frown:
Reply 1129
Original post by ParadoxSocks

I think I love you a little bit :hugs: - trying to make this decision right now too..:headhurts: Thank you - good post
Reply 1130
Right, I am going to look into getting housing from the council.. I was asking the behaviour therapist yesterday if I would fit in to:
band A people with a serious medical condition who need to move urgently because their home is affecting their health

"Gregg, you are in a psychiatric hospital because you were on the verge of killing yourself with cuts all over your arms, if you don't qualify now when do you think you will exactly?"

Talk about getting straight to the point :rofl:
(edited 12 years ago)
I agree with the other people, if uni is too difficult right now don't be scared to take time out (although really you do want something to do during that time). I struggled on for 3 years and all I got out of it was a ****ty degree I know I could have done better than. Taking time out can sometimes be the right choice.
Original post by SciFiBoy
what were your Uni like about repeating? realistically it's something I will have to consider, am way behind at Uni, trying to catch up but not sure if I can, getting extra support at Uni, but main issue is my depression still, seeing Counsellor and Psychiatrist next week but im not expecting either to be a miracle cure for me so probably gonna be struggling still next few weeks at least :/

I know I don't want to drop out or even take a term out (my friends and social life here are all that keeps me going a lot of the time), but I also know that getting the marks I need to pass the year will be incredibly hard for me :frown:

My uni and department were great about it. I'd got myself into a state of having 100 credits to pass over 6 weeks so they gave me the options.

Definitely discuss with your uni about postponing deadlines, maybe moving a few modules (I had an Autumn programming module moved to Summer so I could concentrate on it better) and the other things like that if you're not sure you want to repeat the year. There are so many allowances that can be made if you need them to get through the year successfully.

It really knocked me when I had to sign my 'repeating the year' papers. I mean really really knocked me. I pretty much shut down for the two weeks after finding out. I had a lot of meetings with the university to try and calm my feelings down about being a repeat student at 25 but I've grown to accept that it was what I needed. I am really enjoying uni this time around. I'm doing group work, exercising, eating better and generally having a good time and working at a higher level and, most importantly, feeling better about it.

You just have to figure what works for you :smile:
Original post by Idle
Right, I am going to look into getting housing from the council.. I was asking the behaviour therapist yesterday if I would fit in to

"Gregg, you are in a psychiatric hospital because you were on the verge of killing yourself with cuts all over your arms, if you don't qualify now when do you think you will exactly?"

Talk about getting straight to the point :rofl:

:mmm: Fair point.

Best of luck with getting the housing and everything. If you haven't already, you should get a CPN/social worker/someone to help you with it - those things are a nightmare to do on your own.
Original post by superwolf
Who needs privileges when you can take liberties? :biggrin:

I see.

Consent is considered important for a reason.
Reply 1135
Started to see giant spiders again. I don't know whether I should tell the doctor or not....? They look very real, but I know they're not there really. Sometimes wish they were kittens rather than spiders though..... (how very speciesist of me)....
Original post by laut_biru
I see.

Consent is considered important for a reason.

My teeth trump your consent.
Original post by SeaJay
I think I love you a little bit :hugs: - trying to make this decision right now too..:headhurts: Thank you - good post

Naww, thanks! It's a huge decision but talking to your uni and thinking through the pros and cons will really help.

Honestly, it's been the best decision I've ever made. If I'd continued bumbling through I'd have probably gone completely crazy and my grades are great compared to last year.

You'll need to get evidence and discuss with student finance to have funding for your repeat year (you have an extra year of funding anyway but keeping that for if you need it later is probably a better idea).

Definitely talk it through with your department/student services/disability support though!
Original post by SeaJay
Started to see giant spiders again. I don't know whether I should tell the doctor or not....? They look very real, but I know they're not there really. Sometimes wish they were kittens rather than spiders though..... (how very speciesist of me)....

Sounds like something you should be telling your doctor. It's good that you know they're not real now, but for that same reason you should see if you need help for it now, in case later you stop thinking so clearly.

I wish I saw kittens too... :sad:
Reply 1139
Exams from tomorrow. I know nothing. Anxiety in killing me. Have really bad pain in my chest since yesturday and nothings helping. Keep being sick and im so scared. I know im going to fail and just wan to hide away but my parents will hate me if I don't go and the uni may fail me anyway and make me retake in the summer and if I pass, get the min grade. I can just do it and then get 'special considerations' but as Im already getting extra time etc they may not care. I need to go GP but dont know what to say to them. I dont want depression medication and anxietymed clearly isn't working anymore. I also think everyone thinks im lying and im really just thick and not capable of being a dr. I cant stop crying but need to learn something for tomo and this pain in my chest is really bad. Have no-one to talk to. New uni friends dont know anything is wrong and dont want them to. I dont know what to do. I hate this.

Latest

Trending

Trending