Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I dont know if this has been mentioned before as only recently found the thread and didnt read it all, and some people may hate me for even mentioning the idea....so sorry in advance lol

but lets say you are coaching a team or a fan of a team that has no hope of reaching the playoffs - (I dont mean pessimism at the start of the season, im talking part way in and either statistically no chance or very near there). Would you want your team to lose all its remaining games? maybe even field 2nd or 3rd stringers for whole games in a clear show of not trying to win? true you may get less people watching your games that year but it could leave you with much more valuable draft picks either to use or to trade with and give you a better chance in future......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg1989)
    Would you want your team to lose all its remaining games? maybe even field 2nd or 3rd stringers for whole games in a clear show of not trying to win? true you may get less people watching your games that year but it could leave you with much more valuable draft picks either to use or to trade with and give you a better chance in future......
    No. As a coach, it is your job to motivate the team and win games. If they don't win games, they lose their jobs.

Draft picks aren't everything. I think I'd like to see my team going out in a blaze of glory rather than laying down and dying game after game. It would show you there is hope for the future. Also, you could probably make better use of the final games; which players are worthy of a roster spot, who's to blame for the poor record that got you into this situation where you can't make the play-offs? etc. etc.

Plus, if you're a fairly decent side, more players will be interested in joining your team. Signing free agents could be easier in some cases. Or say, if you played for the Buffalo Bills (god forbid) you'd want to go to a team that has at least a chance of making the playoffs.

ReputationRep:
    Will I have enough time to go to the London game?

**** it, I'm buying the tickets anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Egg Militia)
    No. As a coach, it is your job to motivate the team and win games. If they don't win games, they lose their jobs.

Draft picks aren't everything. I think I'd like to see my team going out in a blaze of glory rather than laying down and dying game after game. It would show you there is hope for the future. Also, you could probably make better use of the final games; which players are worthy of a roster spot, who's to blame for the poor record that got you into this situation where you can't make the play-offs? etc. etc.

Plus, if you're a fairly decent side, more players will be interested in joining your team. Signing free agents could be easier in some cases. Or say, if you played for the Buffalo Bills (god forbid) you'd want to go to a team that has at least a chance of making the playoffs.
    The Bills' record last year was not a true reflection of how they played, they were an 8-8 team last year. Unlucky to be in the same division as both the Pats and the Jets, but this year, look for them to have a winning year if they start Spiller and draft DL/OL in the first round.

The Bills are a good team, and you can take that to the house.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know if this has been mentioned before as only recently found the thread and didnt read it all, and some people may hate me for even mentioning the idea....so sorry in advance lol

but lets say you are coaching a team or a fan of a team that has no hope of reaching the playoffs - (I dont mean pessimism at the start of the season, im talking part way in and either statistically no chance or very near there). Would you want your team to lose all its remaining games? maybe even field 2nd or 3rd stringers for whole games in a clear show of not trying to win? true you may get less people watching your games that year but it could leave you with much more valuable draft picks either to use or to trade with and give you a better chance in future......
    I would be annoyed as a fan to see my team throw games away (like they actually did the season we went 14-2.)

I would be infuriated as a player if I was told not to try and win.

So I wouldn't throw games away for any reason.

ReputationRep:
    I like green and blue as a colour but also like the raiders logo.... I want a team that has a good squad at the moment... History would be nice but it's not too important... I would like a balanced team if anything, but offence to outweigh the defensive side of the teams game if possible, with good receivers/tight ends that have successful passing plays as I'm a WR and want to watch it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbles)
    I like green and blue as a colour but also like the raiders logo.... I want a team that has a good squad at the moment... History would be nice but it's not too important... I would like a balanced team if anything, but offence to outweigh the defensive side of the teams game if possible, with good receivers/tight ends that have successful passing plays as I'm a WR and want to watch it....
    Well if you want to watch good recievers, I'd say support ether the Cardinals, Patriots, Bengals, Colts or Packers. And then, out of them, the Patriots and the Colts have blue kits. I'd also take the Patriots away as everyone who likes american football in England seems to like them. So support the Colts, even if they are on somewhat of a downhill slide.

ReputationRep:
    Must admit Rex predicting the superbowl every year is getting a bit old but I supported them before he arrived and they are still very entertaining if nothing else, that being said despite his playoff record I still have no faith in Sanchez at all lol
    Yeah, he talks too much. He is actually a really good coach! AFC Championship 2 years in a row speaks volumes. If he wasn't such a loud mouth trash talker I would be a fan of his (still hate the jets lol).

Sanchez sucks. Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, even to an extent Matt Stafford and Sam Bradford have done more with their offense with less to work with. Sanchez relies on an incredible receiver core (which Manning, Brady or Brees would make literally unstoppable) and a great running game as well as a top 5 o-line and a crazy good defense.

Sanchez is the weak link in New York.

ReputationRep:
    Scott, I gave three teams I'd rather support due to them being in my favourite state haha

Elliot, decided to not go for Raiders... hate there kit!!!! So it's San Diego Chargers or San Francisco 49ers....

ReputationRep:

Hasn't been mentioned I don't think.

There is a real good argument there actually. I remember (from a programme lol) that in 1969 there was one team (who I forget) who was doing really badly. they were destined for the #1 pick. but late in the year they picked up and won a few games. they finished with a poor record, an early pick, and the wins were worth nothing. all they did was give the first overall pick to the Bills who drafted O.J. Simpson!

Unfortunately, purposely loosing is wrong. You are there to win games. Just in like in english football, fielding a weakened side is wrong and unfair on fans. You should always try and win games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    Will I have enough time to go to the London game?

**** it, I'm buying the tickets anyway.
    i scored two free tickets! haha LOL!

Hope you enjoy it gonna be ace!

i wana see devin hester return one all the way :drool:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I would wager you would gain more ability to win by training your team well and playing against other teams to the best of their ability than to throw games and get a slightly better pick. After all one way you get one or two slightly better players than you otherwise would but at the beginning of the next season you've got most of a team of players who've spent a fair few games deliberately losing, they are hardly going to suddenly play better than other teams, you'd be lucky if they played as well as when you were actually trying but losing.

(Original post by S129439)

WHAT.

ReputationRep:
    blue & yellow = chargers
    gold, red & white - 49ers

take your pick. but it sounds like you like the chargers more haha

chargers are a great squad now, but never won the superbowl so your not gunna be a glory hunter! people accuse me of that ll. even though it's not true, it can get annoying!

chargers have a better offense than defense, and 49ers are balanced really, but maybe slightly better on D.

chargers have a GREAT passing attack.

go for chargers! they have an awesome song too.... goes likes : " San Diego SUPER Chargers!!!" (but with a tune haha)

ReputationRep:

I want to see Cutler wreck ****.

And I also want the Bucs to be replaced with the Colts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    I would wager you would gain more ability to win by training your team well and playing against other teams to the best of their ability than to throw games and get a slightly better pick. After all one way you get one or two slightly better players than you otherwise would but at the beginning of the next season you've got most of a team of players who've spent a fair few games deliberately losing, they are hardly going to suddenly play better than other teams, you'd be lucky if they played as well as when you were actually trying but losing.
    This is true. Besides, how often is it that the only player you want goes #1 overall? not very. and if you have a really high pick eg 4 or 5, then you have some pretty awesome trade power too haha

(Original post by Mithra)
    WHAT.
    You heard Taking my best friend who took me to see the Bucs in Florida, so I kinda owe him haha

ReputationRep:
    I want to see Cutler wreck ****.

And I also want the Bucs to be replaced with the Colts.
    Yeah! Like I said these are teams I want to come to wembley!

• Colts - Before Manning retires seeing as he is an all-time great!
    • Pats - (again)
    • Ravens - ray lewis cheaaa
    • Chiefs - an up and coming team. plus i wana cheer Matt Cassel.
    • Rams - (because my uncle would go then )
    • Cowboys - america's team. and i wana boo tony homo
    • Eagles - i wana cheer asante samuel + MICHAEL VICK!
    • Falcons - Matty Ice. awesome team! exciting to watch :P
    • Packers - superbowl champs! rodgers is awesome and will be HOF
    • Titans - Chris Johnson!

Jay Cutler will suck on chode haha. presuming they don't draft a QB which is unlikely. maybe he will be injured?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! Like I said these are teams I want to come to wembley!

• Colts - Before Manning retires seeing as he is an all-time great!
    • Pats - (again)
    • Ravens - ray lewis cheaaa
    • Chiefs - an up and coming team. plus i wana cheer Matt Cassel.
    • Rams - (because my uncle would go then )
    • Cowboys - america's team. and i wana boo tony homo
    • Eagles - i wana cheer asante samuel + MICHAEL VICK!
    • Falcons - Matty Ice. awesome team! exciting to watch :P
    • Packers - superbowl champs! rodgers is awesome and will be HOF
    • Titans - Chris Johnson!

Jay Cutler will suck on chode haha. presuming they don't draft a QB which is unlikely. maybe he will be injured?
    They won't draft another QB, Cutler is epic, he just has a terrible OL.

Agreed with all your picks, I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets either.

ReputationRep:
    blue & yellow = chargers
    gold, red & white - 49ers

take your pick. but it sounds like you like the chargers more haha

chargers are a great squad now, but never won the superbowl so your not gunna be a glory hunter! people accuse me of that ll. even though it's not true, it can get annoying!

chargers have a better offense than defense, and 49ers are balanced really, but maybe slightly better on D.

chargers have a GREAT passing attack.

go for chargers! they have an awesome song too.... goes likes : " San Diego SUPER Chargers!!!" (but with a tune haha)
    I'm stuck between Chargers and 49ers.... they both sound appealing to me! Tell me more about both please dude?

Also, what uk shops online can i buy stuff for nfl teams? Want to get a few things for whichever team I choose
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck between Chargers and 49ers.... they both sound appealing to me! Tell me more about both please dude?

Also, what uk shops online can i buy stuff for nfl teams? Want to get a few things for whichever team I choose
    www.nfluk.com/shop

ReputationRep:
    They won't draft another QB, Cutler is epic, he just has a terrible OL.

Agreed with all your picks, I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets either.
    I wouldn't have thought so either, but stranger things have happened! Who saw Denver taking Tebow last year? Just sayin haha

Jets I would be OK with as long as they lost.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.