The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anyone_can_fly
I don't think you really understand what I was trying to say. I was complaining about how in our RE lessons, Christianity was taught as fact while all other religions (when they got a mention) were implied to be false. I'm actually religious myself. As a non-Christian, this treatment of world religions always annoyed me. :smile:

Oh, well.
I suppose you do have a point.
I just have this plugin/malfunction whereby I go freakyjudgmentalperson on people when I see something even slightly so (judgmental)
See, the irony of me is that I HATE judgments. However, I love judging people who judge others (which basically means everybody, incidentally, thus making me very hypocritical yet not, in a way. In a way.)

But I digress.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by candide
It was this:

http://www.st-hildas.ox.ac.uk/index.php/news/

..I wanna apply to PPE at Oxford

Congratulations on your competition success :smile: I wonder, are the winning essays viewable online somewhere? The title of yours is intriguing, it would be well worth a read I'm sure.

Shame you're leaning towards PPE; for a number of reasons, I would be applying to St. Hilda's for History if I were you :wink: Good luck anyway!
Original post by MeeMee
Well, I always try to think of these things like this: Four people will have to be those four, so it could as well be me. Or you in that case, since I'm not applying to either Merton or E&M.

I guess you're right! So let's just hope we get into our colleges but actually I wouldn't mind to get pooled by another college. What scares me about Merton is also that they are the college with the most German applicants, at least on a percentage basis, so they probably have seen many high quality German applicants with better grades or better personal statements :s-smilie: Maybe I just worry too much about it..
Original post by nightmare91
But the most competitive is still E&M with an acceptance rate of 7.6% :biggrin: But that rather scares me... Especially since my college only takes in 4 for E&M every year :frown:

Don't too much conflate 'popular' with 'competitive'. The entry and application statistics for E&M are quite unlike those for any other course. Uniquely it attracts (far) more applicants from outside the UK than within, typically from India, China, and the Middle East, and many of these would generously be called speculative and ungenerously called risible. One of the PS helpers on this site reports that some of the ones she sees for E&M are orders of magnitude worse than are seen for any other subject: I would be pride of parents and Uttar Pradesh if studying in very famous university of Oxfrods.

It would be far better, though is of course impractical, if the university could for this particular course refine the data to show "credible applicants: acceptances". It remains a very popular and competitive course, mind, only not quite to the extent the untreated data would suggest.

Incidentally, 4 a year at a single college is rather a lot. Repeated across, say, 20 colleges it would see a yearly intake of 80 students, which is a big course. Are you sure this is right, then?
Reply 1124
Original post by Unconventional.
For those of you who know which college you are going to apply to, what made you reach that decision? :smile:

Applying to study Law, or English Lit, or maybe English Lit and History. So pretty undecided.

I think I want to apply to Pembroke, although I still have a few colleges to look at (a 'few' in this case meaning about 30). For me I just felt a little bit at home, and I think choosing a college is really about having a look and just seeing what you like, and what feels like the right fit. Whether in 3 months Pembroke will still feel like the right fit, who knows?
Reply 1125
I guess you're right! So let's just hope we get into our colleges but actually I wouldn't mind to get pooled by another college. What scares me about Merton is also that they are the college with the most German applicants, at least on a percentage basis, so they probably have seen many high quality German applicants with better grades or better personal statements :s-smilie: Maybe I just worry too much about it..

Wait how do you know this? Like where did you get that from that Merton has the most German applicants? Do you have a statistic of this or something like that? It would be really cool to see that broken down...
Original post by deadpinkfluffycat
Oh, well.
I suppose you do have a point.
I just have this plugin/malfunction whereby I go freakyjudgmentalperson on people when I see something even slightly so (judgmental)
See, the irony of me is that I HATE judgments. However, I love judging people who judge others (which basically means everybody, incidentally, thus making me very hypocritical yet not, in a way. In a way.)

But I digress.

But I wasn't saying anything judgemental. :K:
Apologies for my lack of knowledge, but what is E&M?
Original post by fluteflute
Apologies for my lack of knowledge, but what is E&M?

Economics and Management
Original post by anyone_can_fly
But I wasn't saying anything judgemental. :K:

That's another thing.
I find everything judgmental.
My lit teacher hates me for that.
Well, not really, but something like that.
Original post by candide

I dunno - maybe people just forget that while you might be the best in your particular school, in the real world, you're against all the other people who are best.

:yes: This.
Hmmm I chose Magdalen because:

-it's big, old and pretty which I insist on (for now) :rolleyes:
-it has loads of bursaries and stuff
-lots of places for Languages
-nice central location
-DOES MY COURSE
-accomodation for all years on a lottery system which I prefer
-it's just gorgeous.
Just had a lovely chat with admissions! Feel so much better after. :smile: Still can't decide on a college though! :smile:
Original post by Albertine
Just had a lovely chat with admissions! Feel so much better after. :smile: Still can't decide on a college though! :smile:

what did you ask and what did they tell you? :biggrin:
Original post by such_a_lady
Hmmm I chose Magdalen because:

-it's big, old and pretty which I insist on (for now) :rolleyes:
-it has loads of bursaries and stuff
-lots of places for Languages
-nice central location
-DOES MY COURSE
-accomodation for all years on a lottery system which I prefer
-it's just gorgeous.

How does everyone define central? Magdalen seems a bit of a trek to me :dontknow:

For me Balliol is the most central college. Worcester is apparently meant to be not that central but it seems close to everywhere that's worth going
Original post by cambio wechsel
Don't too much conflate 'popular' with 'competitive'. The entry and application statistics for E&M are quite unlike those for any other course. Uniquely it attracts (far) more applicants from outside the UK than within, typically from India, China, and the Middle East, and many of these would generously be called speculative and ungenerously called risible. One of the PS helpers on this site reports that some of the ones she sees for E&M are orders of magnitude worse than are seen for any other subject: I would be pride of parents and Uttar Pradesh if studying in very famous university of Oxfrods.

It would be far better, though is of course impractical, if the university could for this particular course refine the data to show "credible applicants: acceptances". It remains a very popular and competitive course, mind, only not quite to the extent the untreated data would suggest.

Incidentally, 4 a year at a single college is rather a lot. Repeated across, say, 20 colleges it would see a yearly intake of 80 students, which is a big course. Are you sure this is right, then?

Actually someone told me a similar thing. Economics and Management is the typical Investment Banker course therefore many students who are planning on pursuing a high-salary career are attracted to apply. I also heard that the PPE candidates are rather the high quality students out of those two courses and it makes sense. But when he told me this, I didn't believe him I must admit since the offers, at least for German students, are higher than for PPE students. I think I confused high offers with high quality because those two do not always come along together...

But thanks for the reply, I started to panic because I saw this low acceptance rate and also many on TSR always say that it is sooo damn competitive and that I should rather apply to PPE...
Original post by MeeMee
Wait how do you know this? Like where did you get that from that Merton has the most German applicants? Do you have a statistic of this or something like that? It would be really cool to see that broken down...

Unfortunetely I can't provide any data, sorry :redface: It's just what I observed and many people told me. Last year a friend of mine was at the Open Day at Merton and he said there were a lot of Germans, mainly intending to apply for PPE. I also saw this one Merton Facebook group and many of them were Germans, holding an offer for PPE. So I don't know if it's true but Merton certainly attracts a lot of Germans each year, especially for PPE :smile:

LSE has a statistic about how many applicants from different countries got accepted for each course, so maybe Oxford has data about this also somewhere...

Well, if I get in, I certainly know which JCR I'll be hanging out in :wink: vllt wirds viele gutaussehenden deutschen da geben :wink:

Original post by dnumberwang
How does everyone define central? Magdalen seems a bit of a trek to me :dontknow:

For me Balliol is the most central college. Worcester is apparently meant to be not that central but it seems close to everywhere that's worth going

Fair point actually. I just really like where it is, actually, everything around it is very pretty. The whole of the Oxford uni area is, though. On that note, I had such a tough time explaining colleges to my dad. He kept asking me what the campus was like. :rolleyes:

I had an Oxford-related meeting today, where I basically explained to the teacher what was in the course, why I wanted to do it, when I started wanting to do languages, my EC stuff...I have to bring in a draft PS next week :s-smilie:
Actually someone told me a similar thing. Economics and Management is the typical Investment Banker course therefore many students who are planning on pursuing a high-salary career are attracted to apply. I also heard that the PPE candidates are rather the high quality students out of those two courses and it makes sense. But when he told me this, I didn't believe him I must admit since the offers, at least for German students, are higher than for PPE students. I think I confused high offers with high quality because those two do not always come along together...

But thanks for the reply, I started to panic because I saw this low acceptance rate and also many on TSR always say that it is sooo damn competitive and that I should rather apply to PPE...

Make no mistake, even after the 'adjustment' E&M is a very very competitive course, and perhaps even more so than PPE, yes. The whole of what I wanted to say is that it perhaps isn't quite as hugely competitive as the data might seem to suggest.

Good luck with it, by the way, whichever of the two you choose.
Original post by cambio wechsel
Make no mistake, even after the 'adjustment' E&M is a very very competitive course, and perhaps even more so than PPE, yes. The whole of what I wanted to say is that it perhaps isn't quite as hugely competitive as the data might seem to suggest.

Good luck with it, by the way, whichever of the two you choose.

I really like your username :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending