?
Report 11 years ago
carleton college iirc...
rachelcee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
wow. maybe the reason's that he/she couldnt get into princeton/harvard? to be honest straight As mean nothing to american unis if that's all one has.

i can understand why one would give up harvard/princeton for somewhere like williams/amherst/even swathmore though..
rawkingpunkster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yes so many straight A people are getting rejected by yale and all
verse
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
calling out to all singaporeans doing/going to do law...

which uni are you at/going to go to, and what were your a level grades?
yonanz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hmm verse
I thought you were gona do history? since when did you decide to do law?
verse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
haven't decided, but something happened that's making me consider trying for law. i'm just at the getting more information stage atm...
yonanz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ic..fickle minded eh? Just be sure you aint one of those who study law just for the sake of imaginary "prestige", "money" and whatnot, which I can guarantee doesnt exist.

I was once in this quandary, deciding between economics (something I love) versus law (something I thought was real neat and impressive and all that jazz). Got a couple of great offers but in the end rmb - it all boils down to what you like and what you will enjoy in uni. Many presuppositions about certain subjects like law and medicine are totally overturned when we actually engage them, and what will sustain you throughout 4 years of intensive uni course is actually your passion and interest. I have gathered this from numerous graduates (I work in a reservist unit) from the most diverse of professions. Having a first class honours or good 2nd uppers in econs beats a 2nd lower in law.

If indeed it isnt what I have intepreted it to be, ignore my comments and good luck with your decision, whatever it might be.
yonanz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
btw, if you need any help wrt law application, feel free to approach me. Im quite unabashedly a veteran LOL
verse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by yonanz)
ic..fickle minded eh? Just be sure you aint one of those who study law just for the sake of imaginary "prestige", "money" and whatnot, which I can guarantee doesnt exist.

I was once in this quandary, deciding between economics (something I love) versus law (something I thought was real neat and impressive and all that jazz). Got a couple of great offers but in the end rmb - it all boils down to what you like and what you will enjoy in uni. Many presuppositions about certain subjects like law and medicine are totally overturned when we actually engage them, and what will sustain you throughout 4 years of intensive uni course is actually your passion and interest. I have gathered this from numerous graduates (I work in a reservist unit) from the most diverse of professions. Having a first class honours or good 2nd uppers in econs beats a 2nd lower in law.

If indeed it isnt what I have intepreted it to be, ignore my comments and good luck with your decision, whatever it might be.
haha thanks for the words of warning.

hmm. this may sound arrogant, but i feel that i have the qualities needed to do a law degree, maybe save the verbal debating part which needs some polishing up.

interest wise, other arts (history) and social science subjects (sociology, psychology...) do appeal more to me, but i feel that one will enjoy doing something he/she is good at.

thanks for your offer to answer questions. i understand that for international students, some unis may allow slightly lower grades for admission into courses. would such a practice apply to law? i'm not talking about the top unis like oxbridge, lse and ucl...perhaps durham or soas...
verse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ooh and a question or 2 about ucas.

should i bother to input my GP grade? UK unis don't care about GP right?

and for the subjects, is it okay just stating the subject name, for eg. 'history' or should i input the numerical subject code as well?
yonanz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by verse)
haha thanks for the words of warning.

hmm. this may sound arrogant, but i feel that i have the qualities needed to do a law degree, maybe save the verbal debating part which needs some polishing up.

interest wise, other arts (history) and social science subjects (sociology, psychology...) do appeal more to me, but i feel that one will enjoy doing something he/she is good at.

thanks for your offer to answer questions. i understand that for international students, some unis may allow slightly lower grades for admission into courses. would such a practice apply to law? i'm not talking about the top unis like oxbridge, lse and ucl...perhaps durham or soas...
Wrong Wrong Wrong!! You are putting the cart before the horse

One will do well in what one enjoys, not other way round. Besides it's really quite premature to assume that you will do well in law for the simple reason that you have yet to start a law course!

Sometimes doing well in humanities or being good in English doesnt translate into abilities to cope with law. Any decent humanities student, or any student with good grades and perhaps good GP grades as well, will tend to develop a propensity for such a thought. A law course is not for everyone, especially even if your English language is "powerful". Its quite unlike anything you have done really. why do I know this? Because I went for a 6 months refresher and talked to numerous lawyers.

Once again, I must caution against this line of thought - " I am good in English or have decent grades, therefore I can do law". I was once like this. Armed with decent grades and a stellar GP grade, I thought to myself that I "deserve" to be in an "elite" course and I'm "capable" of handling it. However struggling for a while I realise while law makes for savoury discussions, my interest in it remains at the dinner table and nothing beyond. Its really your interest more than anything esle.
yonanz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by verse)
ooh and a question or 2 about ucas.

should i bother to input my GP grade? UK unis don't care about GP right?

and for the subjects, is it okay just stating the subject name, for eg. 'history' or should i input the numerical subject code as well?
I think its wise to put your GP grades.

you dont need to input the subject code, just the subject name will do.

hope this helps.

As regards you previous question, all I can say is that the days whereby offers are dished out at ludicrous conditions are almost going to be non existent. Yes, many UK unis set lower offers for law, but not (anymore) to a ridiculous extent. If you would give me specific uni names I can advise you better. I'm sorry I know nothing about SOAS, but durham ranges from ABB-AAA. My 2 friends received AAA conditional last year, hope this helps.
verse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
thanks.

i tried to input GP under 'AO' subjects but UCAS won't let me though. it says that AO subjects were phased out in so and so year...

my grades aren't great so definitely no oxbridge, ucl or lse - AAC, GP A2 fyi. looking at SOAS, durham, warwick as top choices. next in line would be leicester, birmingham, exeter.
rachelcee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i doubt warwick or durham will take you. not to be mean or anything. they are top unis and are probably stricter in accepting internationals. warwick gives out AAB offers for subjects such as history and i suppose it will be tougher or as tough to get in for law. then again it also depends on your personal statement and your school report.
yonanz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Warwick gives out AAB, but your fate very much lies in the whim of the admissions tutor. They are quite random. Most of my friends got AAB conditionals, but for someone who already has the grades, or for someone who falls short of the condition, sometimes they are lenient and let them in. $$$$, what esle?

Put GP under A level syllabus and type AO LEVEL General Paper.

With your grade I suggest you try nottingham, bristol, warwick, durham, (insert insurance choice). These are top unis and imo you most probably can get into at least one of them, sains your insurance. Dont settle for birmingham leicester or exeter or even SOAS, these are 2nd rate unis, not worth your $$$. When you spend so much might as well gun for the best.
verse
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
rachel: no problem. i want honest opinions. thanks!

yonanz: thanks again. hmm brum, leicester, exeter i can understand, but soas is part of UoL after all. i doubt it's that bad to be branded 'second rate'...unless you're going by global reputation alone. and there are good things said about it on TSR..

hmm my friend who scored BBC got admitted to St. Andrew's so i'm going in with the 'no harm trying' mindset for whatever i'm applying for. if i can't get into a decent uni i'd rather stay local i guess.
yonanz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by verse)
rachel: no problem. i want honest opinions. thanks!

yonanz: thanks again. hmm brum, leicester, exeter i can understand, but soas is part of UoL after all. i doubt it's that bad to be branded 'second rate'...unless you're going by global reputation alone. and there are good things said about it on TSR..

hmm my friend who scored BBC got admitted to St. Andrew's so i'm going in with the 'no harm trying' mindset for whatever i'm applying for. if i can't get into a decent uni i'd rather stay local i guess.
Let me explain why I said SOAS has a 2nd tier law school.

If you ever intend to come back to Singapore and practice, you must look at issues like this from a Singaporean perspective. You must actively engage local lawyers, those "on the grounds", solicit their advice etc. Dont rely on hearsays and forum (ironic I know, since you are listening to me). Get straight to the horse's mouth.

From what I have gathered, SOAS is not popular nor particularly well-liked by local employers/firms. Alumnis are dominated mainly by 3 london unis/notts/bristol/oxbridge. A few lawyers have expressed their skepticism towards SOAS graduates.

Even from a UK perspective, SOAS is an OK uni, nowhere near top. The unis I have mentioned will be a better bet, if you ask me.

Yep your mindset is correct. Either the best or nothing. I cannot say this enough : Dont apply for the lesser unis, only to regret not trying for the top ones and thinking what could have been, and trying to peer over the fence and wonder how different things might turn out to be. All the best.
boooom
Report 11 years ago
actually honestly i think that bristols out of the way with AAC. theyre extremely strict with the minimum grades. esp for law. and as you know they dont really look at gp a or not.

soas imo is a really good sch. have quite a few friends there and theyre real smart and happy with the quality of teaching there.. so i wont say its a second grade law sch at any rate. plus, soas has a small intake every year so if you think abt it its really quite compeitive

brum's cutoff for law is AAA on its prospectus but i know tt i takes in AAB students. worth a try. as a sch its rep may not be tt good but look around the forums and ask around ( i interened in a sg firm before) and its rep its definitely better than lec for law. warwick isnt famous for law at all and to put it with notts and bristol, im not too sure abt that. but for its other courses def warwick is worth it.

just my opinions
boooom
Report 11 years ago
at any rate, i honestly think these uk unis are still better than smu coz theyre faculties have been around longer. with the exception of a few good profs in smu the rest seem to me like rojak? :x

afterall i guess it'll all boil down to how you perform when you begin to practice
yonanz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why bring smu in the picture? Is there a need to compare these unis with SMU? SMU is new, new and new. You cannot compare schools that have been around for tens or hundreds of years against one which has only been set up last year. Obviously there is an unfair advantage.

Also, ff you look at unis like durham and bristol these unis have been around for so so long but they have achieved little in terms of world reputation. I would actually say that for a new law school SMU is doing pretty darn well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (9)
7.96%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (12)
10.62%
No, but maybe I will look into it (28)
24.78%
No and I wouldn't consider it (64)
56.64%

Watched Threads