The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

The Woman In Black
Mister Pip
Moon on the Tides - Relationships
Original post by artyom
As we know, in section A, we would get a choice of two questions to answer. But what springs to my mind is that everyone is saying Eric may appear in the exam. But what is the likelihood that EVA SMITH would appear in the exam? Considering the fact that she hadn't appeared on the past papers.

Very true, but i suppose the question about Eva would be worded differently like "How do you respond to Eva through the other characters' actions?"
Or the examiners might just throw in Inspector Goole etc. again and be like YOLO :s-smilie:
Why is AQA so annoying? :cry2:
Original post by msxo
Can someone tell me what quotes to revise for OMAM relating to the nature/setting/bunkhouse which are significant? please? :biggrin: xx

Nature - opening and closing settings - Lennie (Aunt Clara and imaginary Rabbit)
Bunkhouse - "long rectangular...."
Reply 1124
Original post by Elm Tree
I think power is going to come up for Section A, Sunlight on the Grass.
And Candy in Section B.

Power? What do you mean?
Reply 1125
Can anyone please tell me what Steinbeck's main ideas are in of mice and men ?
Yay! READ THIS IF YOU'RE DOING OMAM AND THE WOMAN IN BLACK :smile:
I somewhat gathered all the past Papers for the exam we're sitting on Monday 20th and picked out the questions on oMAM and The Woman in Black only.:cool:
This should help cos then you can find out what questions haven't been mentioned and will come up on the day (that can't be guaranteed though -.-)
i tried to attach it from docs but it didn't let me:s-smilie:.. so. Hope this kinda helps. And answer them.

EXAM QUESTIONS unit 1 Modern Texts (Of Mice & Men and the Woman in Black)
Section A:
Either
1) How does hill create a sense of isolation in the novel?
OR
2) How does Hill present the setting of Eel Marsh house and why do you think it is important?

Section B:
1) Part a) What methods does Steinbeck use in this passage to present Candy?
2) And then Part b) How do you think Steinbeck uses the character of Candy In the novel as a whole to convey important ideas about society at that time?

Section A

1) How do you think Hill creates sympathy for the character of Arthur?
OR
2)How does Hill create a sense of terror for the reader towards the end of the Chapter In the Nursery

Section B
1) Part a ) In this passage what methods does Steinbeck use to present Curleys wife and the attitudes of others to her? Refer closely to the passage in your answer.
2) And then Part B) How does Steinbeck present attitudes to women in the society in which the novel was set?
(30 marks)

Section A
Either
1) In chapter 3, The Journey north, how does Hill’s description of the train journey from London to Crtyhin Gifford prepare the reader for what is to come in the Novel?

OR
2) How do you respond to Hill’s presentation of the Woman In Black in the novel?

Section B
1) Part a ) how do the details in this passage add to your understanding of George and his relationship with Lennie?
2) And then part b) How does Steinbeck use their relationship in the novel as a whole to convey ideas about America in the 1930s?
(edited 10 years ago)
Im doing Moon on the tides, Sunlight on the grass, OMAM and we did only a little on TKAM cos our teacher got injured playing footy -_-
so i think we need a revision break

Who watched suits???

[video="youtube;85z53bAebsI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85z53bAebsI[/video]
Has candy come up before?
Original post by jay_em
Power? What do you mean?

Something along the lines of how is the theme if power presented in ....
Original post by ryanb97
yeah,,, im going to keep my options open

hehe... im going to try and do 6 As-levels next year.(excluding GS) .that will be fun!

i dont think i will though... but we should all aspire!

what are you thinking of doing??

I wanted to do 6 AS Levels this year as well, but trust me when I say I'm struggling with four (excluding WorldDev and EPQ) The smartest girl in our year did 6 at the start and then she dropped 2 bc it was just too much work. I don't mean to sound like a bum, but I think you would honestly die doing that amount of work. A Levels are soooo much different and harder than GCSEs.
I want to be an English teacher, so I was going to do Literature, Maths, Chemistry, Geography, Drama and Spanish bc they were like my fave subjects or the ones I did best in - but I'm so glad I didn't! Plus Chem and Maths won't even help me into English, I guess they were just there for backup. Again, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I think you should look at your choices in a bit more closer detail....if you do 6 - good luck! :smile:
Original post by lilacwanda28
I wanted to do 6 AS Levels this year as well, but trust me when I say I'm struggling with four (excluding WorldDev and EPQ) The smartest girl in our year did 6 at the start and then she dropped 2 bc it was just too much work. I don't mean to sound like a bum, but I think you would honestly die doing that amount of work. A Levels are soooo much different and harder than GCSEs.
I want to be an English teacher, so I was going to do Literature, Maths, Chemistry, Geography, Drama and Spanish bc they were like my fave subjects or the ones I did best in - but I'm so glad I didn't! Plus Chem and Maths won't even help me into English, I guess they were just there for backup. Again, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I think you should look at your choices in a bit more closer detail....if you do 6 - good luck! :smile:

the subjects i will e doing are not as varied as yours
im going to do : maths, FM,AFM, bio,chem,physics
ive already got an A in AS maths... so you could say 5 .. but i will finish the A-level next year hehe

the best guy that i know of did 8... he went to cambridge to do maths.. he got 5A* and 2 A's

im gob smacked lol

ryan
Reply 1133
If Candy were to be the focus of part a again, and then the question for part b was along the lines of "How are attitudes to disabilities shown throughout the novella?" (or something along those lines), what quotes would you choose to use, particularly regarding Crooks & Lennie?
How would you structure the answers in both questions and in section B do you do a and b in the same essay
hey, I highly doubt Curley will come up as he is a minor character and there is not much to talk about. whereas Slim might come up as you can argue that he is a cameo of Steinbeck as he doesnt talk about his american dream and he is seen as a father figure- as everyone goes to him for advice. You can also say that he represents friendship as he walks off in the end with George.
I'm doing short stories and om&m tomorrow but in general, does anyone know how to structure the answers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ryanb97
so i think we need a revision break

Who watched suits???

[video="youtube;85z53bAebsI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85z53bAebsI[/video]

Been watching Dexter recently :rolleyes:
Original post by simranmehra6
hey, I highly doubt Curley will come up as he is a minor character and there is not much to talk about. whereas Slim might come up as you can argue that he is a cameo of Steinbeck as he doesnt talk about his american dream and he is seen as a father figure- as everyone goes to him for advice. You can also say that he represents friendship as he walks off in the end with George.

So you can write a whole essay based on those few points?
Please can someone mark this- Of Mice and Men :smile:

a) How is Curley represented in this passage? (From “at that moment a young man” to “shifted his feet nervously”)?

b) How does Steinbeck use Curley in the rest of the novella to convey attitudes towards the weak at the time it was set?

Curley enters as a ‘young man’. This can be clearly contrasted with the elderly Candy and it is clear that Curley in his youth has potential for damage. He also “wore high heeled boots” where the terms ‘high’ and ‘boots’ provide an impression of his high status within the ranch. He does not seem as humble as Slim who wore a ‘crushed Stetson hat’ which suggests that Curley is not afraid to flaunt his possessions. Steinbeck may have intended to contrast Curley with the boss who was a “nice fella” unlike Curley and this is representative of how some people became “mean” at working at the ranch for too long.

He also “wore a work glove” in his hand. Since this is an example of how Curley tried to distinguish him from others, it also indicates that he was a good worker which is surprising since he is the bosses son, the reader would have expected him to be indolent. This is an example of the harsh times of the Great Depression where people were forced to work. His eyes “passed over the new men” which is similar to that of a bird scanning for its prey. However, when “he glanced coldly” the juxtaposition of the two words provides the impression that automatically, he dislikes the new ranch members. Steinbeck may be portraying the lack of trust the ranch members had with each other but could also symbolize the predatory nature of the world where people would not rely upon support others. However, it is evident that Steinbeck is foreshadowing the confrontation between Lennie and Curley and has effectively managed to represent the savage nature of Curley who would soon become an impediment for George and Lennie achieving their dream.

Curley is described as a “mean little guy” which not only represents the predatory nature of society where Curley due to his height, has to prove himself worthy. However, in the fight scene, Curley who exclaims “no son-of-a-b**** is going to laugh at me” takes advantage of Lennie’s mental, “kid” disability and attacks him. Lennie is described as a “terrier” and the use of this anthropomorphism indicates how he is vulnerable and subject to Curley’s torture. However, Curley is afraid of Slim, despite being the boss’s son, since all he can do is “glare” at Candy despite having the strength and body advantage. Steinbeck may have portrayed this as being a situation where the strong attack the weak, and the weak attack those who are weaker. However, as Candy was under Slim’s protection, he could only attack Lennie. This can be linked to the Great Depression which was a time of survival of the fittest since the itinerant worker had to fight to secure a job.

Curley’s wife is depicted as a possession of Curley’s. For instance, she is never named in the novel and is described as being “brittle.” This adjective is used to describe something that looks strong but in fact, it is weak on the inside. This is representative of Curley’s wife who is also subject to Curley’s “glova fulla Vaseline.” Here, it seems that she is a possession of Curley and Steinbeck may have criticized this social attitude via Slim, who does not call her a “tart” or a “looloo” but rather, greets her with “hello beautiful.” Slim is someone who overlooks social restriction- in this case her gender- and shows respect to Curley’s wife.

The reader may at first believe she was pathetic in marrying Curley but later we being to sympathise wither her. For instance, Curley’s wife is lonesome and solitary but we learn the true value of women was to be mere sex objects that were worth “two an-a half! Whilst a bottle of whisky was worth just a tiny bit less- “two bits.” This clearly shows the role of women in society was to be objects for men or to stay at home, the contrast between “two bits” and “two an’ a half” is apparent as it seems that women were not worth more than alcohol. Steinbeck has presented this using a dialogue but this also shows that brothels were seen as normal and not strange. This is also symbolism behind Curley’s wife who wore “a red dress” which foreshadows their ultimate fate and the abandoning of the American Dream, Women here are represented like Eve from the Garden of Eden where death and destruction follows as a result and although red can symbolize passion, it is a warning that she will be involved with Curley’s wife’s fate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending