Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondered if there were many other people that still haven't heard anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by askingamy)
    Just wondered if there were many other people that still haven't heard anything?
    Don't worry, I haven't! Where did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenNaulls)
    Don't worry, I haven't! Where did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nottingham, Durham, Sheffield and Hull-York! you?
    I'm just glad its not just me

ReputationRep:
    Imperial, Sheffield, Leeds and Barts. Just try to forget about it!!!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me about NHS reforms and budgets in simple words? Too much info. online and I understand none. I have gathered that PCTs have been abolished and taken over by CCG. But what does that really mean? In simple english please?

ReputationRep:
    Patience is the key! Btw, what is your ukcat? im asking due to HYMS selection criteria. If you have 700+ you have guranteed interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walkers38)
    Can someone tell me about NHS reforms and budgets in simple words? Too much info. online and I understand none. I have gathered that PCTs have been abolished and taken over by CCG. But what does that really mean? In simple english please?
    It is relatively easy to find this information. Search 'NHS Reforms explained' both The Guardian and BBC News had useful, easy to understand articles. I think BBC has a 'questions answered' article on it as well. On the King's Fund website there is a helpful animation explaining the new structure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone gt any offers yet by any chance? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard anything. just from oxford... got an interview.
    But I guess it is a good sign right? At least we weren't declined...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walkers38)
    The SHAs have also been abolished
    CCGs commission all healthcare services apart from GP services
    GPs are part of the CCGs and receive 60% of the NHS budget
    NHS England commission GP services
    However, the PCTs used to receive 80% of the NHS budget
    Many redundant jobs were gotten rid of in the reforms, including managerial/accounting jobs which have now been incorporated into the job of a GP, who have not received a pay rise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinuviel)
    The SHAs have also been abolished
    CCGs commission all healthcare services apart from GP services
    GPs are part of the CCGs and receive 60% of the NHS budget
    NHS England commission GP services
    However, the PCTs used to receive 80% of the NHS budget
    Many redundant jobs were gotten rid of in the reforms, including managerial/accounting jobs which have now been incorporated into the job of a GP, who have not received a pay rise.
    Its worth noting that the CCG's still contain a large number of the staff that previously sat under the PCT - most CCG's are still lead by managerial staff that ran the previous PCT - and this is generally for good reason.

Commissioning services is a complicated process but to put it simply, the CCG agrees and provides funding for services given to the local population, generally (but not exclusively) through NHS trusts. They set the tariffs and the expected performance (Seeing patients in x amount of time, number of successful interventions, % of population receiving treatment, ect) They then hold these services to account and can withhold some of the payment if performance metrics aren't met (Within agree contract) They can also pull funding completely and halt service provision.

Think of it as NHS England and the CCG are given money to buy services for there respective populations - NHS trusts (In particular Foundation Trusts) act like independent businesses.

Its more complex than this, but thats a pretty good overview of the general concept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrZwitterion)
    Anyone gt any offers yet by any chance? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    An offer from Birmingham hehehe DD

ReputationRep:
    Offers from Birmingham and Southampton

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Offers from Birmingham and Cardiff my top choice was Kings though, still waiting on that one after interview...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ive heard some people have recivied interviews for bristol and others rejections already but the people that got rejected had better as level results then me, should i be worried? also do offers come during christmas holidays or is there no bother in checking????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownone)
    An offer from Birmingham hehehe DD
    (Original post by LibbyG)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Aspiring Medic 7)
    Offers from Birmingham and Cardiff my top choice was Kings though, still waiting on that one after interview...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lucky you! :rolleyes: Congrats on the offers, guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiring Medic 7)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    when was your kings interview and how did you feel it went

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, just want to know that did you apply for 5 or 6 years course @ Southampton?
    and what are your academic stats and ukcat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiam)
    Hey, just want to know that did you apply for 5 or 6 years course @ Southampton?
    and what are your academic stats and ukcat
    5 years
    10A*'s 1A GCSE
    4A at AS
    780 UKCAT
    Some other qualifications like spoken English, dance and advanced maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    5 years
    10A*'s 1A GCSE
    4A at AS
    780 UKCAT
    Some other qualifications like spoken English, dance and advanced maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got 827.5 UKCAT, 6As at AS, 9A* and 1 A at GCSE but no interview from southampton yet. Should I be worried? I really, really don't want to get a rejection from them.....

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.