Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I heard that all rejections are handed out this month, meaning that if you don't hear negative news this month you've got an interview...

ReputationRep:
    Really? Where did you hear this from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrumChops)
    I heard that all rejections are handed out this month, meaning that if you don't hear negative news this month you've got an interview...
    may I ask how you know that?

ReputationRep:
    I am an EU student (outside UK) and there are no exams offered(in my country) in order to gain UCAS tariff points. I had 720 in the UKCAT but they just rejected me (I believe because of the tariff points)

Note: I have taken some SAT subject tests (I don't know if they count)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bagda391)
    I am an EU student (outside UK) and there are no exams offered(in my country) in order to gain UCAS tariff points. I had 720 in the UKCAT but they just rejected me (I believe because of the tariff points)

Note: I have taken some SAT subject tests (I don't know if they count)
    I am actually in the Same case as you, but for dentistry! I am an EU applicant (France) and the exams I take are from Cambridge so approved from UK. All the qualifications they list in their tariff table is exclusive for UK applicant, so I can't have any points! They said they've rejected because my application "does not meet the general entrance requirements". I think this is unfair for EU applicant as we don't have those qualifications. Basically they only want to take UK people, which is against the EU law stating that anybody from the EU zone can enter another country's uni....
    I am going to ask my head teacher to ring them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aelith)
    I am actually in the Same case as you, but for dentistry! I am an EU applicant (France) and the exams I take are from Cambridge so approved from UK. All the qualifications they list in their tariff table is exclusive for UK applicant, so I can't have any points! They said they've rejected because my application "does not meet the general entrance requirements". I think this is unfair for EU applicant as we don't have those qualifications. Basically they only want to take UK people, which is against the EU law stating that anybody from the EU zone can enter another country's uni....
    Are you sure it's the academic requirements you were rejected on? I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they're breaking EU law so easily, they know the rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Are you sure it's the academic requirements you were rejected on? I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they're breaking EU law so easily, they know the rules.
    Well, it stated that my application "does not meet general entrance requirement"
    and I have passed the UKCaT (2480 total when they required minimum 2400 for undergraduates) and i have predicted 15 for the OIB (equivalent to A*AA on Cambridge site). I don't see where I did not meet the entrance requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it stated that my application "does not meet general entrance requirement"
    and I have passed the UKCaT (2480 total when they required minimum 2400 for undergraduates) and i have predicted 15 for the OIB (equivalent to A*AA on Cambridge site). I don't see where I did not meet the entrance requirements.
    I am an EU applicant like you (from Italy). When I asked them, they told me you have to be already graduated to apply in Barts, even for A100, if you are not from UK. Accordingly, UCAS Tariff should not count at all for non-UK students. In fact I am applying as a graduate for the A100.

ReputationRep:
    Same here. Got 2870 in the UKCAT and Band 2. Also got these scores in the SATs:

1960 in SAT 1
    750 in Math lvl C2
    700 in Physics
    680 in Biology
    680 in Chemistry
    (took them all 1 year ago in my Junior Year)
    Also I have 8.0/9.0 in the IELTS.
    Btw Aelith, I got the exact same response. I really believe they just don't want EU students outside the UK :-?.

ReputationRep:
    The 2400 requirement is the minimum requirement, where all rejections below that are rejected. If you score over that, your UKCAT and tariff are ranked together to give a joint score.

If your grades are equivalent to A*AA, they've probably given you a tariff based on the UK equivalent. A*AA isn't overly high in the grand scheme of things: UK students in this thread have been rejected with A*A*A and with UKCATs higher than 700.

The competition this year is very high, and it looks as though you need A*A*A* (or equivalent) with a good UKCAT (>2800). There is a bit of leeway; if you have A*AA and a UKCAT of 3200 you might have a chance, or vice versa e.g. a UKCAT score of 2400 but an outstanding tariff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    The 2400 requirement is the minimum requirement, where all rejections below that are rejected. If you score over that, your UKCAT and tariff are ranked together to give a joint score.

If your grades are equivalent to A*AA, they've probably given you a tariff based on the UK equivalent. A*AA isn't overly high in the grand scheme of things: UK students in this thread have been rejected with A*A*A and with UKCATs higher than 700.

The competition this year is very high, and it looks as though you need A*A*A* (or equivalent) with a good UKCAT (>2800). There is a bit of leeway; if you have A*AA and a UKCAT of 3200 you might have a chance, or vice versa e.g. a UKCAT score of 2400 but an outstanding tariff.
    I clearly understand that, but I am applying for Dentistry, and people don't have such insane Ukcat, I've seen people get offers with 615 ukcat and furthermore, I am an undergraduate, so there isn't such a harsh competition as in graduates. And it states that it was because I did not meet the general entrance requirements, meaning that i did not meet the minimum requirements, so the basics. Otherwise, they would have said that I was refused because there is too many applicants that have stronger applications.

ReputationRep:
    Well... is there any way they can withdraw their decision ? :/xD

ReputationRep:
    Barts are even rejecting on a sunday lol....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by games211)
    Barts are even rejecting on a sunday lol....
    Oh really! How do you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bagda391)
    Same here. Got 2870 in the UKCAT and Band 2. Also got these scores in the SATs:

1960 in SAT 1
    750 in Math lvl C2
    700 in Physics
    680 in Biology
    680 in Chemistry
    (took them all 1 year ago in my Junior Year)
    Also I have 8.0/9.0 in the IELTS.
    Btw Aelith, I got the exact same response. I really believe they just don't want EU students outside the UK :-?.
    Did you get rejected?

edit: oops my bad, didn't correctly read. I think they just want UK people that will serve in their country, they are just afraid that afterwards we'll leave and it won't be any benefit to their country.

ReputationRep:
    have you noticed my previous comment? They told me you have to be a graduate yet if you are from outside UK...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booper)
    have you noticed my previous comment? They told me you have to be a graduate yet if you are from outside UK...
    Even for A200?

ReputationRep:
    Even for A200?
    I don't know it but I am sure about A100 (and obviously for A101)... So it's likely to be the same for A200. This is probably because it is impossible for them to estimate a UCAS Tariff score for non-UK qualifications...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booper)
    I don't know it but I am sure about A100 (and obviously for A101)... So it's likely to be the same for A200. This is probably because it is impossible for them to estimate a UCAS Tariff score for non-UK qualifications...
    Then how come they accept international students then? And not EU people?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they'll be in the office today and answering the phones if they're giving out rejections?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.