St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants Watch

Funkachillislap
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I heard about it before hand but was never asked to sign anything when i was there :s
anotheregostar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by _Claudia_)
Question to all my fellow applicants: have you heard anything about this data protection thing? I really can't remember reading about it in the e-mails and letters I received from St. John's, but I'm starting to think that I overlooked it as I wasn't asked to sign anything during interview either
no, i didn't hear anything about it
DLCB
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
:hello:

I'm helping out in the JCR tomorrow morning and evening (blonde hair, ginger beard, generally sleepy) and there'll be people there in the afternoon so do pop along =-). I can't tell you not to be nervous but hopefully it'll be a pleasant and interesting couple of days whatever.

To everyone else hope you gave a good account of yourselves at interview and didn't hate the experience. Do feedback opinions and whatnot!
Hello! Thanks for yesterday, it was good meeting you and everyone was so nice!
My first general interview was amazing and I loved it and could have kept chatting about the topics we discussed for hours. However, the subject one was horrendous... something at the beginning caught me out and I just ended up completely stressing and couldn't think of anything and so when it came to topics that I was really passionate about I dont think I came across well. Also I found having to interact with both interviewers tricky as the woman's interview style (can't remember her name) was very different to Dr S's.
I'm still really gald that I did it though and the whole experience was unlike anything I'd done before... so I don't feel as though I lost out too much!!
Thanks again!!
Welix
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, how did it come about?

Is it really true that most people at St John's want to go to Oxford? Why St. John's, it's not the only Cambridge college that shares a name with an Oxford college. Or is St. John's particularly famous?

Sorry if I'm being an utter noob, I was just wondering
jammythedodger
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My friend said it was just a something all the other colleges chant at St John's cause its basically the richest. And he definately didn't want to go to Oxford.

Then, after everyone has chanted that at St John's, they chant back "you'll never be at John's..." :p:
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
always wondered this too, guess its just a really old traditiony thing, that everyone hates St Johns
Dubs_ski
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Welix)
Well, how did it come about?

Is it really true that most people at St John's want to go to Oxford? Why St. John's, it's not the only Cambridge college that shares a name with an Oxford college. Or is St. John's particularly famous?

Sorry if I'm being an utter noob, I was just wondering
You applied St johns didnt you? :rolleyes:
bloodlust
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To add to this, there is also a St John's college at Durham.
Welix
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dubs_ski)
You applied St johns didnt you? :rolleyes:
Funnily enough I did not :p:

I've got my dice played for Trinity Hall
Dubs_ski
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Welix)
Funnily enough I did not :p:

I've got my dice played for Trinity Hall
Ah fair nuff, my mate applied there, its quite quaint :yep:
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The old stereotype for students at St. John's was apparently, according to some students I spoke too, 'a bit thick but with lots of money'. Apparently they used to be a bit... arrogant? It's just a song people sing to show how much they don't like St. Johns.
I've met plenty of lovely people at St. John's though, so as far as I'm aware it's just a tradition now.
Welix
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ah fair nuff, my mate applied there, its quite quaint :yep:
One of the several things that caught my eye there :yep:
Welix
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by becbec :))
The old stereotype for students at St. John's was apparently, according to some students I spoke too, 'a bit thick but with lots of money'. Apparently they used to be a bit... arrogant? It's just a song people sing to show how much they don't like St. Johns.
I've met plenty of lovely people at St. John's though, so as far as I'm aware it's just a tradition now.
So are you saying that people at Oxford are "a bit thick but with lots of money" :p:. The connection to Oxford in particular must come from somewhere!
Dubs_ski
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Welix)
One of the several things that caught my eye there :yep:
What, my mate? :p:
Welix
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What, my mate? :p:
What else :sexface:
_Claudia_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ah, good to know nobody else heard either. Thanks guys!
groovy_moose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Welix)
So are you saying that people at Oxford are "a bit thick but with lots of money" :p:. The connection to Oxford in particular must come from somewhere!
the connection to oxford is the insulting bit... Seeing as how cambridge and oxford are 'bitter rivals' (supposedly),we're saying we'd rather go study with our worst enemies than go to st johns. It's just one long insult, none of the rest of the content really means anything...
around
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
'apparently' there was a big punt race a hundred years ago or something and john's managed to kill someone during it.

This story is probably a load of complete tosh, but it's what I've been told.
Welix
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by groovy_moose)
the connection to oxford is the insulting bit... Seeing as how cambridge and oxford are 'bitter rivals' (supposedly),we're saying we'd rather go study with our worst enemies than go to st johns. It's just one long insult, none of the rest of the content really means anything...
I see. Sounds like fun tradition to be at the dealing end of :p:

(Original post by around)
'apparently' there was a big punt race a hundred years ago or something and john's managed to kill someone during it.

This story is probably a load of complete tosh, but it's what I've been told.
:rofl:
Leviathon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't know the answer to OP but this "bit thick but with a lot of money" business makes me think of a name given to some of the posher Oxford colleges, including Oriel, which is a clotted cream college: i.e. rich, white and thick.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1047)
79.08%
Leave (277)
20.92%

Watched Threads